Project Runway?

BlueHerons

So here we go again --

It was interesting to me that the judges (Misrahi, specifically) seemed to think that Merline had the thought to create her cut-out-sleeve dress from the get-go, and went about accomplishing her plan, whereas some other designer (can't remember which one...) they thought changed his plan as he went along. Based on what we, the audience, saw, it was just the opposite! Merline opened up her sleeves because Fulenwider said her dress was too covered up.

Anyone else not care for Anne Fulenwider's stern persona? I'd much rather have Tim Gunn, who was so encouraging and a friend to all, even if his design suggestions didn't always work out in the final judging... : (

Kinda surprised to see Georgina is still judging. Guess this was filmed before the Weinstein revelations (BTW, how come I'd heard about him decades ago? I'm sure not in show biz circles)? I know she announced she was leaving him after this all started -- maybe $12 million richer. I'm not blaming her per se, but could she know nothing about this after 10 years of marriage?

I LOVED Ari's dress. Suspect it would have won the whole thing if her team had scored higher.

I wasn't surprised Casanova was the first to go. When he made his first all-stars I figured it was for TV personality/whatever. His designs were all over the place. He only does sexy which doesn't always work.

Agree about Anne F. not being very nice/war. But she might be bringing more value in her comments.

Agree about Anne F. not being very nice/war. But she might be bringing more value in her comments.

She certainly did for Merline and Char, who both "sexed up" their dresses based on Anne's critiques, and then received very favorable comments from the judges. Edmund, too, changed his dress based on her comments, and it was pretty well-received.

To me, it will be a different sort of competition if the designers simply do what Anne says and then succeed... I know that Tim's advice didn't always work out well for the designers, but I guess I liked the tone he set, which was less "do as I say," and more "make it work! " -- meaning "decide what to do based on your own design sense."

We shall see how things evolve in this show.

To me, it will be a different sort of competition if the designers simply do what Anne says and then succeed... I know that Tim's advice didn't always work out well for the designers, but I guess I liked the tone he set, which was less "do as I say," and more "make it work! " -- meaning "decide what to do based on your own design sense."

We shall see how things evolve in this show.

Agree completely.

That was interesting.

Noticed that the editing warmed up Anne significantly. Must have heard your complaint, Seagoing Mom!

Agree with the top three, but I rather liked the other two more, mainly because they felt more like "clothes." I especially liked Ari's coat/dress. She's my early favorite.

Also agreed with who went home. I've always rather liked that woman, but her outfit was a sad mess.

The trouser train. Hmm. Totally impractical, but aren't all clothing trains? It did look cool on the runway, though.

For me this was one of the worst challenges of all time. Pairings where one does the food and the other the wine? The wine doesn't give you a lot to work with.

Wasn't too wild about anything but no problem with who won and who left (even though it she was my early favorite -- which shows what I know).

For me this was one of the worst challenges of all time. Pairings where one does the food and the other the wine? The wine doesn't give you a lot to work with.

Neither does asparagus or an egg yolk. ;p

I would have declined the "prize" of a five-course dinner at that restaurant. I don't like my food to be art.

The idea was to have the designers be inspired by visuals, so for every season they are taken to many venues. Museums, performances, downtown buildings are chosen, and they must sketch accordingly. Can wine and food be a basis for fashion design? Yes, depending upon the designers creative taste. Sadly Ari and her partner went home.

So this unconventional challenge was about as exciting as being inspired by a piece of cauliflower. Not much to work with, and although I hated Helen's two-faced drama ("I didn't mean to call anyone out for using a glue gun"), she had a point that gluing isn't sewing.

So this unconventional challenge was about as exciting as being inspired by a piece of cauliflower. Not much to work with, and although I hated Helen's two-faced drama ("I didn't mean to call anyone out for using a glue gun"), she had a point that gluing isn't sewing.

Agree completely.

Frankly I was surprised the outfits came out as well as they did.

However, I am inspired by Alyssa this season. I've adopted her new haircut (well, close -- some of it has to grow out a bit). I really love the versatility of that long/short cut. And I am going to look for some full-ear earrings.

I agree with the judges' decision to send Candace home on this challenge. The skirt of her dress was not figure flattering. Although Helen's was not inspiring either, the fit was better.

I'm not a fan of the unconventional material challenge. To me, it's a waste of time, and the materials must be very uncomfortable for the models to wear. The whole point of it must be to stretch the designers' imaginations.

'

The "make a ball gown out of balls" challenge paired with the "Balls Out!" title were so hokey that I had trouble taking any of this episode seriously. The clothes were uninteresting to me as well, given the preschool color palette. How can one make anything remotely sophisticated with primary and neon colored plastic toys? Helen made the attempt to overcome the rainbow-bright problem by creating a textile with a somewhat more sophisticated color scheme, but taking the time to create the fabric resulted in her designing a blah dress. And I don't care what she said on her high-horse about the evils of gluing -- designers have ALWAYS glued garments in unconventional challenges -- sometimes it's all they CAN do!

I was shocked that Stanley and not Fabio won this challenge. Nobody created a ball gown at all, and IMO, Fabio's dress was at least sexy and "evening." Stanley's (not even taking into consideration the unfortunate color) was unflattering, dowdy and "office." Maybe it looked much better in person than on my TV screen!

And I shall have to check out Alyssa's hair style since Sea Bunny admires it -- I have not even noticed Alyssa's hair, I'm too busy gawping at the incredibly unflattering garments they are dressing her in!!!

And I shall have to check out Alyssa's hair style since Sea Bunny admires it -- I have not even noticed Alyssa's hair' date=' I'm too busy gawping at the incredibly unflattering garments they are dressing her in!!![/color']

She wears it different every time you see her. It's basically a floppy mohawk -- long on top and short everywhere else. You can't tell much when she wears it back. I'm mainly wearing it flopped to one side, falling in my eyes (when it gets long enough).

If you watch the "Lethal Weapon" series it's like Riggs hair, only not quite as long.

And when you see Heidi in that dress, don't you just wonder what she would have said about it if it had been presented on the runway by one of the PR contestants?

Heidi was always one to criticize the designers' bodices -- whether they flattered or did not flatter the models boobs -- all the while wearing no bra and having her "mature" bosom very unflatteringly exposed, IMO.

I feel the same way about Alyssa -- how can she judge the taste and fit of the contestants' garments when she herself shows up most weeks in outfits that are so over-the-top unflattering? To me she is an example of trendiness/design for its own sake, with no thought to whether the trend/design works for the wearer. It looks like a deliberate attempt to overwhelm her body with "design" for the unnecessary and unsuccessful purpose of camouflaging her "non-size zero" figure and mature age. Very unfortunate, I think, to bypass the great opportunity to dress her in stylish, modern outfits that would highlight her age and figure and be truly stunning. You know, like all of US try to do! ;)

First of all, I do not have sensitive skin but I used one Rodial skin cream one time and my face broke out like crazy. It was part of a free sample kit. I threw it all away.

Second, Anne certainly didn't give anyone good advice this week. Just the opposite. Glad they didn't listen. Except Merline, who did listen and got slammed.

Anthony's dress was one of the best I've ever seen on this show. But I had no problems with the winner, either.

Wouldn't Ken's outfit turn heads on a cruise formal night? I mean that in a good way.

I was disappointed Anthony did not win after all the hugely complimentary things the judges said about his dress, including "we've never seen that before" and "how did you get the sleeves to do that? -- I felt Fabio's dress was a "been there, done that look." We've seen the paper bag waist before, and it is IMO still very bulky and unflattering -- especially with that thick rope belt! LOVED the dark floral sheath dress fabric, though!! When Anne said his sheath look "grandma," I thought he might create a "down to there" deep-V neckline to "youth" it up; I never expected the black overskirt.

I thought Ken's orange jumpsuit was a stunner! -- and the most "superhero-ish" of all the looks, even if it had some construction flaws. I felt it was a shame the impact of his garment was overshadowed by the bald cap. But just shows how much difference styling makes.

And I was disappointed Merline was not sent home for that "we've already seen this dress from you, and it's bad every time" Star Trek dress in industrial grey!!! How consistently bad does she have to be to be shown the door??

The one thing that struck me in this episode was how few of the designers thought up superpowers that were oriented toward benefiting others. I guess that is the influence of the Marvel Comics movies phenomenon: "Superpowers" these days seems to mean "freakishness." So called superheroes are less heroes than just possessors of some weird strength or ability -- like Anthony's girl who got so hot she could inflate her sleeves and fly. Not in the "heroic" genre, to me -- just "abnormal." But I wax philosophical... :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
I am in the middle of watching (as everybody else must be...)...

Is anyone else just "over" Anne F.? Maybe her middle name is Debbie?..as in Debbie Downer...? (no offense to all the lovely and agreeable Debbies out there... : )

She is so different than Tim. She criticizes, but Tim critiques and encourages. I’ll bet she’s NOT an easy boss.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums