P & O Baltic Cruise 2019 - Information appreciated.

DOBIN OF THE SEA

Thank you everyone for all this info..is useful to me as going this May on Aurora 16 nights Baltic. Have been to St Petersburg with Celebrity so will probably try one of these local tour companies this time for a more up close Russian experience.

St Petersburg - there is so much to see here on a first visit. I have been twice and enjoyed The Hermitage, a boat cruise on the river Neva, The Peter & Paul Fortress, Peterhof Palace and the Catherine Palace.

Skagen - lovely little place which is easy to wander around on your own at a relaxed pace.

Klaipeda - I enjoyed walking around this little town. I also walked right up to the top end of town where there is a sculpture park. Not up to the standard of Vigeland but still quite nice.

Gdansk - the Old Town is a must but also try to get a tour that includes a visit to the Shipyard Museum. It is fascinating to be able to see a place that featured so prominently in modern history.

Oslo - on my last visit there in May I used the HOHO bus to visit the stunning Vigeland Sculpture Park and then the Viking Ship Museum. Both excellent.

Could you let me know was the HOHO bus for Oslo near the port please ?

• 1 month later...

I would recommend buying Rick Steves' Northern European Cruise Ports guide book. It covers most, if not all of your ports of call. I have used his guide books for various cruises and find him quite amusing and informative. He also suggests walking tours, some with audio that can be downloaded free from his site. The book can be split (sacrilege, I know) into individual chapters so you dont have to carry a thumping great book everywhere, just the town you are in.

Regards :)

I think there are two areas where the cruise ships dock in Oslo. We were opposite the Opera House which is well worth a visit and you can even walk over the roof but just be aware of slightly changing levels and little steps.

There is another area where ships berth but both are basically in the city and walkable. Apart from using public transport to get from the centre to Vigeland Park and back, we walked everywhere and found the city very accessible.