Pay peanuts get monkeys!

The end is near for cruise lovers and its profit over pleasure!

Having worked security for many many years and then looking at the recent Carnival Bogan incident in depth including watching ships inadequate security and staff "kicking" maybe offenders ? on the ground I can honestly say Cruise ships security needs a whole lot and even more training and are not up to even a local country pub brawl standard!

"Pay peanuts get monkeys" is for sure correct in this instance.What would happen if they had a real typical drunken Saturday night incident occur between passengers like it is in a Tavern or Nightclub at home? Bogans Zero Ships Security "Less than Zero!" we should all be very concerned that cruise ship security is in no way up to land based security standards plain and simple.

Edited by fishtaco

The end is near for cruise lovers and its profit over pleasure!

Having worked security for many many years and then looking at the recent Carnival Bogan incident in depth including watching ships inadequate security and staff "kicking" maybe offenders ? on the ground I can honestly say Cruise ships security needs a whole lot and even more training and are not up to even a local country pub brawl standard!

"Pay peanuts get monkeys" is for sure correct in this instance.What would happen if they had a real typical drunken Saturday night incident occur between passengers like it is in a Tavern or Nightclub at home? Bogans Zero Ships Security "Less than Zero!" we should all be very concerned that cruise ship security is in no way up to land based security standards plain and simple.

I once had one hit me in the back with the wand whilst wanting me down, put me in bed for three days.

I get sanded down nearly every day at work, on a cruise was the only time it has happened, he was too busy looking anywhere but at what he was doing.

Rule 1: Never sail on a cruise ship where security guards are necessary.

Rule 2: take half as many cruises and save money so as to travel on a luxury line when you do cruise

Rule 3: always take cruises from and to foreign ports, in that way you avoid Australian bogans and actually feel as if you are on holiday abroad

Rule 2: take half as many cruises and save money so as to travel on a luxury line when you do cruise

Rule 3: always take cruises from and to foreign ports, in that way you avoid Australian bogans and actually feel as if you are on holiday abroad

Every passenger ship has security staff. Some more than others. Mainstream Lines like Carnival, P&O, Princess, Cunard, RCI, HAL etc source their security staff from the Indian Police and Army and the Ghurkas. They get paid about $20,000 p.a. The cruise lines often advertise for security staff in the Maritime employment sites. A bit unfair to use the term 'Pay peanuts get monkeys.' If the cruise lines employed Australian security, having to pay award rates of pay, up would go the price of cruises. There are some pretty dodgy Australian security officers in the industry.

My son's company charters Antarctic expedition ships carrying 100 or so pax, even they carry a couple of security staff. As for choosing a luxury line, I saw bogans on QM2 last March, of the Australian variety, not Brit Chavs. There they were on formal night in the theatre, everyone else dressed up in Tuxedos and suits, and there were the bogans in shorts and T shirts, swigging on a stubby, probably imagined they were on P&O Straya or Carnival. Suffice to say the Brit world cruisers on board were not impressed, the faces told the story, nor was I. The staff too weak to show them the door.

Edited by NSWP

I agree somewhat with the motivation behind the rules but cannot totally agree.

Rule 1: All cruise ships have security guards and I wouldn't want to be on one with out security, however, I don't think I would want security in the form of bouncers positioned around the ship.

Rule 2: I agree that taking the more expensive cruises does cut down on the number of people that fit into the bogan category. However, this can also be achieved by an longer itinerary (amount of time off and the costs involved), a very unique one (high demand makes them dearer) or a relocation one (due to airfares adding to costs) as well not just a luxury line.

Rule 3: While I agree this will cut out the Aussie bogan, it may just get another country's bogan instead. Believe me, every country as them.

Nice rules! So no more cruising for you? No such thing as rule 1 and rule 3 is not guaranteed either. [emoji56]

Still not sure how rule three would work for a New Zealander [emoji14]

Have sailed from Sydney which is a foreign port for me. The Australians numbered in the hundreds so a high chance of a few bogans on every trip.

PS what’s the Californian equivalent? I had better be prepared....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Have sailed from Sydney which is a foreign port for me. The Australians numbered in the hundreds so a high chance of a few bogans on every trip.

Don't worry, you won't miss out, no matter where you sail from there will be a group of people that will fit into the bogan category, they just may have a different accent or be speaking a different language .

North American equivalent of a Bogan...'Red Neck?; or 'Trailer Trash?.' :(

British equivalent, or fairly closely related is 'Chav.'

The encompassing international term for the species would have to be 'Feral.':o

I remember...in the old days...cruise ships used to pay off-duty NSW Police to cruise with them. In those days it was plain clothes and under-cover.

Correct, in the 70's and 80's Russian and Greek Lines did it.....I hate to admit it, but.....:o

Those football teams were hard to handle.:evilsmile::(

Don't worry, you won't miss out, no matter where you sail from there will be a group of people that will fit into the bogan category, they just may have a different accent or be speaking a different language .

I learn something new everyday! BOGAN.

Actually, in the U.S., this would be a great substitute for "red neck" or "trailer trash," both of which somewhat unfairly attribute "bogan" behaviors even to nice folks who happen to work outdoors (red neck) or choose/need to live in a mobile (or "manufactured") home.

On the Fairstar in the 1980s, security staff were from the Cook Islands. They were great guys. I recently returned from a very expensive cruise to Falkland Islands, South Georgia and Antarctica on a ship with 196 passengers. They had security staff. I think every cruiseship would have some.

Actually, in the U.S., this would be a great substitute for "red neck" or "trailer trash," both of which somewhat unfairly attribute "bogan" behaviors even to nice folks who happen to work outdoors (red neck) or choose/need to live in a mobile (or "manufactured") home.

Pretty much the same things.

On the Fairstar in the 1980s, security staff were from the Cook Islands. They were great guys. I recently returned from a very expensive cruise to Falkland Islands, South Georgia and Antarctica on a ship with 196 passengers. They had security staff. I think every cruiseship would have some.

Pretty sure they all have security of some type

Generalisations do tend to lump people into certain boxes which is not always fair.:o

We just returned from a cruise on P&O Explorer and I commented to my husband on how visible security were onboard. I know that particular ship had an incident of it’s own just a few short weeks ago so that may have been a factor.

I did like the idea (and prominence) of Youth Security here. Their obvious yellow shirts may have contributed to the almost total absence of uncontrolled teens and tweens.

I remember...in the old days...cruise ships used to pay off-duty NSW Police to cruise with them. In those days it was plain clothes and under-cover.

We’re taking our own with us - family member!

That’s if we all decide to go - booked on the advertised schoolies cruise on Ovation.

We just returned from a cruise on P&O Explorer and I commented to my husband on how visible security were onboard. I know that particular ship had an incident of it’s own just a few short weeks ago so that may have been a factor.

I did like the idea (and prominence) of Youth Security here. Their obvious yellow shirts may have contributed to the almost total absence of uncontrolled teens and tweens.

They are much less prominent on some cruises, especially during school holidays as they are busy with the kids elsewhere on the ship.

Not sure they would have the authority to be anything else but a passenger.

I guess guiding around those dodgem cars on Ovation wouldn’t go down well!

But he did like the idea of a paid for cruise for off duty police as in the old days. :D