How Fancy?

MomSwag

I don't wear dresses.

Exactly how fancy is the dress I'll need for dress up night on the cruise?

If I'm spending $$ on it, I'll need to be able to wear it again. Not that I have many places to wear it once I get home. But still.....

Also, I am unable to wear heels, so it needs to look good with...something besides heels. I only own tennis shoes.

Edited by MomSwag
Forgot a detail

Most dress up nights I wear black slacks and the nicest black shoes my feet will tolerate. Sometimes I can wear sandals. Often I must wear lace-up shoes. On top I have worn several things including a lined black lace blouse and a black Chanel-style jacket with faux pearl trim.

Have fun no matter what you wear.

Vicki

Who & where are you cruising? I haven't done a formal night since 2011 (not because we ate in the buffet- because we cruised lines without formal nights...But even in 2011, I think I wore a black knit dress with sandals and nice® jewelry, because knit is easy to pack and that was a long trip in Europe....)

Cruise lines have relaxed their "formal nights" for many reasons. A nice pair of pants and a top with some bling (or not, your choice) with sandals or flats will serve you well. You will see ALL kinds of dress, from long dresses to cocktail dresses to pants and tops.

Who & where are you cruising? I haven't done a formal night since 2011 (not because we ate in the buffet- because we cruised lines without formal nights...But even in 2011, I think I wore a black knit dress with sandals and nice® jewelry, because knit is easy to pack and that was a long trip in Europe....)

Carnival....Western Caribbean

Many, many women do not wear dresses......and also, there is no need to spend "alot of $$" even if you are wearing one.

Stores have sales all the time. Not everything has to be expensive and as for heels, I haven't worn high heels in years and years.

A pretty pair of black sandals go with 99% of my outfits.(they are low to mid heel)

Slacks and tops are totally acceptable. Actually, I would say most gals wear them more than dresses. I have no scientific study

behind that.....but just from cruising for the last 15 years. It is something that is pretty easy to see.

As mentioned, pants, capris, a top (other than a tshirt-or even a dressier tshirt with simple jewelry), and flats work. Ships are a lot less casual now. Also, you have the option of not dressing up. Many don't. You have to weigh the options, A/Do you want to dress up? B/Do you want to spend money on clothing you will rarely get the chance to wear at home?

Remember it is YOUR vacation, so whatever you choose will be perfect for you.

Have a terrific time. Happy sailing.

As mentioned, pants, capris, a top (other than a tshirt-or even a dressier tshirt with simple jewelry), and flats work. Ships are a lot less casual now. Also, you have the option of not dressing up. Many don't. You have to weigh the options, A/Do you want to dress up? B/Do you want to spend money on clothing you will rarely get the chance to wear at home?

Remember it is YOUR vacation, so whatever you choose will be perfect for you.

Have a terrific time. Happy sailing.

Hi Linda, I think you mean to say ships are a lot more casual now;)