Cuba, can you wonder on your own? RCL says you have to buy their excursions

Just got off RCL Diamond Plus desk and the rep Frank told me that the only way I could get off the ship is if we book the rcl excursion. But I have read everywhere that they have done walking and excursions on their own, recently. :confused: :confused: Can someone help me on this. RCL excursions is a good option but they are also very pricey.

Two reps said this.

Just got off RCL Diamond Plus desk and the rep Frank told me that the only way I could get off the ship is if we book the rcl excursion. But I have read everywhere that they have done walking and excursions on their own, recently. :confused: :confused: Can someone help me on this. RCL excursions is a good option but they are also very pricey.

Two reps said this.

My understanding is you must do something during your visit to Cuba which meets the legal requirements the US government has set down if you are a US citizen. Royal has a lot of US citizens going on their Cuban cruises and probably tailored the experience to that.

The last I read they have not yet opened up tourism as being allowed. I am no expert on these things, but from what I read educational including culturally educational tours are allowed and reporters are allowed. All those I've known who wandered on their own signed a waiver with the cruise line stating they were going ashore as reporters which apparently some cruise lines have been allowing. All of those had travel blogs and were in Cuba gathering information and pictures for blog posts on Cuba.

Other than that, you must book a tour and if I understood correctly it had to better be with a tour group recognized in the US as providing some sort of educational value. Usually just a cultural education tour. At least as of last summer the list of recognized tour groups offering this service was rather short. It is permitted to do some tourist things before returning to the ship or so many had claimed. I don't know if this is legally true so do your own due diligence on that.

Someone above said things have changed but I don't know if they meant Royal is now allowing folks to make sure they fit the legal criteria themselves with outside tours and wandering, or if it meant regular tourism is now allowed.

When you get off the ship no one checks what you are doing, Cuban customs does not ask if you are part of a ship excursion. I would suggest keeping documentation of whatever it is you decide to do in Cuba and that it meets US requirements, but remember, these are US requirements, not the cruise line and not Cuba's.

Just got off Empress to Cuba about one month ago. We did take a ship's excursion for 4 hours, but we were left off at a market area and could have asked for a tour from any of the drivers we saw. No one checked to see what you were doing, it was much more open than we had been led to believe. The ship gave us instructions on how to fill out the required paperwork, but no one was checking on anything.

There were lots of old cars outside the ships terminal so I guess you could pick up a tour there.....the old cars were fabulous!

It is my understanding from attending a seminar from another cruise line, that also offers cruises to Cuba, that you absolutely have to get off the ship. It is not a port where you can just stay on board and enjoy the pool. If you claim you are ill, you may have to undergo an examination by a Cuban doctor. That can be risky because he can demand you be sent to a local hospital.

We have decided Cuba is off our list. My DH has idiopathic AFib and it can happen for absolutely no reason. When it strikes, he has to take his medication and lie down until he is back in sinus rhythm. If he doesn't convert within 3 hours he has to go to a medical facility. It has happened on several port days and it would be just our luck to happen in Cuba.

It is my understanding from attending a seminar from another cruise line, that also offers cruises to Cuba, that you absolutely have to get off the ship. It is not a port where you can just stay on board and enjoy the pool. If you claim you are ill, you may have to undergo an examination by a Cuban doctor. That can be risky because he can demand you be sent to a local hospital.

We have decided Cuba is off our list. My DH has idiopathic AFib and it can happen for absolutely no reason. When it strikes, he has to take his medication and lie down until he is back in sinus rhythm. If he doesn't convert within 3 hours he has to go to a medical facility. It has happened on several port days and it would be just our luck to happen in Cuba.

Condition aside no you don’t absolutely have to get off the ship. People come and go as they please. The same port day services you’d have on any ship are running. I think you got some misinformation

We did the Cuban cruise. Yes you can book a classic car excursion through RCCL, about $200. Or get off the ship walk across the street & find a classic car you like. They were asking $50. We took the Hop On Hop Off buss all around Havana. Walked all around the town. Took a classic car to the beach. Not one excursion through RCCL. Just another case of the person not knowing what they are talking about.

The cruiselines are using scare tactics to get Americans to take THEIR excursions (who would have thought)? Take a private tour, it will be cheaper, and no one will put you in Cube "timeout" or anything like that.

It's not a scare tactic. RCCL is taking Americans to a restricted area. There are certain laws in place, and as the company that is transporting you, they must tell you exactly what they are required to tell you. As an American you are required only to take tours.

Secondly, once you leave the USA and enter Cuba, what happens stays in Cuba. The staff on the ships are not federal agents, or the police. They tell you what you are allowed to do, per the laws of the USA. In Cuba, you follow Cuban laws. They welcome you, and do not care what you do, within the laws of course. So what you do when you arrive is up to you. Just don't openly talk about it, in case big brother is listening. :cool:

I have an email from my travel agent that we now must book rc excursions to get off the ship. She also said Norwegian is still allowing guests to book outside their excursions. I have insurance and booked outside excursions through AirBnb. This trip was about the destination and the older ship was s way to get there. Anyone have any luck getting a rebook?

When you get off the ship no one checks what you are doing, Cuban customs does not ask if you are part of a ship excursion..... these are US requirements, not the cruise line and not Cuba's.

This. The restrictions for Americans have never been Cuba's doing; it's all been the American government. Cuba welcomes Americans who are able to get there!

We did the Cuban cruise. Yes you can book a classic car excursion through RCCL, about $200. Or get off the ship walk across the street & find a classic car you like. They were asking $50.

As someone posted above, I believe the rules has just been changed. I don't recall the effective date but apparently folks will only be allowed off the ship if they have booked a tour with Royal.

