[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:49 AM.
Rhine, Germany
2,317 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
Hello Daisi,

what a great idea! I am sure you will love it. As you have booked your train already it almost only remains for me to ask: second or first class? Have you booked seats as well? Very advisable if you have not. Not sure which route you will go through but if you are on a EC or IC with number train you will be going through Koblenz, then Bonn and then arrive at Cologne. Both sides of the river are served by trains and there are interchanges but the fast trains only run on the left bank from Koblenz downstream, i.e. towards Cologne onwards. Not sure where you will cross the river, I think from Mainz it will also be the left bank. If so then you can see the Lorelei from the train, having passed Pfalzgrafenstein castle in the Rhine you need to look out for it. Could miss it. Just one more tip: when passing over the bridge after having left Koblenz station you cross the Moselle and can see Ehrenbreitstein fortress to your right.

Enjoy.

notamermaid
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Transocean Belvedere Danube April 2013
English Channel Crossings 1984 to present:
Calais - Dover
Ostend - Dover
Dutch island hopping 1980's
Many Rhine river short trips
336 Posts
Joined Jan 2016
Thanks notamermaid, and yes, we are going first class and the seats have been booked. I only hope I have them facing the right direction, as we aren't sure how we will do travelling "backward". I will be looking out for your hints about the castles & Lorelei. We are getting excited as the days get closer....
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Toronto, Canada
989 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
In some ways it is better to travel backwards because views recede into the distance instead of making your head turn to follow them.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

AmaDara, Vietnam and Cambodia, 2017
Aegean Odyssey, Istanbul to Venice, 2015
Bike and Barge Holland, Bruges to Amsterdam, 2014
Uniworld, Vienna to Basel, 2011
Uniworld, Tulips and Windmills, Antwerp to Amsterdam, 2010