Is silk harvest on solstice worth a visit??.

portcbob

We will be dining in Blu. ;) Do you feel that the "deals" for Silk Harvest would be better further into the cruise, or is the 50% off deal, for Blu passengers on the first night, a better deal?

Alot depends on the laws of supply and demand. My thought is that you should be able to get a good "deal" in Silk Harvest later in the cruise. No guarantee. But that 50% is too good to pass up on the first night and I would probably jump at it. We typically use our discount on the first night to avoid the chaos in Blu.

• 3 months later...
The OP asked if Silk Harvest was worth visiting not how 'authentically Asian' is the food.

Quite honestly, I have had some truly terrible 'authentically Asian' food in Asia, especially China, over a period of nearly 30 years.

It difficult to define 'authentic' food anymore in a world where, for example, new forms of Indian food have been invented in the UK and exported back to India.

Silk Harvest does not claim to be authentically anything. It serves a number of different styles of food that just happens to be enjoyable and tasty. As someone else mentioned, it is particularly popular with crew members.

We are leaving on Solstice March 5th. We have never been to Silk Harvest so we definitely plan to try it. We are not really expecting a 5 star foodie experience but just a new experience, a variation, with decent eats. Perhaps going in with this attitude we will enjoy our visit there.

We loved Silk Harvest over Sushi on Five. Tried sushi, hated it so Silk Harvest fit the bill for a different dining experience. We have eaten in some pretty bad so-called Asian restaurants, and I am born and raised in New York. Doesn't matter where you live, food is a subject that can go all over the place. What friends like you may hate.

I would try it and see. If you don't like it, don't go back. We NEVER go back to Qsine because it's just too much food and the 2 times we gave it a try, not to our liking. Some folks love it. See, subjective.

If you go, enjoy. Order the smaller plates and give them all a chance. Then, make decisions based on your own tastes.

We love Tuscan, not the current menu but the original ones. Murano is okay but wonderful for their lunch. Would go back there in a heartbeat for lunch.

So, have a great experience, no matter what you choose.

Pat C

After having eaten at all the Specialty restaurants on Celebrity, with the exception of the Lawn Club, I'd say Silk Harvest is the only one I'd pay money to eat at. Preferably at a discount.

I read for years here about people that say it was bad, then went myself. We loved it.

Go, then you'll know for sure whether it's for you.

I would agree that Silk Harvest is worth the try. Everything is subjective so check it out yourself and determine whether it’s worth it. We just came off Solstice and enjoyed all the specialty restaurants.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are leaving on Solstice March 5th. We have never been to Silk Harvest so we definitely plan to try it. We are not really expecting a 5 star foodie experience but just a new experience, a variation, with decent eats. Perhaps going in with this attitude we will enjoy our visit there.

Hi Rick, Colleen and I love Silk Harvest. We normally do a few times on 2 week cruise and also Muranos a few times. Tuscan is a bit heavy for our liking, but each to their own. You may be pleasantly surprised. See ya onboard soon. Cheers Denise

Hi Rick, Colleen and I love Silk Harvest. We normally do a few times on 2 week cruise and also Muranos a few times. Tuscan is a bit heavy for our liking, but each to their own. You may be pleasantly surprised. See ya onboard soon. Cheers Denise

Thanks Denise. We will definitely give it a try. We have 16 days on the ship!

Rick, Chuck and I plan to check out Silk Harvest as well. We enjoyed it the only time we ate there . . . but that was on Solstice's inaugural eastbound TA in 2009 so I know there are many differences!

See you onboard!

We live in an area in Sydney where there are lots of Asian restaurants, covering most Asian cuisines, so we are quite accustomed to good, reasonably authentic, Asian food. Silk Harvest was a travesty of Asian cuisine. Dumplings that were almost raw, a salad dressing that was overly sweet and totally unbalanced, and duck that was overcooked and flavourless. But the worst travesty of all was the so-called Hunan beef. Hunan cuisine is renowned for its spiciness. There was absolutely no chilli at all in this dish. The only thing remotely resembling chilli was a tiny piece of red pepper used as a garnish. It was bland and definitely not Hunan flavours. When we queried our waiter we were told "that's how people like it". :confused::eek:Why call it Hunan beef if they aren't going to make it taste like Hunan beef? Why not just call it beef stirfry? Never again!

Interesting!

