Fakarava and Rangiroa

yvonneh

We're stopping in Ragiroa in April while on a PG cruise and would like to go to the Blue Lagoon. We apparently will be there for the whole day (9AM to 6PM). Has anyone successfully (without staying at one of the hotels) booked an excursion to the Blue Lagoon recently? If so what tour operators are offering them? Any information would be appreciated as I have been trying to contact operators listed from various sites without success.

Hi. Let me know what you find out either here or elsewhere. Also April 2017 but on a Holland-Amer. cruise. As accomplished Snorkelers with gear that's what we want to do...Blue Lagoon snorkeling and Motu lunch, or Drift Snorkel Tiputa Pass, not SCUBA. We hear Hotel Kia Ora is base of operations for such things. A Mr.Ugo runs the show they say. Six Passengers Dive is the name of their DiveShop partner. We've snorkeled Rangiroa but not to Blue Lagoon. I'm thsteinman AT gmail DOT com Good Luck. Locomotiveman

WE stopped at Rangiroa on the PG and then went back for 6 nights. Top Dive is the dive shop that is on site at the Kia Ora, the only large resort on Rangiroa. If you to walk from where the ship tender drops you off to the Kia Ora it is about a 15-20 minute walk. Just 5 minutes later you will come to the Top Dive shop. They are on site as well at the Kia Ora but their main operation is just past the resort. You would need to walk another 10 - 15 minutes to get to the other dive operator, The Six Passengers. I used both during my stay.

Snorkeling at the pass is very good. Again, I would not spend the time from the cruise trying to get to the Blue Lagoon. This may sound great but there seems to be a "Blue Lagoon" at almost every place we visited.

Both Top Dive and The Six Passengers are dive operators. They may offer s snorkel excursion if you email them in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
We're stopping in Ragiroa in April while on a PG cruise and would like to go to the Blue Lagoon. We apparently will be there for the whole day (9AM to 6PM). Has anyone successfully (without staying at one of the hotels) booked an excursion to the Blue Lagoon recently? If so what tour operators are offering them? Any information would be appreciated as I have been trying to contact operators listed from various sites without success.

We did a tour to the Blue Lagoon during a port call in Rangiroa on the Ocean Princess in February 2014. We used the company listed here, booking directly with them. There were 14 from our ship on that tour, one of the other passengers got a group together via Cruise Critic and then booked directly with the tour guide. At the lagoon, we were joined by another boat of passengers who had come from the hotel so in total there were about 30 people for the trip. It is a beautiful place but the ride across the lagoon is really rough!

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/tahiti-and-french-polynesia/tuamotu-islands/rangiroa/activities/boating-cruises/tereva-excursions-jean-pierre

As a 40/mph boat owner myself I'm wondering what's too ROUGH to Rangiroa's Blue Lagoon by Zodiac? Airborne pounding and nausea? Or just wet bouncy bouncy for Hour and a half? I booked a Plongee Tour's Zodiac in mid-April, 2017. I'll report back. LocoLoco1 TOM

As a 40/mph boat owner myself I'm wondering what's too ROUGH to Rangiroa's Blue Lagoon by Zodiac? Airborne pounding and nausea? Or just wet bouncy bouncy for Hour and a half? I booked a Plongee Tour's Zodiac in mid-April, 2017. I'll report back. LocoLoco1 TOM

Well, we had your second option on the way there and your first option on the way back :-)

I think for people who aren't used to riding in a boat and only would experience the tenders to and from a ship on their cruise, it's not what they were expecting on their holiday. Looking forward to your assessment as an experienced boater

I just spoke with someone from Tereva Excursions and am in the process of booking the tour. Thank you for all of the assistance.

Excellent, glad you were able to get in contact with them. It really is a beautiful place, I'm sure you will enjoy it.

• 1 year later...

Help for Fakarava please. I will be there next month and the ship offers no excursions. The fakarava dive lodge and Fakarava Excursions are both booked. Can anyone recommend others or are there usually tours when I get off the ship. I am traveling on my own so don't really want to wonder on my own.

Thanks

• 4 months later...

I think there were, but don't remember for sure - and it's now been 2 years since I was there! Maybe you could ask on the Paul Gauguin (spelling) Board of Cruise Critic if nobody else can give you an answer.

One thing that can be a little confusing is that there are two places where cruise ships dock for Rangiroa. I'm not sure what's available where!

My photos of Rangiroa are here, if you'd like to take a look: http://www.pbase.com/roothy123/rangiroa_fp&page=all