A quick note on elevator bullies

perditax

Don’t you just love lawyers

Hey hey hey, he's an internet denizen playing internet lawyer. I assume my post was reported (like by DarkJedi) for some reason and removed. Curious as to why my post was removed, but if the Mod wants to contact me, I can show links verifying I'm a lawyer.

Post was short because I really didn't want to get into the weeds as it's complicated. Just want to point out that there's a difference between being charged and convicted. Same as suing someone and actually winning. Depending on how the jurisdiction is, police charge (or DA rubber stamps it) vs actually proving it and getting a conviction. Same as anyone can sue by filing some paperwork. Big difference between that and actually winning. Even getting past summary judgment doesn't mean much.

Then, you've got the difference between a cruise ship generally being in international waters and then what applicable laws apply. That and who is the defendant.

Then you get into the practical issues, like are the police really going to bother coming on board and arresting someone for not moving out of the way in an elevator. They might technically fit under a statute, but everyone knows that's a stupid case and as it's extra work, are police really going to come out for that? Let alone knowing the DA is going to not file charges anyways.

tldr: DJ give us actual lawyers a bad name

Edited by codex57

Woman steps into a both ATM in Tampa FL to withdraw money. Man steps in and stands in the doorway. Woman is done and asks the man to step aside, man smiles but says nothing nor moves. Woman draws a firearm from her purse and calls 911. Man is arrested. Charge - false imprisonment.

Man is in a men's restroom at a bar in Plant City, another man comes in and begins verbally accosting him. First man attempts to leave and second man physically blocks the door. First man strikes second man, fight continues. Police arrive. Second man arrested. Charge - false imprisonment.

Husband and wife are separated, man comes to pick up his daughter (legally) and begins arguing with wife in Tampa. 3rd floor apartment, one exit. Husband attempts to leave with daughter. Wife blocks door and states you are not leaving until we are done. Husband calls 911. Wife arrested. Charge - false imprisonment.

If you still think it is far fetched I can tell you some REALLY far fetched arrests. Like the store clerk who discovered the store safe was broken so he took the drawer money home at night, and then got arrested in the morning when he came to work, with the money.

Oh, and just to be clear, pushing someone is battery, a criminal act. So if you are pushing your way out of the elevator you are already committing battery.

784.03 Battery; felony battery.—(1)(a) The offense of battery occurs when a person:1. Actually and intentionally touches or strikes another person against the will of the other; or

Thank you, Perry Mason!

I've honestly never witnessed this. Maybe if more people took the stairs it would alleviate this 'problem'. We always take the stairs down and if it's 4 flights or less up, we take the stairs.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by NCLfamily

Hey hey hey, he's an internet denizen playing internet lawyer. I assume my post was reported (like by DarkJedi) for some reason and removed. Curious as to why my post was removed, but if the Mod wants to contact me, I can show links verifying I'm a lawyer.

First, didn't report your post, don't know who did, or even which post.

Second, I was replying to the sneezing will get you arrested comment by Maniacal. NOT to charging someone for not moving out of the way.

I fully agree that it is unlikely that anyone would ever be charged for not moving out of the way on an elevator. However, all of those cases were taken to trial and the defendants found guilty. Including the poor clerk who got a year and a day probation.

BTW, not a lawyer, but if they are dealing with me professionally, they probably have one.

I've honestly never witnessed this. Maybe if more people took the stairs it would alleviate this 'problem'. We always take the stairs down and if it's 4 flights or less up, we take the stairs.

Same here, although age and DW's knees are making those trips up harder and harder.

I ran into a new type of "elevator bully" on the Epic a couple of weeks ago. My husband and I got on the elevator that 4 or 5 people already "owned", it certainly wasn't full. They stepped back to let us in and then one lady says "it is always the first ones on who get pushed to the back" quite snarky like. So I said "oh don't worry we will move to let you out". So the first floor came and a different couple got out and of course we stepped out so they could exit. Before stepping back in I asked Mrs. Snarky if she would like to change positions so that she could be at the front. She didn't even look at me just said "oh no we are getting out at the next stop" - like that makes sense, maybe if you are up next you would move to the front when you had the opportunity! Anyway I thought that lady was more rude then those who jump on before you have a chance to get off - I think that is more of a reaction to waiting so long and suddenly the door opens, not intentional rudeness. I guess Mrs. Snarky thinks elevators aren't meant to be shared.

We used to, but a wheelchair makes that hard.

traveling with someone that has "special needs", the bullies that annoy me are the ones that love to rush in to the elevator first as the doors opening, ignoring people with canes, walkers and other things. even thru were standing next to the elevator that was about to open and were waiting even longer then those people.

