Palo dress code

DCLCrazy

I know there have been some questions about the official dress code for Palo. I’m on the Wonder now and took a picture of the rules. At least for brunch. I’ll check again and see if it’s the same for dinner when I go this week. a8f9844b53d79e37a6af2ef430ca9d4c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I know there have been some questions about the official dress code for Palo. I’m on the Wonder now and took a picture of the rules. At least for brunch. I’ll check again and see if it’s the same for dinner when I go this week. a8f9844b53d79e37a6af2ef430ca9d4c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the picture. Do you mind if I save it for my files?

My apologies. I just went to the DCL web site to copy and paste the Palo dinner requirements only to find that they have been changed to be the same as the brunch dress code posted above. Wow! That's a significant change.

Correct. A jacket for men has not been a requirement for a while now. Only in remy on the Dream and fantasy.

Correct. A jacket for men has not been a requirement for a while now. Only in remy on the Dream and fantasy.

The requirement for men used to be a jacket OR tie (not both)...the biggest change is that you can now wear jeans provided there are no holes. Bottom line, you can go to Palo in jeans and a t-shirt, provided the shirt has no offensive language. That's a huge change.

The requirement for men used to be a jacket OR tie (not both)...the biggest change is that you can now wear jeans provided there are no holes. Bottom line' date=' you can go to Palo in jeans and a t-shirt, provided the shirt has no offensive language. That's a huge change.[/quote']

WHAT? I'm not part of the dress code police in the MDRs, but we enjoyed dressing up for Palo and the ambience. NIce jeans is one thing, but a tshirt? Seriously. Next they'll be dumbing down Remy.

WHAT? I'm not part of the dress code police in the MDRs, but we enjoyed dressing up for Palo and the ambience. NIce jeans is one thing, but a tshirt? Seriously. Next they'll be dumbing down Remy.
I will never understand why what I'm wearing could affect someone else's enjoyment of something.

If you want to dress up, dress up. I dress up every day for work. I don't want to dress up on vacation. I'm not comfortable that way. Just don't look at the people in t-shirts and jeans. It's all stupid societal made up crap anyway. Come naked. It won't make my food taste any different.

I just really don't understand.

Sent from my HTC U Ultra using Tapatalk

I will never understand why what I'm wearing could affect someone else's enjoyment of something.

If you want to dress up, dress up. I dress up every day for work. I don't want to dress up on vacation. I'm not comfortable that way. Just don't look at the people in t-shirts and jeans. It's all stupid societal made up crap anyway. Come naked. It won't make my food taste any different.

I just really don't understand.

Sent from my HTC U Ultra using Tapatalk

Palo is intended to be an upscale unique dining experience. As I stated, I have no problem with the change of dress code in the MDRs. If you don't want to at least do the resort casual thing, then stay with the MDRs.

Palo is intended to be an upscale unique dining experience. As I stated, I have no problem with the change of dress code in the MDRs. If you don't want to at least do the resort casual thing, then stay with the MDRs.

I will reword my observation: I do not understand how what I am wearing (while sitting at a different table from you) can in any way affect your "upscale dining experience". Just don't look at my table and enjoy your food and service. That's what you're going for isn't it? If you want to pretend that you only hobnob with the rich and famous maybe join an elite country club in the Hamptons.

Disney has decided they like my money more than they like creating some false sense of elitism in their upscale dining rooms. I definitely like this move as the dressing up part has kept me away from this dining experience that I otherwise was very interested in. If you don't like looking at my attire while you eat, maybe you should cruise on another line.

I'll probably wear a golf shirt and some jeans. Mainly because I don't want people like you saying something to me because I decided to wear a t-shirt.

Throughout the last almost 20 years, DCL has become increasingly casual with increasing numbers of people openly flaunting the "suggested attire" in both the MDRs and specialty restaurants and appearing on various social media sites talking about how they have no intention of dressing up. On the one hand, I do understand as another major change during this time has been the advent of luggage fees charged by most airlines. On the other hand, I think it is sad that people are choosing to not participate in the ambiance which DCL has created in the various venues...but it also reflects changes in society as a whole. Look at what people wear to a wedding or other special event today as opposed to 20 years ago...and I can remember when my grandmother would dress to go shopping! And there is an increasing trend toward the attitude that "no one is going to tell me what I (or my child) can do. Any rule or standard is victim to the "I paid my money and I'll do as I please" attitude.

