Osaka port to train station to Kyoto

bobolz

I was reading the port review for Osaka and thought I read that arriving in Osaka port can take quite awhile to disembark from ship(due to govt immigration processing? ) Not sure if that applies to your ship already making stops in japan, or if that is only when Osaka is the first stop . Our cruise will have already made stops in 2 Japanese ports, so will there still be delays in Osaka?

Once disembarking do most cruises offer free shuttles into town? Are there taxis available at the port? About how long would it take to get to train station from port ? We are arranging a guide to pick us up at Kyoto train station after we take bullet train from Osaka , but don’t know when we would be expected to arrive in Kyoto .

Does anyone have a link to the bullet train website for schedules ?

Any advice or experience w this excursion that can be shared would be greatly appreciated .

Thanks

I was reading the port review for Osaka and thought I read that arriving in Osaka port can take quite awhile to disembark from ship(due to govt immigration processing? ) Not sure if that applies to your ship already making stops in japan, or if that is only when Osaka is the first stop . Our cruise will have already made stops in 2 Japanese ports, so will there still be delays in Osaka? I would say that is only if it is the first stop. We have cruised into Osaka before and there were no hold ups. It is a really great port as the metro stop is an easy 10-15 minute walk away. The aquarium at the port, the shopping centre and ferris wheel are all great to do.

Once disembarking do most cruises offer free shuttles into town? I'm not aware of a shuttle into Osaka. Mind you we visit Osaka so frequently that I didn't look at the excursion available. Are there taxis available at the port? You really won't need a taxi. They are very expensive and the train system is fantastic. About how long would it take to get to train station from port ? 10-15 minute easy walk to metro then around an hour to get to Kyoto Station. We are arranging a guide to pick us up at Kyoto train station after we take bullet train from Osaka , Kyoto station is REALLY big so make sure they give you clear instructions on where to met. but don’t know when we would be expected to arrive in Kyoto .

Does anyone have a link to the bullet train website for schedules ? All train schedules and options can be found at hypermedia.com

Your starting station with be Osakako (the metro) and the end point is Kyoto. You can put in the date and times and it will give you options and costs. You will need to buy the metro ticket separate to the bullet train ticket (and JR ticket if taking the Bentencho option). It really isn't that difficult and there are people at the stations to help you.

Any advice or experience w this excursion that can be shared would be greatly appreciated .

Thanks

Hope that helps :)

Thank you both so much. Tsutt thanks for the detailed info, exactly what I needed. .ok so if I put in osakako station(metro station) to Kyoto in the “hyperdia” site it will show us the train options and we could select the option that takes us to the Osaka-shin station for the bullet train to Kyoto , or is there another station option for the bullet ( or is the bentencho option for regular rail and only Osaka-shin bullet? ) I will review the site again to confirm the options.

However , Based on the hyperdia site , looks like we have to Switch lines when leaving via osakako Station, I was wondering how much time we should allow for that transfer to the line that takes you to Osaka-shin . We are 4 people ages 52-77, that will have small carry on luggage and have never experienced the station . I assumed that we have to buy a reserved ticket for the bullet, but what if we missed the train out of Osaka-shin station, can we use that ticket on another train?

For the metro assume that you just purchase ticket at the station at a kiosk assuming you don’t purchase anything using hyperdia site, but can you purchase train ticket in advance ? I.e before we even leave the states?

Thanks again for all your help

Thank you both so much. Tsutt thanks for the detailed info, exactly what I needed. .ok so if I put in osakako station(metro station) to Kyoto in the “hyperdia” site it will show us the train options and we could select the option that takes us to the Osaka-shin station for the bullet train to Kyoto , or is there another station option for the bullet ( or is the bentencho option for regular rail and only Osaka-shin bullet? ) I will review the site again to confirm the options.

However , Based on the hyperdia site , looks like we have to Switch lines when leaving via osakako Station, I was wondering how much time we should allow for that transfer to the line that takes you to Osaka-shin . We are 4 people ages 52-77, that will have small carry on luggage and have never experienced the station . I assumed that we have to buy a reserved ticket for the bullet, but what if we missed the train out of Osaka-shin station, can we use that ticket on another train?

For the metro assume that you just purchase ticket at the station at a kiosk assuming you don’t purchase anything using hyperdia site, but can you purchase train ticket in advance ? I.e before we even leave the states?

About to head to work so will answer your questions tonight when I get home.

Thanks so much tsutt. I actually looked at the site, looks like there are bullet trains every 5 mins and you can pay for an unreserved seat, so I imagine we could get on any train and that you are not paying for a specific train.

Look forward to your response.

You can only get the bullet train frin Shin Osaka. It’s about a 15 minute bullet train to Kyoto. I would suggest going Osakako to Hommachi (green subway) and swap to red subway to Shin Osaka. That was you only need to purchase one ticket ¥280 and will take around 30 minutes. Then you can buy your bullet train ticket and get on the next one.

However , Based on the hyperdia site , looks like we have to Switch lines when leaving via osakako Station, I was wondering how much time we should allow for that transfer to the line that takes you to Osaka-shin . We are 4 people ages 52-77, that will have small carry on luggage and have never experienced the station . It would take me normally 30 minutes from Osakako, so perhaps add an extra 15-30 minutes. I assumed that we have to buy a reserved ticket for the bullet, but what if we missed the train out of Osaka-shin station, can we use that ticket on another train? I’ve always had reserved tickets but there are unreserved tickets. Just buy the ticket when you get there. There are regular trains.

For the metro assume that you just purchase ticket at the station at a kiosk assuming you don’t purchase anything using hyperdia site, but can you purchase train ticket in advance ? I.e before we even leave the states? You get your ticket from the machine. There’s an English button but will also be staff there given there’s a ship in. If you take the subway only to Shin Osaka get the one ¥280 ticket and you keep hold of it until you exit the last station. The transfer from one subway to the other is all done underground.

Hope that helps

:)