Guy's Burger Joint - Did I do it wrong?

JMCruising

Thank you!

I actually feel kinda dumb because I’m not necessarily a new cruiser- we’re Gold. I’m not sure why I never made this connection.

The only problem, if you want to call it that is when you special order a pizza, you get the whole thing, all 4 slices, not just two like they normally hand you.

The only problem, if you want to call it that is when you special order a pizza, you get the whole thing, all 4 slices, not just two like they normally hand you.

You don’t have to take all four. You can tell them you just want two when they’re cutting it. There’s usually someone else in line more than willing to take the other two....And you can ask for four when you don’t special order.

I've always been handed a plain cheeseburger unless I request something different. They never seem to mind, but most seem to want the plain cheeseburger, so they offer those up to keep the line moving I assume. I don't like cheese on my burgers, so it's sometimes a little wait as they seem to automatically put the cheese on them. But not anything major, like 2 minutes, lol. Just noticeable, but not annoying or anything.

On our first cruise, I thought the menu was just for suggestions on how you could make it yourself at the topping bar, they did not seem like you could get anything besides a plain burger or cheeseburger. But on every cruise after, I've asked or seen others ask, with no issues at all.

Agree. I am guessing most want a cheeseburger to top so that's the default and keeps the operation moving fast. If you ask for a menu item you wait a few minutes while they make it for you.

Just a heads up, if you ask for a menu item you definitely don’t wait a few minutes for them to make it. It literally takes them five seconds to add an onion ring, pig patty, or a scoop of chili to the burger. Don’t be afraid to order what you want and it will have a minimal impact on the line and the way the guys work.

Just a heads up, if you ask for a menu item you definitely don’t wait a few minutes for them to make it. It literally takes them five seconds to add an onion ring, pig patty, or a scoop of chili to the burger. Don’t be afraid to order what you want and it will have a minimal impact on the line and the way the guys work.

That’s been my experience with ringers. They just throw on an onion ring and bbq sauce. It takes seconds.

ok, can someone describe the menu items?

ringer?

pig patty?

straight up?

any others?

have a picture of the menu board?

And for future reference, most of the food places on board have menus you can see from the Carnival website:

Guy's:

https://www.carnival.com/~/media/Images/explore/dining/menus/guys-burger-joint-menu.pdf

Seafood Shack:

https://www.carnival.com/~/media/Images/explore/dining/menus/seafood-shack-menu.pdf

Bear in mind I haven't been to Guy's yet, but I imagine they would have to just hand you a burger and let you fix it, if they want to keep the line moving. If they took extra time to prepare each burger individually (like they do for a sandwich at a Subway) it would take way too long.

I'd trade fixing my own burger over waiting in a longer line and having it done for me.

Bear in mind I haven't been to Guy's yet, but I imagine they would have to just hand you a burger and let you fix it, if they want to keep the line moving. If they took extra time to prepare each burger individually (like they do for a sandwich at a Subway) it would take way too long.

I'd trade fixing my own burger over waiting in a longer line and having it done for me.

It's not that difficult to put the burgers together. All the extra stuff is ready they just slap it all together and hand it to you. Takes just as long to get a plain Jane as the ringer or pig Patty.

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

No offense, but you literally have no clue what you’re talking about. You even admit you’ve never visited, so why respond with conjecture?

You tell them what you want from the menu and it takes them literally four to six seconds to add an onion ring, scoop of chili, or a pig patty all of which are literally within arms reach of the guys handing you your burger.

Guys, bottom line it’s a menu and it’s there for your ordering benefit. How this is so difficult to understand by some is way beyond me. Haha

Actually, on second thought, the burgers are dry, the line is always HUGE, and that thing that looks like a menu is just a suggestion on how to build your own burger. Most of the time the burgers and fries are cold and disgusting. Everything bad you ever heard is true. Definitely stay away from Guy’s AND Blue Iguana next cruise!

Eeeeeeeeewwwwwww. The grossest ever.

The grill on the Miracle was actually pretty decent. It kinda had a backwards setup. Burgers and dogs on the end and the sautéed onions, chili, and “cheese sauce” behind them so you had to wait in line for the protein, then cut back in line to top it. Tasted great though.

I'm a little puzzled by all the hoopla in this thread as well. While the workers at Guy's might not routinely ask you if you'd like one of the menu "specials," I've always been free to read the menu and ask (typically for a Ringer)...and gotten it just fine, without much, if any, extra waiting.

Even if I forget to speak up, the toppings bar is pretty awesome anyway, quickly converting a Plain Jane to something nice and customized.

BTW, I think you can make a "Straight Up" entirely at the toppings bar, since lettuce, tomatoes, onions and pickles as well as the "donkey" sauce are all available at the bar.

Can't tell you how much I missed having Guy's* on our last Royal cruise. The "beef" burgers on the buffet were...pretty bad. Methinks they doth protest too much.

---

* or, y'know, any of 3 or 4 other great lunch options Carnival routinely provides on its ships...and Royal doesn't.

IMHO, Guy's Burgers applies methods of mass production to their burgers. Results depend on how long ago your burger was cooked. They're more concerned with keeping their line moving than with providing a custom burger experience. I've had great juicy burgers from Guy's and also dry, not so tasty burgers. Results are random dependent on how long ago my particular burger was cooked. I love the toppings bar because that is the best way to customize. You have to specify when your turn comes up in line which burger you want. The rest is up to you. But it may not result in a great burger experience dependent on how long ago your patty was cooked prior to being placed on your plate.

Guy's has a menu or 6 or 8 burgers that have 2 or 3 things more than a cheeseburger. When you get to the sereving end of the line tell the serving person what you want. It takes about a minute to assemble it, put it on a plate, add fries, and hand it to you. I really cannot believe that this thread has even made it past 1 page. THIS IS A NO BRAINER!

I understand the OPs confusion. When Guys was first on the ships it seemed like they asked everyone what they wanted OR everyone was looking at the menu and specifying. My last several trips, however, have been more like the experience of the OP. I only saw one or two people order anything from the menu any day and we as well as most others I saw just waited until a batch of cheeseburgers were ready and took it to the toppings bar. Not a complaint just observing how the line was working more recently. If I hadn't been before I would have wondered what the menu was for also.

No offense, but you literally have no clue what you’re talking about. You even admit you’ve never visited, so why respond with conjecture?

You tell them what you want from the menu and it takes them literally four to six seconds to add an onion ring, scoop of chili, or a pig patty all of which are literally within arms reach of the guys handing you your burger.

Guys, bottom line it’s a menu and it’s there for your ordering benefit. How this is so difficult to understand by some is way beyond me. Haha

Literally?