For whatever reason, DCL has chosen to go with the flow and alter their dress code in Palo. It will make a lot less work for the manager who tries to enforce the requirements as there are very few requirements remaining. These changes are also seen on many other lines, although not to the extent as on DCL. "Formal night" on most mainstream lines has evolved to "dress up a little" night. Only the truly upscale lines maintain anything like the elegance of cruising that is reflected in the movies. By declining to participate in the "story" that Disney tries to create, a bit more of the sparkle dims. Oh well.......

Throughout the last almost 20 years' date=' DCL has become increasingly casual with increasing numbers of people openly flaunting the "suggested attire" in both the MDRs and specialty restaurants and appearing on various social media sites talking about how they have no intention of dressing up. On the one hand, I do understand as another major change during this time has been the advent of luggage fees charged by most airlines. On the other hand, I think it is sad that people are choosing to not participate in the ambiance which DCL has created in the various venues...but it also reflects changes in society as a whole. Look at what people wear to a wedding or other special event today as opposed to 20 years ago...and I can remember when my grandmother would dress to go shopping! And there is an increasing trend toward the attitude that "no one is going to tell me what I (or my child) can do. Any rule or standard is victim to the "I paid my money and I'll do as I please" attitude.

For whatever reason, DCL has chosen to go with the flow and alter their dress code in Palo. It will make a lot less work for the manager who tries to enforce the requirements as there are very few requirements remaining. These changes are also seen on many other lines, although not to the extent as on DCL. "Formal night" on most mainstream lines has evolved to "dress up a little" night. Only the truly upscale lines maintain anything like the elegance of cruising that is reflected in the movies. By declining to participate in the "story" that Disney tries to create, a bit more of the sparkle dims. Oh well.......[/quote']

But you can still dress up as much as you want. I really don't understand why anyone would be upset with someone not dressing up. Why do you want to force me to do something I don't enjoy. I like the way Disney does it now. The formal night ends up being a really interesting night. Many many people dressed to the nines and clearly having the time of their lives essentially playing dress up. I enjoy looking at the outfits the same as I do when we see people dressed up for Halloween (we usually cruise in October). But it's also fun to look over and see the people who have clearly embraced cruise casual and also seem to be having the time of their lives. Just worry about yourself. Rules that are made for safety and consideration of others (pool rules, muster drills, being quiet in the quiet areas, respecting the smoking areas, etc.) should be followed. Dress codes are an archaic form of class warfare. It is expensive to buy, keep, maintain, pack, and clean formal wear. The "commoners" could not keep this formal appearance up. It was a way to make sure you could identify on sight who had money and who did not. That is not the case on a cruise nowadays. Once prices came down and cruises were accessible to the "commoners", dressing up was just that - playing dress up. We have had a societal shift. What I wear does not affect someone else in any way. I can't understand how it possibly could.

I understand the cultural changes in attire that have occurred over the last two decades. We spent 10+ years in Southern California and jeans are the most common attire almost anywhere, even at a nice club. . I don’t really have an issue with Palo allowing jeans, but we prefer to dress up for Palo - I add a tie and put on a sports coat.

There is a line that needs to be drawn though. We saw a woman in super short work-out shorts in Palo, with a slightly nicer top. To us, that was not appropriate in a fine dining venue. And we saw a guy turned away in an outfit I can’t describe (almost a pajama) but it seemed liked the right thing to do. And with due respect to a prior poster, I won’t be going to Palo if he/she is up there “naked”.

It’s not about commoners vs the elite. And it’s not about money - dockers aren’t much more than jeans! I buy both at Costco! It’s about making fine dining a special experience. I don’t want to dine in Palo if people dress sloppy in that venue. Some of you don’t care, and that is of course your right, just as it is mine to have a different view. DCL has to weigh all of this and determine what they want the venue to be.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The dress code to allow jeans was altered all the way back in April 2016. I'm kind of surprised at the amount of people that didn't know it had changed.

