Rise in Gratuities

Josy1953

We have now recieved an email from P&O regarding the upcoming increase,we will be mid cruise when it happens & they confirm that it only applies to those setting sail on or after the date it starts,dodged that bullet!

I find it rather interesting with all the theories about the crew & how they may or may not be treated that we don't seem to be seeing any stories in the media these days about how badly they are treated,there seemed loads of such programmes not so long ago,both from supposedly genuine crew & people planted on board cruise ships.

Not clear to me what you asked them.

I said that this had happened after my booking, ignored that bit, I asked them if this affected staff, ignored that bit, I asked them if I could reduce the amount, only bit answered and said "yes". So I shall to the amount when I booked, as far as I am concerned it is factored into cruise cost and not willing to pay more after the fact.

We have now recieved an email from P&O regarding the upcoming increase,we will be mid cruise when it happens & they confirm that it only applies to those setting sail on or after the date it starts,dodged that bullet!

I find it rather interesting with all the theories about the crew & how they may or may not be treated that we don't seem to be seeing any stories in the media these days about how badly they are treated,there seemed loads of such programmes not so long ago,both from supposedly genuine crew & people planted on board cruise ships.

I believe things should have improved. The Maritime Labour Convention 2006 from the International Labour Organisation has been adopted by cruise lines. I believe all flag states of major cruise lines mandate it as part of registration.

It covers working hours, contracted minimum salary, paid overtime, health care, employment fees and much more. We have seen the results as some lines no longer offer waiter service lunch or twice daily cabin service. As much as I miss these aspects of my cruise, I hope the crew are having a better working life.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums