Has anyone booked different cruises/ships/lines sort of back to back?

luvabargain

We did this a few years back a 7 day on Princess and then a 7 day on Celebrity....it was a good way to compare both lines, we stay at hotel one night in between... worked out well. The verdict was we liked Princess better.

Like others who have replied, we have done this twice now and are about to book another similar trip this afternoon! (assuming the figures work out :D)

First time was a southern ta with Celebrity, a couple of nights in Miami then Amtrak (quite an experience) to New York, a couple of nights stay and then back to the UK on the Queen Mary 2. Wonderful.

Second time was in and out of New York on the QM2 with a middle bit of the sandwich being a cruise down to the Bahamas on the NCL Breakaway. You couldn't find 2 more different ships, but we absolutely loved the Breakaway, a refreshing change from the QM2.

Because cruise ships are pretty reliable at getting to port of debarkation on time, there seems little risk as long as the second cruise is from the same port , or a nearby one - see Fort Lauderdale and Miami, or New York and Bayonne or Brooklyn.

The problem I’d see is the wasted day and hassle - boarding and debarking, as well as packing and unpacking, are annoying processes -best avoided.

I don't see it as a problem. embarkation and debarkation are just small irritations to pay for having fun. They're over before you know it. I also don't see it as a wasted day. We'll plan some sort of adventure or sightseeing and make the most of our extra day in-between. As far as packing and unpacking - I take short travel trips for work frequently, so I have that down to a science. In fact, I have my carry-on bag packed with essentials at all times, just minus the clothes. The hard part will be to convince hubby that he can pack a carry-on only. I will probably lose that one, especially since we get a free checked luggage with the airlines. I just hate dealing with luggage.

We took a one week Voyage of the Glaciers cruise Northbound from Vancouver. This was followed by a 5 day land tour to Denali. Then two extra days in Anchorage. Finally, a Southbound cruise back to Vancouver.

The cruises were on different Princess ships (Coral and Star).