Sailing out of Bayonne

rnr4thatsme

Considering taking a cruise out of Bayonne instead of Florida as it's closer for our group. Are the sea conditions much different - ie. rougher? We are thinking of going in late December, January or February. Are there any other considerations to think about when leaving from Bayonne, besides that the first few days would be much cooler?

We have taken several cruises out of Cape Liberty as we can easily drive there. We last sailed over New Year's Eve and it snowed the entire four hours on the road. It was awful. Just be aware of the possibility of inclement weather.

That entire cruise happened to be the coldest we've ever taken - and we have sailed to Alaska four times!

It can get a little rough but nothing too horrible when we have sailed. I would recommend choosing another time of year.

Considering taking a cruise out of Bayonne instead of Florida as it's closer for our group. Are the sea conditions much different - ie. rougher? We are thinking of going in late December, January or February. Are there any other considerations to think about when leaving from Bayonne, besides that the first few days would be much cooler?

Took a cruise out of Bayonne in May 2016 and the seas were the roughest we have ever experienced for the first day and a half before we got closer to Florida and it was more of what we are used to smooth sailing. Decided although closer no need to cruise out of Bayonne again.

Sailed on Explorer in December and twice on Anthem both in January.

Other than the outdoor deck closed on the last sea day of one (maybe both) Anthem sailing conditions were good. First full sea day January 2016, temperature was in the 60s.

I've sailed out of Cape Liberty many times. We've gone in spring and fall usually to the same ports. The best I can tell you is the sea conditions are a crap-shoot. We've had some of the roughest seas and some that were like sailing on glass.

Just sailed in January on Anthem out of Bayonne. Smooth sailing all the way and people were using the outdoor pools and flowrider all the way to the end of the last sea day on the way back. Bottom line, it's hard to predict. The port itself is very convenient and not having to worry about cancelled flights in the winter is very welcome.

We have sailed out of Bayonne several times. Always in February and have never had any issues. Port is easy to get to and parking is good. As stated before the seas and weather are a crap shoot. But the ship with stands the seas well. Last year when we came back we were in shorts and swim suits until the afternoon before we were back to NJ! We have also left from Baltimore in the middle of a snow storm. You just never know. But we always have a great time!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We've cruised out of Bayonne at least 6 times. 4 times on Explorer, once on Anthem and once on Celebrity Summit. Spring, summer and fall. You just never know what the seas will be. Sailing out of the NE and mid-atlantic is different than out of FL. It's just a fact.

But, you never really know what the seas will be like out of FL either.

Edited by BND

Returned last Friday. Cold and a little rough going down until close to Florida. Not bad coming back. Have done this rout 2x before same time of year. Anything goes. The anthem has 2 indoor pool areas and lots of indoor space so you still have lots to do.

Imagine sailing through a nor’easter...done that, not fun for me, but worse for the seasick and cranky passengers. Conditions are often better, but poor weather conditions are a substantial risk.

Most people who sail from there do it because the port is super convenient to their homes. Just “closer” than Florida might not be enough to persuade me. There is a good reason most ships sail from Florida during those months.

In Dec, Jan, and Feb Anthem does either a 7-8 day Florida and Bahamas itinerary or a 12 day Southern Caribbean itinerary. Just did both itineraries. I recommend the 12 day. The 7-8 day itinerary can be very marginal since it just goes to Florida and the Bahamas. We had 1000+ kids on Jan 19-28 due to Yeshiva week. Christmas and the Feb vacation weeks will also have tons of kids.

My advice is to pick a winter cruise based on an itinerary itinerary you like rather than on the departure port.

As others have said, winter weather can be dicey for NYC area sailings. The fact that they sail down the east coast brings up the risk of nor'easters, which can be as nasty as hurricanes. The first and last sea day will likely be inside days.

We live near NYC, so we do take fall/winter cruises from there. They are 9 days or longer because we do not like the 7 day Bahamas/Florida itnierary. You need the extra days to get to and from the Caribbean ports. We would rather pay for the two extra sea days than airfare and avoid the hassle of flying.

If I had to fly to a departure port for a winter cruise, I would take a cruise from a southern departure port.

Yeshiva week? I didn’t even know about that one. That’s interesting ...).

Anyways after a few events this season on the seas during this winter, I would never consider an Atlantic Ocean Cruise in the winter. The Bahamas are in the Atlantic Ocean so it’s not even beach weather lots of time in winter month

Yeshiva week? I didn’t even know about that one. That’s interesting ...).

Anyways after a few events this season on the seas during this winter, I would never consider an Atlantic Ocean Cruise in the winter. The Bahamas are in the Atlantic Ocean so it’s not even beach weather lots of time in winter month

For 2019 the recommended intersession dates for New York are Jan 17-27. https://www.jewishedproject.org/our-work/day-schools-yeshivas/academic-calendars

We just disembarked from Anthem this morning, the 8-night cruise that left on Feb. 9. Had smooth seas the entire time. Which means nothing for any future cruise. No matter your departure port, once you are on the ocean, stuff can happen.

I will say, though, that we found Cape Liberty to be very easy for both embarking and disembarking. In fact, it was probably the easiest disembarkation we’ve ever experienced.

If you are flying, as opposed to driving to your cruise port....it makes no sense to fly to a cold weather port, for a warm weather cruise....unless you also want to visit nearby friends and family, or do some local touring. And even if that were true, it would be better to do a fall NE/Canada cruise, instead....

Not only do you have the possibility of encountering rough seas, and cold temperatures to and from, but also the worries about the airport being affected by weather....

If I had to fly to either, choosing a sailing from Florida would be a no-brainer. But if you live close to New York, it is a different story. We've sailed from Manhattan several times, and Bayonne once, to the Caribbean in January. By early afternoon of the first sea day you are in the Gulf Stream and probably quite comfortable. The last day coming back will be cold, but that is all.

Of course, on a Bahamas/Florida itinerary from New York, you will be closer to the coast and not hit warmer waters as early.

Aside from the substantial savings on air fare and Florida hotel, and avoiding travel hassle, the experience of sailing out of New York harbor is a real plus.

Sea conditions are going to be whatever they are going to be: utterly unpredictable.