Bright Star announcement on Seabourn ship as it left Antarctica

A bright star announcement, signifying a serious medical emergency, was made on Seabourn Quest as it left Antarctica.

Sad news for those who have cruised on Seabourn of the death of Captain Bjarne Larsen. Moving tribute was made to a much loved captain as his body was removed by tender at Stanley, Falkland Islands.

Seabourn Cruise Line

"Antarctica Live on Board" thread

Condolences to Captain Larsen's family, the crew on the ship and the Seabourn family. May they be comforted by the knowledge that he was doing what he loved.

My wife and I were on that cruise. The only good thing to report about his death is that he had just broken the record of a cruise ship going south (66 degrees 54 minutes latitude) and he died in his sleep.

My wife and I were on that cruise. The only good thing to report about his death is that he had just broken the record of a cruise ship going south (66 degrees 54 minutes latitude) and he died in his sleep.

Thank you for sharing. He must have been happy breaking that cruise ship record.

Captain Larsen was the most personable and visible cruise ship captain that I have ever encountered. He regularly mingled with the guests and really knew his stuff when it came to weather and sea conditions in Antarctica. When my wife was looking for a place to run indoors (she was training for a marathon), he showed her a route through the crew's quarters that allowed her a longer circle. He told her if anyone questions you, tell them the captain gave you permission.

We are shocked and grieved by his passing. The cruise industry has lost a great man!!

Edited by chaboudydow
Forgot to sign it. Cecilia and Rick Dow