Cheap things to do on port days with group of 10?

homa0605

Hey everyone, I'm sure that this topic has been covered but it is difficult to sift through so many posts to find what I'm looking for. We will be on the Freedom of the Seas on March 3rd and will be traveling with my husband, six children ages 8 mos to 13 years, and my two parents who are almost 70. Looking at things to do on port days and even cheap things add up when you're paying for 10 people. Any recommendations for cheap things to do that will allow us to see the ports? Any beach recommendations for kids (I've heard some of the beaches are not kid friendly)? We will be in St. Kitts, Saint Maarten, San Juan, and Labadee, Haiti. Any tips or advice from those who have done these ports is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Hey everyone, I'm sure that this topic has been covered but it is difficult to sift through so many posts to find what I'm looking for. We will be on the Freedom of the Seas on March 3rd and will be traveling with my husband, six children ages 8 mos to 13 years, and my two parents who are almost 70. Looking at things to do on port days and even cheap things add up when you're paying for 10 people. Any recommendations for cheap things to do that will allow us to see the ports? Any beach recommendations for kids (I've heard some of the beaches are not kid friendly)? We will be in St. Kitts, Saint Maarten, San Juan, and Labadee, Haiti. Any tips or advice from those who have done these ports is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Maho Beach in St. Maarten can be relatively inexpensive. You can take a bus there for $1.25 per person, each way. Labadee can be totally free, including a BBQ lunch.

You don't need to spend any money at Labadee. At St Kitts, there are minibus tours of the island, plus you can have a wander around the port area. The minibus tours can drop you off at a beach and pick you up later.

My cheap option for port stops is to have a quick wander around the shops in port area, buy a few souvenirs and then go back onto the ship.

The forts in San Juan are either $7 or $7.50 pp. You can do both forts for the one admission if you save the receipt for the first one and show it at the second fort.

If one person has a senior (62 and up). national parks pass they and up to three others are free---pass is cheap and good for life---this includes the san juan forts

In st martin there is a beach within a short walk from the pier---beaches are free if you plunk down towels and do not rent chairs---many shops and restaurants nearby.

St Kitts is more problematic---I'd make this my splurge port--a tour for 10 would be about 450 from Thenford Grey-----this would include batik factory, brimstone fortress, general island tour and a beach break if desired---any admissions included in tour cost

hope this helps

Paul

Labadee is the ship's "beach day"...loungers, sun, water, shade and lunch are part of your day there.

A guidebook for your other ports will be VERY helpful....and you may find you all want to do something a bit different...and that's ok! Libraries have guidebooks in the "reference" section....check one out!

The forts in San Juan are either $7 or $7.50 pp. You can do both forts for the one admission if you save the receipt for the first one and show it at the second fort.

Just El Morro Fort in San Juan is $5.00 with children under 16 free. https://www.nps.gov/saju/planyourvisit/fees.htm

There is also a free Trolley, but it could be problematic to get on with 10 people. http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/free-trolley-old-san-juan/

Your best chance is to walk to Stop 13, which is the stop before the pier. The open air white trolleys go right to the entrance of El Morro. I was in San Juan several weeks ago and did this, but stayed on until Stop 8 to go to the San Juan Cathedral area to see the City Gate and wander back down to the port. I was on a regular Trolley that did not go to the El Morro entrance.

San Juan is hilly and I always take the Trolley up and walk back down. It can also be very hot - particularly the walk from El Morro across the open field to the shade of the streets if there's no room for 10 on the Trolley. Fort San Chistobal could be an alternative.

Maho Beach in St. Maarten can be relatively inexpensive. You can take a bus there for $1.25 per person, each way. Labadee can be totally free, including a BBQ lunch.

Good to know! How far from the cruise port are the buses? Thanks for the tips!

Apart from a beach trip or walking around the port seeing the sights close to the ship, there isn't much you can do on the cheap.

How about leave the kids onboard in the kids club and go ashore with your husband instead?

I think the kids are more excited about the ports than I am so I couldn’t do that unfortunately. Thanks for your reply!

If one person has a senior (62 and up). national parks pass they and up to three others are free---pass is cheap and good for life---this includes the san juan forts

In st martin there is a beach within a short walk from the pier---beaches are free if you plunk down towels and do not rent chairs---many shops and restaurants nearby.

St Kitts is more problematic---I'd make this my splurge port--a tour for 10 would be about 450 from Thenford Grey-----this would include batik factory, brimstone fortress, general island tour and a beach break if desired---any admissions included in tour cost

hope this helps

Paul

Thanks for the knowledgeable reply! Appreciate it!

Good to know! How far from the cruise port are the buses? Thanks for the tips!

The buses are quite a ways if you walk. Probably a little more than a mile. You can cut down that walk by taking the water taxi downtown, but that will be an additional $7pp round trip. Go to the first street behind the courthouse to pick up the bus. The bus looks like a VW bus, with a hand written sign that says "Maho" in the window.