Sale prices

theghegans

My mom and I have been planning on transitioning from mass market lines to WS in 2019. (We have a B2B booked next month that will eat all of our vacation time.) We’re mostly looking into Transatlantic and Europe. The thing is, looking at the insane promotions that come from 7 for 7 or holiday sales is making me anxious. I’d like to book early to make travel arrangements, but don’t want to pay 2 or 3 times what someone else does. I’ve heard on this board that WS will price match if you book an itinerary that later goes on sale. Is this true? Or, alternatively, if we wait for the sale price, how many cabins are still available?

Thanks so much!

I think you should reserve the cabin you want and wat h for sales and prices. WS honors price drops. At no time is some one paying 2 to 3 times another person. The prices normally fluctuate 500-800 dollars over the course that they are posted. You also have to consider flights, flights to Europe cost much more the closer to the date. We reserve, watch for flights, watch for sales and in the end we feel it evens out. The Trans-Atlantics represent great values. Very special experience ahead for you. Happy Sailing

Windstar changed their price assurance policy recently (around the end of last year). It used to be that if there was a price drop any time up to 7 days before sailing, they would provide a price drop, on-board credit or upgrade to match it. (Usually a price drop if it was before final payment and one of the others if after.). Now it covers up to 120 days before sailing instead of 7 days.

One thing I'll note. There was a price drop on my cruise in the December sale (just inside the 120 day window, but I'd booked when the 7 day window applied). I wanted to know how much of a drop it would be for me (sailing solo and I haven't quite figured out how the single supplement is figured) before bugging my TA. So I called Windstar. It turned out that all the cabins in my category were sold out. When my TA checked for the price drop, I also asked them to check into the lowest category balcony cabin because the drop was enough that my current fare would be about the same as the new balcony fare. I found that only the most far forward balconies were available in that class. Since the cruise included a Pacific crossing, I didn't want to be that far forward. (That might be why they lowered that fare so much because the other balcony class fares were a lot higher.)

So, if you can't take advantage of a late price drop, the people paying less aren't getting much of a choice of cabin. You may have paid more by booking early, but you had more choice of where you are on the ship.

There were good sales on my cruise before the 4 month mark so 120 days would still have been enough to get me a good fare, just not the very lowest.

Note that the price assurance policy also says "Policy does not apply to certain promotions or guests outside of the US or Canada." but I haven't every run into a case where they applied that.

Yes, but having the price drop, and then being "upgraded" from a Category B to a Category BX is not a price match.

There's no guarantee you'll get a price drop, as Windstar makes that decision.

In the past, most TAs always go on sale. The closer to sailing, the less cabins will be available.

Here is their policy:

WINDSTAR PRICE ASSURANCE POLICY

Terms & Conditions

Guests who purchase a cruise on Windstar will be eligible for reimbursement upon request if the fare published by Windstar for their specific departure and cabin class is reduced after they have made a booking and deposit, and if the request is received by Windstar at least 120 days prior to sailing. The reimbursement will be provided in the form of a shipboard credit, upgrade, fare reduction, or a future cruise credit. Windstar will determine the form of reimbursement, and the amount of reimbursement will be the difference between the fare actually paid by the guest and the published fare on WindstarCruises.com the day the request is received. Guests who select reimbursement will be eligible for any complimentary inclusive features (e.g., hotels, air, tours) associated with the new fare and will forfeit any complimentary inclusive features associated with the original fare. All requests for reimbursement must be made directly to Windstar Cruises at 1-844-211-1897 (during regular reservations hours) at least 120 days prior to sailing.

As many have mentioned, the later you wait to book the more limited your cabin selection will be. My approach has been when I find a cruise I want to book at a price I am willing to pay - I book it knowing it could go up or could go down! I can then make my flight and other arrangements. Our last cruise, the price kept going up, up, up after I booked. On our upcoming cruise, the price came down on their February sale. I called, received the new price and ended up saving about $550. This cruise is not until October, so we are still quite a way out.

Also, keep in mind that dealing with Windstar is not like dealing with a mega-ship with thousands of cabins available. Even their largest ship, Wind Surf, only has around 150 cabins/suites total. While we have never had a bad cabin on any of our cruises, there are certain cabin areas we prefer. So, we book early to try to grab our favorites.

I meant up to 120 days before the cruise. Sorry. However, if you reserve with TA some offer generous ship board credit, champagne etc., and you always have to do the math. A cheaper cruise you might lose the offerings of the TA and a cheaper fare could still be more expensive. It is all in the math. To be certain for example a $1500 cruise fare with WS will probably never go down to $1000 or $500 ( your 2-3 times cheaper ) Remember these ships do not have fares of $500 for a week. This is not mass market, with waiting lines for warmed over buffets. Believe me I understand the allure of giant ships it is all subjective and towards individual interests.

The Trans-Atlantics are extremely reasonable. I love trans-Atlantics but they are not for everyone. They are quiet, you need to like your own company, very few activivies, you have to be able to entertain yourself.

You will get superb service, great, varied, healthy food and the beauty of the ocean to call your own. Enjoy.

