What would you do???

Action Dave

I'd spend the time in Rome or nearby environs. You really need a week to start to "know" a city like Rome....

My suggestions (the first three are musts, IMO):

One day visiting the Colosseum/Forum/Palatine Hill and Baths of Caracalla (plus either the Capitoline museum or the Museum of the Imperial Forums)

One day visiting St. Peters, the Vatican Museums and Castel Sant'Angelo

One day visiting the main sites of the Centro Storico -- Campo di Fiori, Piazza Navona, the Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, plus some of the outstanding churches in the area

One day visiting Ostia Antica (just outside Rome) if you are not already doing Pompeii on this trip -- or even if you are ;).

One day visiting the ancient Roman sites on the other side of the Roman Forum, including Largo Argentina, Theatre of Marcellus, Mouth of Truth, the old Ghetto, etc. (morning) and Trastevere (afternoon/evening)

One day to Tivoli (day trip/tour) to see Hadrian's villa and Villa d'Este

One day to fill in any other sites you want to see (or may not have gotten to on the other days) -- the Borghese Gallery, Basilica of San Clemente, Church of San Pietro in Vincoli, St. John Lateran, Ara Pacis museum....

Most of the days I've listed aren't so hectic that you should have to rush through them. Take breaks -- enjoy lunch outside, get some gelato, have an aperitif somewhere with a good view or good peoplewatching, etc.

If you plan on visiting all the attractions listed above, it’s a good idea to get online entry ahead of time. It’ll save you hours of queuing.

These sites are useful https://www.romeandvaticanpass.com/?aid=316&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1q-w6-y52QIVbyjTCh1gEg2MEAAYAiAAEgLxn_D_BwE

http://www.turismoroma.it/?lang=en

https://www.rome.info

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would make it 10 days in Rome. Do everything listed in all of the above comments plus a trip to the Etruscan ruins and perhaps to Orvieto. And also get some timed admission tix to the underground stuff like the scavi tour etc. I would add a day trip to Florence and/or Naples/Capri too if not on your cruise

Oh and start now scouring all the info websites so you know everything there is to know about rome

I would strong consider hiring a professional, local, private guide with extensive knowledge. With so much to see and do, a guide can help you prioritize what’s important, purchase bypass-the-line tickets, and provide unique insight that only a local can. Knowing how to navigate the museums to maximize your time, selecting the best vantage points, finding out of the way gems, are all reasons to hire a local.

You don’t have to have a guide full-time, But I’d recommend at least two half day sessions. If you can share the cost with another couple (or two)the price is pretty affordable.

We were in Rome with another couple for 6 days in 2016 and had the good fortune to have a wonderful guide that can recommend without reservations: https://www.toromewithdino.com. Dino has a Ph.D. In history, worked for both the Vatican and Italian Public Television and provided the most amazing tours we have ever had anywhere—tailored to a list we had provided in advance. He had been booked through our travel agent who had extensive previous experience with Dino and other customers, but you can book him directly or through Viator. On one day, Dino provided a driver and van and on the other day it was just walking.

Dino also arranged for a guide in Florence (a young lady with a PhD in Art History) and in Florence.

We are going back to Rome this fall with one of my adult daughters and her boyfriend, and will be hiring Dino again. One site we look forward to visiting on our next visit is Ostia Antica, which Rick Steves called the most under appreciated attraction in all of Italy. Good luck and eat lots of gelato! Rome is my favorite city!