Underage Married Couple

mrsdarkstar247

Members of U.S. Mili tary who are under 21 can wear the uniform, serve in a war zone and risk their lives in the servcice of their country but cannot legally ddrink. If tthey cannot hav e a drink on a c ruise ship, an under age husband or wife have little to 'moan' a bout in that regard, IMO.

All best wishes on your upcoming marrriage. Hope you have many happy years together i n the best t of good health and are able to 'have fun' on your cruise despite no liquor.

Well, when I was 20 years old I could never make a comment like "...since we haven't gone on vacation without alcohol in years". That implies that they have been drinking alcohol since they were 17 or 18, and maybe even earlier. That's pretty young to be drinking. Only twenty, and they are already sounding like they are alcoholics, especially with so much concern about not having fun unless they can drink.

So, yes, the OP is getting exactly the responses they should be getting.

I'm with you , PT mARY, My late DH and I had our first drinks on our 21 st birthdays. Our birrthdays were a few days apart and we were a couple from tthe age of 19 until death did us part.. I hardly drink now but not at all until I was 21. We both had our first drinks celebating our 21 st b 'days.

Edited by sail7seas

As a Canadian, our legal drinking age is 18 or 19 depending on the province. Once may say it then promotes earlier drinking ages, but I really don't think a border, or for that matter - a law changes the habits of age groups. Ask your kids or grand kids what the high school and college practice is - even in say 25% of that demographic.

Feel free to state that 'I didn't do it', but if you think broader, I don't think it is so unique.

The 'terrified' comment was as much due to the way the thread also dissolves into criticisms of fellow posters and the unfriendliness of it all. You are a hard crowd to play to and as been said before - judgments abound. TTFN

The 'terrified' comment was as much due to the way the thread also dissolves into criticisms of fellow posters and the unfriendliness of it all. You are a hard crowd to play to and as been said before - judgments abound. TTFN

At the risk of being myself called "judgmental", I would like to suggest that in a chat room like CC, where people come up ideas and statements which beg for response, posters lay off terming frank responses as "judgments".

Too often frank and honest, albeit critical, responses to posts are trashed as being hostile or judgmental. Well, if a position posted strikes a reader as being inane or irresponsible isn't a straight reflection of opinion preferable to pussy-footing around to avoid hurting someone's feelings?

If a newly-wed 20 year old expresses fears about not being able to enjoy a sober honeymoon because she has been conditioned by "years" of alcohol-enhanced vacations, perhaps the kndest response IS a slap upside the head.

If a newly-wed 20 year old expresses fears about not being able to enjoy a sober honeymoon because she has been conditioned by "years" of alcohol-enhanced vacations, perhaps the kndest response IS a slap upside the head.

Awesome, post of the day

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't always agree with NBT but certainly do on this one.

At the risk of being myself called "judgmental", I would like to suggest that in a chat room like CC, where people come up ideas and statements which beg for response, posters lay off terming frank responses as "judgments".

Too often frank and honest, albeit critical, responses to posts are trashed as being hostile or judgmental. Well, if a position posted strikes a reader as being inane or irresponsible isn't a straight reflection of opinion preferable to pussy-footing around to avoid hurting someone's feelings?

brilliantly posted

There is a proverb 24:26

"An honest answer is like a kiss on the lips"

We don't get honest answers much anymore. Thanks, navybankerteacher.

Love this response

The thing that kills me is that if the OP is cruising the Caribbean, they will have plenty of opportunities to drink in port.

There is a proverb 24:26

"An honest answer is like a kiss on the lips"

We don't get honest answers much anymore. Thanks, navybankerteacher.

Refreshing. post.

One honest answer is worth more than 20 that are tempered to fit poliitical correctness of the day. :rolleyes:

I was thrown by the OP's comment about worrying as to whether they will have fun on a non-alcohol HONEYMOON cruise. But when the next comment was that they hadn't vacationed without alcohol in years, well, was I the only one who felt that maybe they should get to know each other without alcohol before they get married? No? Just me?

Sadly, the OP's original post is one of the most depressing I've read on CC in quite some time.

In this day and age, married at 20 years old. What's wrong with that picture?[emoji102]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In 1970, when we were both 20, I married my "practice" wife. That marriage only lasted 4 years due to our immaturity, uncertainty about what our future together was, and, quite frankly, financial reasons. I waited another 10 years before marrying my permanent wife at age 34. That has worked out so much better, with our 34th anniversary coming up in two weeks.

I agree - 20 is way too young to get married.

"If a newly-wed 20 year old expresses fears about not being able to enjoy a sober honeymoon because she has been conditioned by "years" of alcohol-enhanced vacations, perhaps the kndest response IS a slap upside the head."

Where's the LIKE button?!

Yes, I married at 20; we were married for 44.5 yrs., but "20" is still too young in almost all cases (including mine).

I’m sure the OP regrets even asking now. I agree you can have fun without alcohol and I do all the time. Likely she will find this out soon on her cruise.

Yes, 20 is young to get married. I got married at 22 and we are still together almost 20 years later. Over half of marriages fail, and it isn’t exclusive to young age. Maybe we shouldn’t be so judgmental...just a thought.

Quoting bible verses to backup unkind remarks is sad. There are many verses about being kind as well maybe look some of those up and reread...

To OP : you can’t drink onboard, but you can in port. Have a great honeymoon and congratulations on your marriage.

Just drink in port....even though cruises are fun without alcohol. If you are worried about not having fun drinks to hold and pose for selfies with then just get zero proof versions of cocktails. As much as it can be done don't try and sneak booze on the ship....its just too much hassle tbh.

You can married at 20 or 50 and not be ready/be ready for marriage so ignore the naysayers. I personally think the over 21 drinking thing in the US is way harsh and if you are used to a drink now and then and nothing bad as happened as reasonable adults you should be able to have a drink or two on occasion.

Maybe you could have booked a European cruise with a flexible line?

I’m sure the OP regrets even asking now. I agree you can have fun without alcohol and I do all the time. Likely she will find this out soon on her cruise.

Yes, 20 is young to get married. I got married at 22 and we are still together almost 20 years later. Over half of marriages fail, and it isn’t exclusive to young age. Maybe we shouldn’t be so judgmental...just a thought.

Quoting bible verses to backup unkind remarks is sad. There are many verses about being kind as well maybe look some of those up and reread...

To OP : you can’t drink onboard, but you can in port. Have a great honeymoon and congratulations on your marriage.

What a lovely post. Thank you.

Maybe dismissing good faith responses to posts as being "judgmental" just because they point out facts or truths uncomfortable to the poster is kind of silly ... just a thought.

You are quoting where I was commenting on over half of marriages fail and that is not exclusive to young age. I don’t see what about that comment that they’re too young to be married is a good faith response. That is judgmental. Age doesn’t represent readiness for marriage.

I still stand by my post as many in this thread were being judgmental and unkind. I fail to see how calling that out is being silly. Just more “truths” for you. Is maybe the problem only you can speak your truth and it not be silly? Hope I didn’t make you uncomfortable.

One time when I was in my late 20's, I went to the nearby grocery store (but not one that I went enough that I would say they knew me) having left my ID in a pocket from a recent trip. As I'm saying 'put the beer back', the clerk says 'oh it's OK- you have a wedding ring'. This is a store that has an 'ID under 40 policy'...

One time when I was in my late 20's, I went to the nearby grocery store (but not one that I went enough that I would say they knew me) having left my ID in a pocket from a recent trip. As I'm saying 'put the beer back', the clerk says 'oh it's OK- you have a wedding ring'. This is a store that has an 'ID under 40 policy'...

Dumb store owner, alcohol laws make no provision for married persons, he could face serious charges.

Just drink in port....even though cruises are fun without alcohol. If you are worried about not having fun drinks to hold and pose for selfies with then just get zero proof versions of cocktails. As much as it can be done don't try and sneak booze on the ship....its just too much hassle tbh.

You can married at 20 or 50 and not be ready/be ready for marriage so ignore the naysayers. I personally think the over 21 drinking thing in the US is way harsh and if you are used to a drink now and then and nothing bad as happened as reasonable adults you should be able to have a drink or two on occasion.

Maybe you could have booked a European cruise with a flexible line?

I agree with this. I'm laughing at those who say a 20 year old shouldn't be married. Seriously? :')