Vancouver Info if needed

I would agree that cab to hotel from airport is more convenient than SkyTrain and walking (and even with just 2 people, SkyTrain then a cab would be a negligible saving thanks to the $5 per person inbound AddFare). BH could be walkable to the pier, depending on weather/how much luggage/how mobile you are (it's only 3/4 mile on foot). The most important thing, which you're already doing, is to avoid cruiseline transfers - they're a total ripoff from the airport, and simply insanely overpriced between pier and downtown hotels.

Thank you. Cab it will be. Yes, transfers are pricey; $24.50pp (US) each way,

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

We are going on an Alaskan cruise June 2018, with a stop in Victoria....we have done this exact itinerary in 2016 and visited the Craigdaroch castle, However this time we want to try something new. We are in port from 7:30pm - midnight and we are considering taking a taxi from the port and going to parlement, Butchart gardens, china town. Other than this we aren't sure what the MUST SEES are and how much a taxi for 4 people from the port would be or how long of a drive it is....any advise on what we can do on our own would help immensely.

We are going on an Alaskan cruise June 2018, with a stop in Victoria....we have done this exact itinerary in 2016 and visited the Craigdaroch castle, However this time we want to try something new. We are in port from 7:30pm - midnight and we are considering taking a taxi from the port and going to parlement, Butchart gardens, china town. Other than this we aren't sure what the MUST SEES are and how much a taxi for 4 people from the port would be or how long of a drive it is....any advise on what we can do on our own would help immensely.

Since this thread is specific to Vancouver questions - and with how big it is, getting off-topic will make it even harder to find previous useful info for future posters - I've reported your post to the mods and asked them to move it to a new thread if possible. In case my reply moves with it - your 7:30pm arrival means it would be difficult; Butchart itself is at least 30mins drive each way and needs 3 hours onsite for full appreciation of the gardens. Parliament and Chinatown are both easily walked from the pier - or driven past en route to Butchart - but since Chinatown is ridiculously tiny, and only restaurants will be open, and parliament likewise closes earlier than you arrive to visitors so can only be seen from the outsides, you will be able to do as much as you can (i.e. look, but not much else) to both in a matter of moments.

Good afternoon all!! We (7 adults) will be arriving in Vancouver on the Carnival Legend on Thursday 9/13/18. We are taking the early (635 am) amtrak out of Vancouver on Friday 9/14/18. From reviewing as much of the 152 pages as I could - I understand we should do the trolley to see the most of Vancouver in one day. But the question continues to burn me is a clean, decent place to stay that is not several hundred dollars. The 200 dollar range is fine as that is what we are paying in seattle - but we have not been successful for vancouver yet. Thank you in advance for any advice from the experts/experienced in Vancouver.

Good afternoon all!! We (7 adults) will be arriving in Vancouver on the Carnival Legend on Thursday 9/13/18. We are taking the early (635 am) amtrak out of Vancouver on Friday 9/14/18. From reviewing as much of the 152 pages as I could - I understand we should do the trolley to see the most of Vancouver in one day. But the question continues to burn me is a clean, decent place to stay that is not several hundred dollars. The 200 dollar range is fine as that is what we are paying in seattle - but we have not been successful for vancouver yet. Thank you in advance for any advice from the experts/experienced in Vancouver.

The Blue Horizon on Robson Street is showing rates as low as $215 USD per night for 9/13/18. Its an excellent, clean, well managed property and a big favourite with cruisers. Its on a stop for the Vancouver Trolley and has many restaurants near by.

The Blue Horizon on Robson Street is showing rates as low as $215 USD per night for 9/13/18. Its an excellent, clean, well managed property and a big favourite with cruisers. Its on a stop for the Vancouver Trolley and has many restaurants near by.

Wow - thank you so much for the quick reply. Is the Trolley the best bet for a site seeing or is there something better in the way of a tour company. As I mentioned there are 7 of us and we only have the one day in Vancouver so want to get the best we can. I so appreciate your help as this is absolutely the last thing I have to schedule for this trip.

Wow - thank you so much for the quick reply. Is the Trolley the best bet for a site seeing or is there something better in the way of a tour company. As I mentioned there are 7 of us and we only have the one day in Vancouver so want to get the best we can. I so appreciate your help as this is absolutely the last thing I have to schedule for this trip.

Given you limited time on the ground a HOHO tour is likely the best bet. There are a couple of HOHO services however I have always leaned toward the Vancouver Trolley, it was a pioneer service in Vancouver, operates year round and has live narration.

If you're all going to be staying in 'regular' rooms as couples/solos that's one thing, but if you are willing/already intended to share a room among 3+ people, good options that spring to mind are the Suite Hotels like the Rosedale on Robson or Times Square Suites (these are basically condo buildings, so have real kitchen/multiple bedroom suites). Plus of course the best bargain in the city, the YWCA Hotel which has rooms with up to 5 beds. The YWCA is also one of the most convenient hotels for Amtrak (the only ones significantly closer are serious dives), although that alone shouldn't be a big factor for you - even a far-away hotel, like Times Square, would mean a ~$15 cab ride instead of ~$8 (we have a small downtown core).

The trolley is the superior of the two HOHOs in terms of seeing most things - WestCoast does not go into East van at all, whereas the trolley has a few stops there (including Science World, which is the most convenient HOHO stop by far to explore the athlete's village and also to go check out Pacific Central station, so you are familiar with it before your early train).

All 'regular' coach tours are worse than the HOHOs in terms of seeing as much as possible, as they have fewer stops - the only way to see more than on the trolley would be a private, custom tour. With 7 people this might well offer good value if you find someone with a vehicle that will fit you all. Living downtown I can't say that I've ever used a local tour guide, but I can at least point you to ToursbyLocals, which started here in Vancouver and has many guides listed. In theory to be listed means they have jumped through a few hoops already in terms of proving their bona fides, so while it doesn't guarantee you'll have the perfect guide it does provide a reliable baseline of competence.

Whether you do consider the private tour options, or just stick to HOHO, a day means you cannot really see it all. Best thing to do, since nobody here knows you from Adam so how well your personal tastes align with mine, other locals, or past visitors is a total unknown, would be to look at general travel sites like TripAdvisor. Have everyone go over the list to top sites, pick which they like the best, and see what you come up with. With 7 adults hopefully you won't be too scared to split up and do some different things if it turns out some of you have widely different lists, which is easily done on HOHO but would be trickier using a private tour guide of course unless you book more than one. I don't like the term Must Do because there is absolutely nothing that literally everyone enjoys, but TA's lists give a solid idea of what Joe Q Public thinks is the best stuff to see and do for most folks.