Oh no, I’m sick & can’t make the shore excursion!

TessieTravels

I am looking for some guidance as I have only organized one shore excursion & am likely to organize one or two on our upcoming cruise. How do you seasoned CC shore excursions organizers prepare for when an excursion is RSVP & pay the day of. You have booked the coach & driver at a set price & based on the number of CC members confirmed everyone knows it will be “X” per person (the fuller the coach, the lower to per person price”. Unfortunately, one or two CC members get quarantined to their room & can’t make the tour. What do you do?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If everyone knows that that's the case they realize that they may pay more. If you know someone can't make it spread the word on the ship to people you meet. You may find someone to take their place. Last year I organized 4 cans of 20 people each for a tour in Costa Rica. Thank goodness they sent an extra van because word spread and we ended up with almost 100.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If it were only so simple. We have mixed emotions about private tours...and virtually no emotions or liking of cruise line excursions. In fact, we only take a cruise line excursion if it is about the only reasonable option to do what we want to do. This happens very seldom..but it does happen in places like Murmansk.

We think the discussion (and some debate) between private tours and DIY are fascinating. But over a lot of years (and having helped many others with their travel ideas) we have grown to accept that this is not a one size fits all kind of thing. Many folks are just not capable of going off on their own and having a great day. For example, we don;t hesitate to rent a car while in port if that is what works best for our plans. But a majority of cruisers are reluctant to take this kind of step...and we really do understand their concerns. For us, it is just one more travel adventure which we have thought-out...and found a good option. But for many others it becomes things like, "what if we have a flat tire," what if our car breaks down," "what if we get caught in traffic and miss the ship" etc etc. These are all valid questions but we accept the small risk because we love the reward of being able to do what we want, when we want, with whom we want. For those that can't deal with that risk we suggest private excursions. And for those who can't deal with the risk of a private tour, we cover our eyes, ears, and mouth and say...perhaps you should take an overpriced overcrowded cruise ship excursion :).

Some here on CC make all this personal. But each person should do what feels right for them. When cruisers want help planning DIY days, there are quite a few of us here on CC who are happy to spend the time giving them some detailed ideas. We have an upcoming complex Asian cruise and have joined two small group private tours which seemed to be the best option in those places. We think this is only the 2nd cruise out of about our last 50 where we have ever planned two tours (the cruise is over 30 days long). But there are just some times when DIY is not a great option.

Hank

Hank, you’re right about if it were only so simple. I must admit, I can be my own worst enemy by making it more complex than it needs to be. Your comment about renting a car scares the wind out of me, but it’s because we’ve never tried it. I believe that may be an option we will explore as well, at least to take the fear out of the equation. We are fairly new to cruising/out of US vacationing, so I’m sure our confidence & honing in of preferences will develop with the more experiences we have.

Like some others who've already posted, I rarely arrange private tours -- mainly because whenever possible I prefer to "do it myself" via public transportation...I am a detail-oriented person like you seem to be, and when I do put together a private tour, I always include wording to the effect that if you sign up for the tour, you are in effect agreeing to pay for your share, even if you cannot go for some reason. (Unless I am able to find a replacement.)

Cruisemom42, there have been so many great comments to my question & the discussion has brought up thoughts to consider for our specific style of vacationing (which we are still trying to figure out). I definitely will start using the disclaimer you propose and I do believe most CC would not hesitate to agree. Thank you for your wording, I was working on something last night, but it was so wordy. I hope you don’t mind my stealing your sentence

We did a private tour organized by someone on the roll call. The organizer's husband had to bow out because of illness. One person did not show up at all. We tried to find others to fill the open slots. In the end, the organizer paid for her husband and the missing person. We did pitch in to help with the extra cost. Never did see the person who just didn't show up!

Hancock, I’m grateful that we got the call from our MIA member vs a no show, as the CC community is such a valuable resource & tool that I would not want to be the one to leave a bad impression. But, then again maybe I have & just don’t realize it [emoji15]

We do some DIY but also a number of private tours and I have organized my fair share.;)

As to organizing, call me fussy, but no one gets on unless they email me. This lets me know their last name and/or cabin number so I can reach them on board and also lets me be able to email the group with all arrangements. It also helps you to get to "know" the people you will be touring with.

I make it clear from the outset that this is a committment (nicely ;)).

When I send out the "final arrangements" I make it clear that everyone is committed as cruisemom does and that their share must be paid even if they can't go.

I also have a waitlist for those interested. If someone tells me they can't go, I'll reach out to the wait list and if they can go, I'll refund the monies paid (if it was already paid) and the orginal person who signed up is off the hook.

If I can't fill their spot, then they are out the money.

I've probably done 50+ private tours and have never been disappointed by roll call members. I have had some that were sick, toured out, etc. They always paid and miraculously, I was able to fill their spots with the wait list. You should have seen the look on their face when I knocked on their cabin door to refund their payment :D

As to payment - IF I had to prepay, then I want the $ when we board.

If it is pay the day of the cruise, then either everyone pays the driver/guide or I collect the day of the tour and pay for everyone.

It depends on the arrangements that the guide wants and, in some cases, how well you know the roll call members ;)

I also post a "private tour protocol" on the roll call when we are close to the cruise. With some general guidelines and committment reminder.

The key is to let your touring companions know any conditions, details, etc. Most that do private tours are seasoned travellers and very fair IMO.

So far so good. :)

The folks who can't make the tour should pay their share and fall back their cruise insurance to reimburse them. If they don't have cruise insurance then they should pay their share and consider it a lesson learned, UNLESS the rest of you agree to share the increased cost of having fewer people.

I agree they made a commitment and are responsible to pay their share.

We do some DIY but also a number of private tours and I have organized my fair share.;)...Most that do private tours are seasoned travellers and very fair IMO. So far so good. :)

kazu, I really appreciate you putting down your process, that is very helpful! I winged it on my first try, figuring “how hard can it be”? I give you & everyone who organizes shore tours a great big thank you, I learned that it definitely has its stressors. I learned A LOT about the importance of communication, as I admit I made some mistakes, but everyone was so helpful and supportive and it was a positive experience. I’m glad we did the tour as a group vs on our own, because as new cruiser, I learned a lot about a variety of cruising topics. I can also understand why people prefer to go it on their own or with a much more limited number.

kazu, I really appreciate you putting down your process, that is very helpful! I winged it on my first try, figuring “how hard can it be”? I give you & everyone who organizes shore tours a great big thank you, I learned that it definitely has its stressors. I learned A LOT about the importance of communication, as I admit I made some mistakes, but everyone was so helpful and supportive and it was a positive experience. I’m glad we did the tour as a group vs on our own, because as new cruiser, I learned a lot about a variety of cruising topics. I can also understand why people prefer to go it on their own or with a much more limited number.

Thanks Tessie.

Organizing has it's own stressors, there is no question about it. But, I am fussy on my tours and like top quality ones so it's worth the time and effort for me.

No question smaller groups are nicer - more flexibility, ability to see so much more, etc.

Good for you for doing yours. Once you do the first one, the next one is easier ;)

I am looking for some guidance as I have only organized one shore excursion & am likely to organize one or two on our upcoming cruise. How do you seasoned CC shore excursions organizers prepare for when an excursion is RSVP & pay the day of. You have booked the coach & driver at a set price & based on the number of CC members confirmed everyone knows it will be “X” per person (the fuller the coach, the lower to per person price”. Unfortunately, one or two CC members get quarantined to their room & can’t make the tour. What do you do?

CYA.. Your problem is self described in your 2nd sentence. Pay the day of puts the loss of participants on you. Have everyone pre pay or don't go..

Had this happen to us on a day in Santorini. I was not the organizer but he collected 2 parts from the lady whose husband was ill. Had we been on a prepaid tour he would have been out the money as well. I recently put together bus transport for 42 in Mexico for which I collected in advance . It was RT airport to hotel. 2 couples were unable to complete the holiday but we still had to pay the full bus charge. I did not refund half of their amount and others on trip agreed we should not.

Even if the provider only wants to be paid at the time of the excursion, the organizer should consider requiring some advance down payment - as an indication of serious intent. A last minute no-show, whose indication of interest may have excluded others from joining, should be willing to accept some loss if his/her place cannot be filled.

After two experiences with last minute no-shows, I stopped volunteering to organize excursions for people who were unwilling to put something on the table up front.

I’ve organized several private tours and I have learned a lot. One of the most important was to collect money before the tour. Luckily someone told me to do that before I had a problem. It helps with no shows but also helps because you aren’t collecting and counting money day of the tour so it is less stressful.

I tell people if they need to cancel they are responsible for finding a replacement. I try to make sure cost, pickup time, dropoff time, description of the tour including walking distances, stairs, etc is clear to everyone. And, I tell them if they are 10 minutes late they will be left behind with no refund. I also give a written reminder a couple of days before the tour to everyone.

When we are on a land tour (not a guided one) I hire tour guides for just the two of us. So, I am doing more of that on our upcoming HAL South America Circumnavigation cruise and doing group tours only if I cannot find someone to do a tour for just the two of us or if it is cost prohibitive. Luckily, for the 2 group tours I’ve organized so far, the tour guide was willing to have everyone contact and pay him.

Sent from my iPad using Forums