Ovation 23rd november 5 night cruise to Hobart being advertised as a schoolies cruise

rkmw

I received an email today from Cruise Critic news.

Apparently RCI in is discussion with the agency about the

unauthorised advertised theme cruises.

RCI stated that it has not offered schoolies or chartered cruises on these ships.

Seems a bit peculiar to me that the agency advertised only RCI cruises and not one from any other cruise line!

I emailed RCI to enquire if the cruises were organised by them or with their knowledge as relevant to our booking and still no reply.

Just read the cc article . I must say as a frequent RC cruiser I was very surprised to see the schoolies cruise being advertised, as alerted to on this thread. I thought why/how would they do that, surely they don't need to go down that path to fill the ships.

Seems maybe they haven't??

Could be interesting for the TA if they were acting in isolation & RC starts getting cancellations from people who don't wish to share the ship with schoolies & probably toolies.

[quote name=megsie

I emailed RCI to enquire if the cruises were organised by them or with their knowledge as relevant to our booking and still no reply.[/quote]

Funnily enough, I just received a reply from RCI.

I’m grateful that they were courteous to reply.

But we will still just wait a while and see what happens.

As of the reply it is a cruise open to the general public (knew that).

“We ignore the ad shown on that website. However, we think that it might be a travel agency having special deals for children that age.” Knew that too!

The cruises outside school holidays are cheaper for those who want to cruise as a family.

I pay too much for my kids education to take them out during the term. So I remain at the mercy of inflated prices during school holidays. But as I said before, we usually go as soon as they are done with school in Nov/Dec, which means most public school students are still in school and prices are still good.

this cruise is not cheap now and going by RCI the fares start at $1600 pp for an inside or balcony so could the schoolies afford that unless mum & dad pay

Some could, I took two of my daughters friends with us to the USA, they funded themselves entirely from their part time jobs. That would have been about $5k each, flights, accommodation (shared), spending, Broadway shows, Disneyland etc

I pay too much for my kids education to take them out during the term. So I remain at the mercy of inflated prices during school holidays. But as I said before, we usually go as soon as they are done with school in Nov/Dec, which means most public school students are still in school and prices are still good.

I moved house to get my daughter into a very good public school, and used the $$ saved to travel! (Mostly land based, cruises are just for when I want a rest). We just got back from Scotland, and she could have hours long conversations with you about Scottish history with passion, she just wouldn't get that from a classroom. Of course if one can afford both - but for me it was a choice either/or.

In earlier years I'd sometimes pull her out for say a week at the end of term, but senior years of high school no, we had to stick to school holidays.

I pulled her out for our first cruise though, because I won it, and had no choice with the dates. Didn't want to pass it up!

I don't have kids in school but do know plenty of pe0ple who do take their kids out of school to take advantage of the cheaper prices.

I’m booked for wife’s 40th on this cruise - looks like we will have to ditch the bottle of nice champagne for some midori & lemonade to fit in [emoji317]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct-2016 Pride of America 7nt Hawaiian Islands Cruise

24-Dec-2015 Explorer Of The Seas13nt South Pacific - New Zealand Cruise

22-Jan-2015 Voyager Of The Seas3 Night Sampler Cruise

10-Jan-2014 Voyager Of The Seas3 Night Sampler Cruise

03-Feb-2012 Rhapsody Of The Seas 3 Night Sampler Cruise

I’m booked for wife’s 40th on this cruise - looks like we will have to ditch the bottle of nice champagne for some midori & lemonade to fit in [

As the schoolies cruise was originally advertised for 16-18 year olds your choice of drink might be coke to fit in!

But I have noticed a change now in the advertising of these schoolies cruises by the agency but the three RCI cruises are still offered as schoolies cruises.

Edited by megsie

• 3 months later...