Yes, but having the price drop, and then being "upgraded" from a Category B to a Category BX is not a price match.

There's no guarantee you'll get a price drop, as Windstar makes that decision.

In the past, most TAs always go on sale. The closer to sailing, the less cabins will be available.

Windstar has left itself the option of doing an upgrade, but the ones I've heard of they either gave the price reduction or the OBC. I booked the Japan to Seward crossing and the first Wonders of Alaska and Canada cruise in August when each was on 7 for 7. Each was later offered on 7 for 7 for a lower price and Windstar lowered the price. Then in December, the star collector that covered both was on 7 for 7 for an even lower fare and Windstar let me switch to that. (The last one would have missed the new 120 day threshold by a few days but my booking was under the old policy.)

There's no guarantee but Windstar has been pretty nice about it.

Overall, the advice to book when you see a price and cabin you are happy with is good advice. You may not get the lowest price offered, but you can get a pretty good price. If you have a cruise you want, but the current price is too high, check each week. Unless the cruise is very heavily booked, sooner or later it will be on 7 for 7 sale or one of the other sales.

There are 99 cruises on sale ATM for the February 1 week sale. There were also a lot on sale for the September 1 week sale and the December sale.

I meant up to 120 days before the cruise. Sorry. However, if you reserve with TA some offer generous ship board credit, champagne etc., and you always have to do the math. A cheaper cruise you might lose the offerings of the TA and a cheaper fare could still be more expensive. It is all in the math. To be certain for example a $1500 cruise fare with WS will probably never go down to $1000 or $500 ( your 2-3 times cheaper ) Remember these ships do not have fares of $500 for a week. This is not mass market, with waiting lines for warmed over buffets. Believe me I understand the allure of giant ships it is all subjective and towards individual interests.

The Trans-Atlantics are extremely reasonable. I love trans-Atlantics but they are not for everyone. They are quiet, you need to like your own company, very few activivies, you have to be able to entertain yourself.

You will get superb service, great, varied, healthy food and the beauty of the ocean to call your own. Enjoy.

The 2-3 times cheaper I was getting was the current brochure fare vs. what is currently on sale for the February promotion. While we understand that premium lines are more expensive than mass market, I would be pretty salty if I paid $10,000 for a trip to Europe and then the next month it was on sale for $4,000. I just needed to know if there was some kind of policy WS had in place for those circumstances. It looks like they do, so I really appreciate the input.

The reason we are wanting to get away from the mass market lines is because we dislike the megaships and hate having to run around like chickens with our heads cut off to get to all the activities we want. We’ve done plenty of research, and a TA or Mediterranean itinerary on one of the sailing ships sounds like a perfect vacation for us. But part of that research has been getting the 7 for 7 and other promotional emails each week, which led to the anxiety I mentioned in my original post. Thank you all for alleviating some of that anxiety.

The 2-3 times cheaper I was getting was the current brochure fare vs. what is currently on sale for the February promotion. While we understand that premium lines are more expensive than mass market, I would be pretty salty if I paid $10,000 for a trip to Europe and then the next month it was on sale for $4,000. I just needed to know if there was some kind of policy WS had in place for those circumstances. It looks like they do, so I really appreciate the input.

The reason we are wanting to get away from the mass market lines is because we dislike the megaships and hate having to run around like chickens with our heads cut off to get to all the activities we want. We’ve done plenty of research, and a TA or Mediterranean itinerary on one of the sailing ships sounds like a perfect vacation for us. But part of that research has been getting the 7 for 7 and other promotional emails each week, which led to the anxiety I mentioned in my original post. Thank you all for alleviating some of that anxiety.

As with some (many?) other lines, the brochure price is largely a myth. The everyday non-sale price is typically around half the brochure price. Every rare once in a while they will have a cruise showing at the brochure price but in a few weeks it will go back to the 2-for-1 price. (I wonder if it is a mistake or whether they feel a need to sometimes offer something for the brochure price so they can claim that the discount from brochure price is real.)

For example, the August 11 Treasures of the Greek Isles isn't on the February week sale. It's brochure price is shown as $8999 but "Today's Fare" says $4399.

So when seeing how good a deal a sale price is, I compare to half the brochure price.

OP - I hope you understand that there is absolutely no guarantee that Windstar will refund the difference in fare to you in cash, if the price of your cruise drops.

My limited, but recent, experience was that they lowered my price prior to final payment with no questions asked. After final payment, when the cruise fare dropped again, they gave OBC (I had originally booked prior to the current price drop policy change). I have to say that being my first cruise experience with Windstar, I was very pleased with the way they handled things. I certainly understand why they do not refund cash after final payment, and I think their policy could have allowed future cruise credits, but I much prefer the OBC.

:rolleyes:R

The reason we are wanting to get away from the mass market lines is because we dislike the megaships and hate having to run around like chickens with our heads cut off to get to all the activities we want.

It sounds like you have done your research on this. However, if you aren’t already aware, there are far fewer on board activities to attend on Windstar. For example, there is no evening show other than the crew show one night .