The paperwork for Cuba is available on the Royal Caribbean site. We are going in October on Majesty out of Tampa. If you would like to see the documents required when boarding the ship, go to any of the sailings to Cuba and there is a large banner there that will take you areas to print out the required forms as well as a section of commonly asked questions.

The first area needs to be printed out (2 copies are necessary) one is for the cruise line the other is yours to maintain. OFAC (Office of Foreign Assets Control, US Dept of Treasury) requires you to maintain the document for 5 years. Do most persons do this, I have no idea.

There are 4 sections on the form and you check the one that applies to your travel.

By the way (CACR) Cuban Assets Control Regulations, 31 C.F.R. Part 515 is administered by OFAC. The guest Certification must be complete before boarding the vessel. If you are on a Royal Cruise ship to Cuba, I highly suggest you print out the form and do have it with you in order to board.

There is a $75.00 p/person visa required if you are going to get off the ship at Cuba, this is handled on the ship.

You do NOT have to get off the ship if you do not want to.

You MAY use approved 3rd party tour companies.

After retiring from law enforcement I took a position in banking and was the Risk Management Officer as well as the BSA Officer (Bank Secrecy Act). I dealt with the Patriot Act, BSA and OFAC.

I hope this helps and no we have not been to Cuba but since I dealt with some of these restrictions, I just thought I would jump in here. I hope this helps.

JB

Hate to tell yo, but your seminar was dead wrong.. You absolutely can stay on the ship..

You MAY use approved 3rd party tour companies.

It would appear that the issue is "approved" tour companies.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cuba/faq/

In the above FAQ link, question 10 asks if one has to purchase a tour from RC to go ashore. The listed answer is "...by purchasing a tour with Royal Caribbean or a third-party program offered by a U.S. sponsoring organization."

That would seem to indicate that one cannot simply walk off the ship and do as they please, wandering around on their own. And I doubt that "Pepe's Independent Bicycle Tour of Havana" (or whatever) is approved as part of a U.S. sponsoring organization.

Further, based on the next question on the list, it would appear that the above applies only to cruises booked after 6/6/17, i.e. walking around on your own used to be allowed, but that rule has changed. If booked prior to that date, the answer is listed as "If you booked before June 16, 2017, you are exempt from the new regulations for your booked sailing and may choose to select Self-Guided Program, which is box #3 of the Travel Certification."

We love RCI, but have decided that when we go back to Cuba, we will fly. Cruising there is really a great way to get a feel for what Cuba and Havana are all about. And if you feel uncomfortable at all- you can get over that.

We did that last July on the Empress.

Then we flew back over Labor Day weekend, which was awesome, and considerably less expensive.

I really don't understand why RCI are giving flack to people who are legally choosing "Support Cuban People" who are going on their own tours via self owned businesses, and then going to independent restaurants and shows later in the day- all of which are explained as ok under the Treasury FAQ.

We canceled a pair of Majesty cruises to Havana this September, as the cost and confusion are both way to high. So much simpler to just fly there and stay in an AirBnB (which is also legal under Support Cuban People).

I considered a cruise to Cuba. I then read here on CC about a State Dept Travel Advisory.... I tend to think this is precautionary. If there was serious concern, the ships would not go there. But, it is still better to be informed.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/cuba-travel-advisory.html

I really don't understand why RCI are giving flack to people who are legally choosing "Support Cuban People" who are going on their own tours via self owned businesses, and then going to independent restaurants and shows later in the day- all of which are explained as ok under the Treasury FAQ.

It's called CYA. (cover your a**). Imagine the flack they'd get if there happened to be an incident of some kind while someone was out on their own, and the PR reports all talked about the "state department warning" and how Royal chose to "ignore" it and let people do whatever. Frankly, I believe in personal responsibility so I think it's overkill, but I'm not a multi-gazillion dollar corporation trying to avoid a lawsuit and/or bad PR.

It's called CYA. (cover your a**). Imagine the flack they'd get if there happened to be an incident of some kind while someone was out on their own, and the PR reports all talked about the "state department warning" and how Royal chose to "ignore" it and let people do whatever. Frankly, I believe in personal responsibility so I think it's overkill, but I'm not a multi-gazillion dollar corporation trying to avoid a lawsuit and/or bad PR.

Just FYI Cuba is very safe. Canadians and Europeans have been travelling there for years. The warnings you hear about are just from the US government not wanting US people to travel there due to political reasons. It has nothing to do with safety. You are probably safer in Cuba then most other islands.

My coworker just got back from a week long vacation to Cuba. He had zero issues travelling around on his own and never felt concerned about safety. You are probably safer there then in the states.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Please do not be too scared to go to Cuba. We went last year with RCCL and had a wonderful trip. Everyone we encountered was friendly . We did take a full day RCCL excursion, and felt it was worth the money. (We generally take private vendor excursions or jump in a taxi.) Several on the ship took taxi tours. I am not sure of the current rules. You do NOT have to get of the ship. There were health professionals at the pier observing those getting off, but I don't know what they are looking for. RCCL did a great job in passenger education regarding money and a few local restrictions or customs. If such a session is offered on board, please attend.

enjoy

M

We were glad we took the trip before travel became more restricted or Havana became more commercial

Just FYI Cuba is very safe. Canadians and Europeans have been travelling there for years. The warnings you hear about are just from the US government not wanting US people to travel there due to political reasons. It has nothing to do with safety. You are probably safer in Cuba then most other islands.

You misunderstood my post. I am very much aware that the restrictions are the US government's doing and not Cuba's, that Cuba is safe, and that it has been open for years to citizens of other countries. My point was that right or wrong, the state department warning could be perceived as a danger warning. Then, IF. something were to happen, Royal could be made to look like they had ignored the "danger warning" and oh, can you imagine the potential backlash via a lawsuit, or bad PR from ratings-hungry media?! So instead they choose to CYA.