Ah,yes, but these same idiots don't realize that by rudely rushing in before the mobility-challenged, they (the rude idiots) end up in the BACK of the elevator, and have to climb over / around the mobility devices to get out!! Life has a way of making sense on it's own sometimes.

Wouldn’t bullying include doing it on purpose. I am sure I violated whatever the etiquette is dozens of times like everyone else. Being busy talking reading the freestyle daily or using the phone, being overly tired and not paying attention, being drunk, ...

And no I don’t feel bad about it.

Ah,yes, but these same idiots don't realize that by rudely rushing in before the mobility-challenged, they (the rude idiots) end up in the BACK of the elevator, and have to climb over / around the mobility devices to get out!! Life has a way of making sense on it's own sometimes.

Or let the mobility vehicles on first into the back of the elevator and risk getting your feet run over when they need to get off after one floor. :evilsmile:

Wouldn’t bullying include doing it on purpose. I am sure I violated whatever the etiquette is dozens of times like everyone else. Being busy talking reading the freestyle daily or using the phone, being overly tired and not paying attention, being drunk, ...

Yes, bullying is when it's done on purpose. Being a ditz or drunk is being careless but does not fall under the definition of bullying.

The people who will shove their large group into an overcrowded elevator, so that everyone is pressed up against each other, are the same people who will absolutely refuse to step off the elevator at the next floor to let the people in the back get off.

Twice this week on Escape, I've had to shove past someone who refused to let me off an elevator (both times women, for what it's worth). One of them was saying "just get off, just get off", while blocking the doorway. Maybe they think they're smaller than they are? Maybe they think I'm smaller than I am? I have no idea. Both times I've had to physically push past and through them. Frankly, my days of being in a mosh pit are well behind me, but if you're going to block an exit, I'm going to move you.

(Also, it's flu season, and if you think it's a good idea to force people into direct physical contact with an elevator full of strangers, you're a damned moron.)

If you're a person who won't move to let the people in the back of the elevator get off, will you please explain your reasoning so me?

I would never stand for this... I'm the person who will educate all the rude people [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You sound pleasant...it’s pretty easy to be courteous.

I have no experience with this topic. As a 6’4” 260 lb man, I can get off an elevator as I wish. If after announcing a couple times that I need off at this floor, someone doesn’t understand, I simply leave the elevator making sure not to care about any personal space for the person that rudely blocked my exit.

And if I am at the door of a full elevator where someone wants to force themselves on, I am very nice while being an immovable object that fills most of the door opening. On the other hand, If they ask or are obviously in need on the ride more than I am, I will gladly exit ensuring they get on.

Basically, as said on MASH, it is nice to be nice to the nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Woman steps into a both ATM in Tampa FL to withdraw money. Man steps in and stands in the doorway. Woman is done and asks the man to step aside, man smiles but says nothing nor moves. Woman draws a firearm from her purse and calls 911. Man is arrested. Charge - false imprisonment.

Man is in a men's restroom at a bar in Plant City, another man comes in and begins verbally accosting him. First man attempts to leave and second man physically blocks the door. First man strikes second man, fight continues. Police arrive. Second man arrested. Charge - false imprisonment.

Husband and wife are separated, man comes to pick up his daughter (legally) and begins arguing with wife in Tampa. 3rd floor apartment, one exit. Husband attempts to leave with daughter. Wife blocks door and states you are not leaving until we are done. Husband calls 911. Wife arrested. Charge - false imprisonment.

If you still think it is far fetched I can tell you some REALLY far fetched arrests. Like the store clerk who discovered the store safe was broken so he took the drawer money home at night, and then got arrested in the morning when he came to work, with the money.

Oh, and just to be clear, pushing someone is battery, a criminal act. So if you are pushing your way out of the elevator you are already committing battery.

784.03 Battery; felony battery.—(1)(a) The offense of battery occurs when a person:1. Actually and intentionally touches or strikes another person against the will of the other; or

Well, if youre in my way and wont move, than you might want to pick up the phone in the elevator and call 911, cuz you are getting shoved aside. LOL

I find more folks are rude getting on to elevators by not letting those who arrived earlier or those with special needs to get on first. A year ago I held my hand up and stopped 5-6 people trying to squeeze in ahead of the couple with canes. I gave them a good stare down and waved the elderly couple to go first. Then I got on. Ya know what the rest of the group stood still and would not get in.

BTW when getting off elevators after 10 pm try turning around and wishing everyone good night and sweet dreams. Puts smiles on peoples face and takes them by surprise too.

It never ceases to amaze me how some people spend good money on a cruise and then choose to ruin their own vacation over such petty nonsense. So much passive aggressive hostility, folks need to just chill out and enjoy the fact that they are on a cruise.

I agree !!!