There is a line that needs to be drawn though. We saw a woman in super short work-out shorts in Palo, with a slightly nicer top. To us, that was not appropriate in a fine dining venue. And we saw a guy turned away in an outfit I can’t describe (almost a pajama) but it seemed liked the right thing to do. And with due respect to a prior poster, I won’t be going to Palo if he/she is up there “naked”.

There was a lady on my last cruise (Wonder, Sept '17) who seemed to always wear what I call "couch couture" - a t-shirt that was several sizes too large (really it was one step from only being good as a rag), track pants and running shoes. The particular day I attended Palo Brunch, she was a couple tables across from me in that very get-up, with her bikini straps (FYI this was an Alaska cruise) clearly visible through the very stretched neck-hole of her shirt. I'm not the kind of person that would go out of my way to complain unless it was a seriously offensive situation, but I was surprised she was allowed in. A year before on the Magic, a gentleman was asked to change shoes before being allowed in for Brunch.

Edited by ivanp91

Does anyone know if Palo is having a hard time getting reservations? If so, DCL might be trying to generate more traffic by relaxing the dress code. Likewise, if Remy isn't filling, easing the dress code in Palo might drive those seeking a more refined experience to book a table in Remy. These changes are likely driven by profit margins as much as anything else.

From our experience, demand for Palo can be mixed. For example, we were on the Fantasy between Christmas and New Years and, remarkably, Palo was not crowded. We had our Christmas dinner in Palo and it was a nice, relaxing, two-hour dinner. Our server was not busy with many other tables. The brunch was a bit more crowded, but not fully booked. Contrasting to back-to-back cruises we just completed on the Wonder - the 7 night Southern Caribbean itinerary followed by the 4 night repositioning cruise to Port Canaveral. For both of these cruises, Palo was fully booked, and Disney took actions to accommodate as many guests at dinner. For example, for one of our Palo dinners they opened up the private room in the back and created two tables for four and two tables for two. We sat back there and enjoyed being in that part of the venue (nice mural on the wall). Brunch hours were extended one hour on either end to accommodate guests. Nonetheless, there was still an occasional open table, although eventually guests were seated. Despite the Palo being more crowded, our sever (Sasha from Croatia) paced a two hour dining experience for us and we had some of the best experiences ever in Palo.

I have already commented on dress code. I do think allowing jeans causes a few more folks to book Palo, but most people in the venue were dressed up from jeans, and I personally do not think DCL needs to further relax the dress code. Thats just one opinion and I know it is not fully shared by all!

• 2 weeks later...

We ate at Palo after our wedding ceremony. Our wedding planner "suggested" in the nicest way possible, that we needed to change before going to Palo. I actually thought this was a bit extreme. We were definitely dressed up for our WEDDING, but we ended up needing to go back to our room and switch certain items of clothing before we could go to eat at Palo.

We ate at Palo after our wedding ceremony. Our wedding planner "suggested" in the nicest way possible, that we needed to change before going to Palo. I actually thought this was a bit extreme. We were definitely dressed up for our WEDDING, but we ended up needing to go back to our room and switch certain items of clothing before we could go to eat at Palo.

What in your wedding attire was "objectionable?"

What in your wedding attire was "objectionable?"

We totally incorporated Disney into our wedding attire.

I went for the traditional Cinderella wedding dress look, but instead had the dress altered to be super short (way above the knee) and I had hidden Mickeys in my dress. I wore custom-made wedge flip flops that matched the dress. It was suggested that I change into dress shoes before going to Palo. NOTE: I did NOT change my shoes.

Hubby wore a Disney shirt, dress shorts, and Disney shoes. It was suggested that he change from the dress shorts into pants. It was also suggested that he switch the Disney shoes to dress shoes. He obeyed.

Ironically, while in Palo, we were spotted by a guest who had seen us taking photos around the ship after the ceremony....and they wanted to know WHY he had changed out of his Mickey shoes.

Oh well...I'm sure you looked great, but I can see how that violated the 2016 dress code. On the other hand, we saw one of the theatre actors come in with presumably her family....their contract was over that week and several of them had families on the ship. She was wearing white denim short shorts with sparkles and a matching top--a very cute outfit and she obviously had the body for it, but total violation in so many ways. No one said anything.