We returned from our cruise on the Solstice last week. We dined in Silk Harvest one evening. The Spring Rolls and Tempura Shrimp were very good. :) We ordered a second helping of the shrimp. Loved the "bang bang" flavor. Then it came time for the entrees. DH ordered cashew chicken. Only a few cashews. DH said the dish was just OK. I ordered the Hunan Beef. It is my "go to" when eating Asian food. Not only was it spicy enough...it was TOO spicy! Not the best that I have ever had. I was also full by the time the entrees came. :D

We live in an area in Sydney where there are lots of Asian restaurants, covering most Asian cuisines, so we are quite accustomed to good, reasonably authentic, Asian food. Silk Harvest was a travesty of Asian cuisine. Dumplings that were almost raw, a salad dressing that was overly sweet and totally unbalanced, and duck that was overcooked and flavourless. But the worst travesty of all was the so-called Hunan beef. Hunan cuisine is renowned for its spiciness. There was absolutely no chilli at all in this dish. The only thing remotely resembling chilli was a tiny piece of red pepper used as a garnish. It was bland and definitely not Hunan flavours. When we queried our waiter we were told "that's how people like it". :confused::eek:Why call it Hunan beef if they aren't going to make it taste like Hunan beef? Why not just call it beef stirfry? Never again!

So where should we go for Asian food in Sydney near the harbour area (Marriott)?

So where should we go for Asian food in Sydney near the harbour area (Marriott)?

The harbour area isn't great for Asian food. The only place I've been to there in recent years is Mr Chows Peking restaurant in Kent St in the Rocks, it's near the corner where Kent meets Argyle St.

There are some good Thai restaurants down near Central Station - actually in the area surrounding the Capitol Theatre. We like Siam House, great food and good value for money. I'm not sure what's in Chinatown these days but I think World Square has some good Asian eateries including the Taiwanese dumpling chain Din Tai Fung, but again World Square is at the other end of the CBD.

The suburb I was referring to was Chatswood, a short train ride from the CBD on the Northern line. My nickname for Chatswood is "Little Singapore" based on the variety of Asian food there. ;) There are some good restaurants in and around the railway station - there is a restaurant level called The District on top of the station. The Westfield shopping mall has Hawker Lane with some very interesting outlets, and it also has a Din Tai Fung on a upper level. There are plenty of other good restaurants along Victoria Avenue.

Silk Harvest does not claim to be authentically anything. It serves a number of different styles of food that just happens to be enjoyable and tasty.

Clipped from the Celebrity website blub about Silk Harvest:

"Our waitstaff, all from Asian countries themselves, will be delighted to walk you through our authentic and expansive menu"

Interesting!

We returned from our cruise on the Solstice last week. We dined in Silk Harvest one evening. The Spring Rolls and Tempura Shrimp were very good. :) We ordered a second helping of the shrimp. Loved the "bang bang" flavor. Then it came time for the entrees. DH ordered cashew chicken. Only a few cashews. DH said the dish was just OK. I ordered the Hunan Beef. It is my "go to" when eating Asian food. Not only was it spicy enough...it was TOO spicy! Not the best that I have ever had. I was also full by the time the entrees came. :D

Maybe they took notice of our complaint about the Hunan Beef. ;):)

We had dinner here Restaurant_Review-g255060-d756712-Reviews-The_East_Chinese_Restaurant-Sydney_New_South_Wales.html the evening before our recent Solstice cruise. Beautiful outdoor tables overlooking the water, the bridge, and the ship (because it had come in a day early.) The food was pretty good. ;) Excellent extensive menu. The prices were a bit steep compared to what we could get at our favorite Chinese restaurant from back home. But the view made up for eat. Also a great place to people watch. And we saw some very interesting people during our 1.5 hour meal!

We had dinner here Restaurant_Review-g255060-d756712-Reviews-The_East_Chinese_Restaurant-Sydney_New_South_Wales.html the evening before our recent Solstice cruise. Beautiful outdoor tables overlooking the water, the bridge, and the ship (because it had come in a day early.) The food was pretty good. ;) Excellent extensive menu. The prices were a bit steep compared to what we could get at our favorite Chinese restaurant from back home. But the view made up for eat. Also a great place to people watch. And we saw some very interesting people during our 1.5 hour meal!

Was that at East on the Opera House side of Circular Quay? If so, yes, it is expensive. You pay for the location.

• 4 weeks later...

We did have dinner at Silk Harvest on Solstice. I must admit we were a bit disappointed in the food. Tuscan Grill and Murano were definitely at step above Silk Harvest. The service was good but the food was about average at best.

• 11 months later...

My wife and I visited Silk Harvest on the Equinox a few minutes ago. The food was good! We rated it like this:

P.F. Changs/Pei Wei < Silk Harvest < Other Chinese/Thai restaurants

At $20/head (last day of the cruise), checking it out was a no brainer.

If you can only visit one, DEFINITELY do Murano, specifically the nine-course. It was INCREDIBLE.

On 2/22/2018 at 9:41 AM, PatC said:

We love Tuscan, not the current menu but the original ones. Murano is okay but wonderful for their lunch. Would go back there in a heartbeat for lunch.

Pat C

What do you remember fondly from the original menu at Tuscan? What’s changed?