New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

I'm cruising on the 18th on the Koningsdam, but still no cabin assigned. Does this increase my chance of getting an upgrade?

Hard to say. It's normally too early for guarantees to be assigned. They are normally around 10 - 3 days out and could even be at the port. Mind you, at the port is usually a + ;).

Best advice to check your boarding pass where you print your luggage tags. Normally the room assignment show up there fast the express docs. No idea why, but it seems to happen a lot.

You don't have long to go. Good luck :D

I'm cruising on the 18th on the Koningsdam, but still no cabin assigned. Does this increase my chance of getting an upgrade?

I’m on the Koningsdam as well on the 18th. I booked a guaranteed inside cabin and received an upgrade to a solo ocean view room 2 weeks ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How accurate are these informational posts in this sticky from 2014? Is it time for an update from 4 years ago or do these still apply?

It depends upon which posts you may be looking at.

Most are still relevant but some changes have taken place. Which posts from 2014 are you referring to?

You are best to pose your question if you have a specific one to get an up to date answer. But, yes, rooms are ready when you board, yes you can bring non alcoholic drinks in your carry on, so many of the original posts are still correct ;)

The only person who can update this thread or change it is Host Walt, the moderator.

• 2 weeks later...

I use a cane as well. I have printed and laminated a sheet stating: this seat occupied: please do not remove items ( so I can sit my drink and maybe salad or soup down, then go back for my entree...)

I use a cane and find wait staff very helpful in offering to carry my plate to the table.

yup, just finished 147 pages😱, took 4 days! Amazing info, thanks to everyone.

Question, I'm trying to figure out the internet costs and our budget during our upcominng westerdam alasaka trip. Did I read somewhere that you can access the New York Times and access ship info without buying any internet package? DH must be able to read some kind of print news. I'm thinking of just doing the "social media" package just for basic texts/messenger but that really isn't even necessary as I can do whatever I need while in port. And really, unplugging is a good thing😉

Any info is greatly appreciated.

yup, just finished 147 pages, took 4 days! Amazing info, thanks to everyone.

Question, I'm trying to figure out the internet costs and our budget during our upcominng westerdam alasaka trip. Did I read somewhere that you can access the New York Times and access ship info without buying any internet package? DH must be able to read some kind of print news. I'm thinking of just doing the "social media" package just for basic texts/messenger but that really isn't even necessary as I can do whatever I need while in port. And really, unplugging is a good thing

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Yes, you can access the HAL site, the New York Times (but it is a very abbreviated version) and the ship info ("Navigator") without buying an internet package. You do have to log in, sign up, but you don't have to purchase a package.

HAL also has the abbreviated version of the NY Times, Canadian news and other countries' news at the front desk in paper version too.

If you are taking an Ipad, you could load some of the newspaper in more detail into Ibooks for your DH when you are in port (time permitting) as well. Might have to do a page at a time, though.

A big (y) to you for reading all the pages :D

Thank you kazu, your are a cornucopia of info!! We sail on 4/29 so I'm sure I'll have another question at some point. Many thanks.....

You are most welcome - and most kind.

By all means, fire away if you have questions. If we can help we will :)

Looking at the Eurodam's deck plans, there is a note that "All staterooms are equipped with ... data port.

I take that to mean you can use a RJ-47 cable to plug in and access your wi-fi internet plan?

If that is the technical name of a USB jack/port - then yes.

If that is the technical name of a USB jack/port - then yes.

Uhh... No. It's the jack on the end of an ethernet cable. Never seen USB used in

that role, but I'll be sure to pack an extra USB cable.

Thanks for the prompt response.

Edited by Haboob
remove extra linefeed

Second time on HAL (first in 1997!) so finding this HAL for Dummies is a godsend. Thank you all! We have previously....and for several years....cruised with Oceania.....so information about sodas, water, coffees; all uncharges is most helpful We are doing Seattle to Vancouver around Hawaii in September ('18) more for the boat ride and because we don't have to fly (live north of Seattle). We're in a Signature Suite (6090)....any perks? suggestions? Again, thank you all very much!

Second time on HAL (first in 1997!) so finding this HAL for Dummies is a godsend. Thank you all! We have previously....and for several years....cruised with Oceania.....so information about sodas, water, coffees; all uncharges is most helpful We are doing Seattle to Vancouver around Hawaii in September ('18) more for the boat ride and because we don't have to fly (live north of Seattle). We're in a Signature Suite (6090)....any perks? suggestions? Again, thank you all very much!

Water (non bottled), regular coffee (not specialty), tea, lemonade & juices (at breakfast) are all at no charge.

There are charges for soda, specialty coffees, bottled water, alcoholic drinks and mocktails.

Not a lot of perks with the Signature Suite other than space, pillows and telephone concierge basically. the HAL site probably lists a few more like binoculars, etc.

Signature Suites are very nice. Lots of space, double sinks, etc.

suemiks,Welcome back to HAL! I have done the September Hawaii trip twice, in 2017 on the Eurodam. Great ship, good size, crew is very attentive. The overnight in Honolulu allows a lot of time to really explore. I travel solo so haven't enjoyed suite life yet. If you like to learn check the Navigator for "Good Morning Eurodam" a talk 9 AM each sea day. The Cruise Director interviews staff and performers for 45-60 minutes. They also have coffee and pastries if you want. The promenade is a relaxing way to spend some time reading and people watching. Enjoy your cruise, the relaxing sea days, and HAL pampering.

hello everyone...first time cruiser here....does cabin staff make your bed up everyday?

how often would sheets be changed ?

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

There is also turn-down service each evening while you are at dinner. Two chocolates, a towel animal, and your Where and When brochure for the next day are provided.

A large plate of nachos from the Terrace Bar is a nice way spend time on your balcony.

Tip: If creating a large plate of nachos for hand-carry to your stateroom, spread some melted cheese on the plate before adding the chips. This will keep them from sliding off the plate while enroute to your stateroom (learned from experience the hard way).

• Haha 1

A large plate of nachos from the Terrace Bar is a nice way spend time on your balcony.

Tip: If creating a large plate of nachos for hand-carry to your stateroom, spread some melted cheese on the plate before adding the chips. This will keep them from sliding off the plate while enroute to your stateroom (learned from experience the hard way).

A brilliant, simple tip!

Thank You

dh