Formal nights

Reggiebandit

We never saw anyone inappropriately dressed. Some jeans at dinner, but worn with nice tops and seemed appropriate. I gather that now there is a "no jeans" in the dining room rule somewhere, but it was not in effect on our Sky cruise last year, the Barcelona, the Baltics, and Beyond. The restaurant manager told us the only rule was no shorts. But everyone looked nice to me. Some dressed up more than others, but that's personal choice....I guess I must say that I am from Tucson, and we wear jeans everywhere...there is no restaurant in town that requires a jacket or a tie....we are very casual here. That being said, I did dress up more for our cruise....leggings and tunic tops. Dress "codes and expectations" I believe vary by where you live. Here my husband's big "dress up" is putting on his khakis.

Yup, that's mine. Had to wear a sports coat on Silversea. No problem, but glad to save the packing space on Viking.

I did see shorts in the Restaurant on Viking Homelands thanks to Cruise Critic threads raising awareness in the clueless. :)

Another first for me on any cruise line... last night at The Restaurant here on the Star, a gentleman showed up - and was seated - wearing a hooded warmup suit and sneakers.

He had shoes on didn't he??? Thank heavens for small mercies![emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are many things that can be more troublesome in the dining room than what someone at some other table is wearing. There can be unpleasant political conversations that you overhear, unpleasant discussions of medical conditions, excessive loudness, miserable people who complain about every dish, people at a nearby table who insist on engaging your table of 2 in conversation even though you would really like to chat with your spouse, etc. etc. It seems to me that having your own enjoyment compromised because of what someone else is wearing is self-defeating and entirely unnecessary. Maybe their suitcase never made it on the ship. Live and let live.

There are many things that can be more troublesome in the dining room than what someone at some other table is wearing. There can be unpleasant political conversations that you overhear, unpleasant discussions of medical conditions, excessive loudness, miserable people who complain about every dish, people at a nearby table who insist on engaging your table of 2 in conversation even though you would really like to chat with your spouse, etc. etc. It seems to me that having your own enjoyment compromised because of what someone else is wearing is self-defeating and entirely unnecessary. Maybe their suitcase never made it on the ship. Live and let live.

(y)

I believe Viking describes its dinner dress code as “elegant casual,” a rather confusing oxymoron. They go on to define it, fortunately, as collared shirts for men and dresses or slacks with blouses for women. No jeans. So not fancy but not strictly casual, either.

Basically, I interpret it to mean dress like you would for a semi-traditional office. Which is not appealing to me, since it just reminds me of work, which I’m trying to get away from. But I get that some people (probably mostly retired) see drsssing like this as “making an occasion,” and I will conform accordingly. I do wish they allowed dark jeans, though, which can look quite nice when drsssed up with a nice jacket or dressy cardigan.

You can have dark jeans. I paired them with nice blouse and very nice sandals. The look was elegant and I didn't have any problems.

yeah, this could happened. We arrived early morning but our suitcases arrived late night. We always have fresh change with us but definitely not

evening clothes. We also like to dress up a little for evening so you can imagine how uncomfortable we felt when we arrived to the Restaurant wearing jeans, t-shirts, and snickers :(. Well, it seems that nobody noticed this and we explained the situation to a couple next to us. We ended up having a great dinner with them.

yeah, this could happened. We arrived early morning but our suitcases arrived late night. We always have fresh change with us but definitely not

evening clothes. We also like to dress up a little for evening so you can imagine how uncomfortable we felt when we arrived to the Restaurant wearing jeans, t-shirts, and snickers :(. Well, it seems that nobody noticed this and we explained the situation to a couple next to us. We ended up having a great dinner with them.

Great story!

We don't judge a book by it's cover - and so long as people aren't turning up in ripped jeans and dirty tee shirts or swimwear in the restaurant for dinner, it's relaxing and ok by us. Smart (and that's clean and pressed) jeans, nice top and accessories - no need for bling - maybe sometimes really nice pants - but it says smart casual, and there's no need and no point in getting all gussied up.