No more cruising for a while.

Things have certainly changed. The gigantic ships, My Time Dining and the overall casualness of formal nights. The same happened with the airline industry. People no longer care about glamorous dinners, and formal escapism. It’s been replaced with high volume drink packages and multiple dining venues. It started on other cruise lines and the infection has finally reached Royal. Unfortunately it’s here to stay. It’s time to move to a more specialized cruise line.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I’m a long time cruiser and agree. Cruising has really changed, not for the better. I decided to try Celebrity and was so much happier with food and service. It was more mellow but had some fun nightlife. I’ve decided I will pay a little more for a higher quality experience.

I like to consider myself young, I'm 35, and one of the things we LIKE about RC are the formal nights. That's right, born in the 1980's, and we LIKE to dress up! You are absolutely correct that society has gotten lazy. We think it's nice to have an excuse to dress up now and then and be around others who are as well. Not to mention, it makes for great photo opportunities.

We're both business professionals and things have gotten so lax in the corporate world that I've seen people wear clothes to the office that I would deem unacceptable for the RC dining room (if I could enforce a dress code).

Why don’t you make opportunities to “dress up” at home? Many of us dressed up or wore some uniform for our working lives. Now I only wear my suits/tux for weddings, funerals, and big parties/events. When we cruise, we are on vacation.

Things have certainly changed. The gigantic ships, My Time Dining and the overall casualness of formal nights.
I’m a long time cruiser and agree. Cruising has really changed, not for the better.

If you haven't done so, try an RCL Europe sailing on Radiance or Vision Class.

I've come to the conclusion that food sourced in Europe is much better quality than here in North America, and thus the MDR and specialty have been excellent for me on Europe sailings. I'm on Brilliance in June (UK) so we'll see if my thoughts are re-enforced. Less number of C&A in the lounges as well so the concierge and staff in general get to know you everyday you see them (and they do nice "extra" things for you) rather than being invisible with 500 D+ others in the CL as is being reported lately. Europeans dress on formal night and also all other nights generally better, they respect the MDR dress "suggestion".

Just move to a more expensive line. Seriously, we have spent a lot of time on Princess over the past few years and felt the same as you about the general ambience (although not the dressing up, we loathe that) and especially the food. We just tried Azamara and will be using them and Oceania/Seabourne in future. Smaller ships make an very significant difference and the price hike keeps the ‘bogans’ away. We have decided that we don’t care if we cruise less frequently, it will have to be so if we choose the more costly lines but at least we enjoy it when we are onboard, versus feeling annoyed or downright angry about everything.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by lahore

We've been cruising for 20 years and all but 3 times have been with RCCL. To say the least, we've been very loyal and introduced many of our friends to RCCL. We sailed on January 27th on Harmony of the Seas and due to health issues, this was our first cruise in 3 years. The ship was beautiful and clean, the crew was friendly and helpful but the whole dining experience was very disappointing. Over the years we've noticed changes, of course, but what a difference 3 years has made! Back in the "good old days" the dining was elegant, food was delicious and presentation impeccable. Gone are the days when we would have a drink on our table when we arrived and the bar waiter would pass our table frequently. At the end of the meal, we would have the opportunity to have the after-dinner-drink of the day and who could pass these up in the pretty little glasses? The food served was so delicious there was no need to pay extra for eating in a special place on board. In fact, as I recall, there were no separate restaurants. On formal nights there was either a pianist or string quartet, and other nights as well. Our last night on the Harmony, I swear my selection was a frozen dinner! And don't even get me started of the lack of dress code. Are we the only ones objecting to this and should we just move on to another cruise line for older and stuffier cruisers?
I've been cruising just as long, and I remember those stuffier cruises you described. Personally, I love the freestyle way of cruising today, so much better than the cruises of yester-year. Good luck finding a cruise line that caters to an older and stuffier crowd.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

Just move to a more expensive line. Seriously, we have spent a lot of time on Princess over the past few years and felt the same as you about the general ambience and especially the food. We just tried Azamara and will be using them and Oceania/Seabourne in future. Smaller ships make an very significant difference and the price hike keeps the ‘bogans’ away. We have decided that we don’t care if we cruise less frequently, it will have to be so if we choose the more costly lines but at least we enjoy it when we are onboard, versus feeling annoyed or downright angry about everything.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Our best recent experience was in Haven on NCL. The Haven area of the very large Norwegian Epic was as you describe the "Good old days" of RCL. WORTH every extra dime.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Forums mobile app

We love cruising on Royal and yes, the dining experience is very different than our first cruise. The ships are also different. I'm 66 and we take a family cruise every year and we've been doing this for about 20 years. In fact, my Grandson was four when he started cruising and is now 24. The changes on the ships have made it possible for him to continue to enjoy going on these family trips. There's something for all of us to enjoy. As far as the food, I assure you that it's not a frozen dinner. I worked long hours for many years while my children were going up and there were many nights that we had frozen food for dinner. What you are being served isn't a frozen dinner. There have also been many documentaries showing the galley on the ships and the work that goes into the meals. Are they the same as they were 20 years ago? No. Twenty years ago, they weren't serving gluten free, dairy free, vegetarian, vegan, lactose intolerant cruisers either. We're perfectly happy to have someone else doing the cooking and clean up and we like the food, but then we've actually eaten those frozen dinners and know these aren't the same. As for the dress code, I must be in the minority for people my age, but I like the relaxed dress code and the more casual dress doesn't bother me at all. You're still free to dress like you are on the red carpet at the Oscars if you choose. It doesn't bother me if someone wants to wear a ball gown every night. We were on a Celebrity cruise and a Royal cruise last year and Celebrity has an even more relaxed dress code than Royal, and I found very few differences in the food. I guess that's why there are different cruise lines. I'm sure there is a cruise line out there. Maybe Cunard would better suit you?

We've been cruising for 20 years and all but 3 times have been with RCCL. To say the least, we've been very loyal and introduced many of our friends to RCCL. We sailed on January 27th on Harmony of the Seas and due to health issues, this was our first cruise in 3 years. The ship was beautiful and clean, the crew was friendly and helpful but the whole dining experience was very disappointing. Over the years we've noticed changes, of course, but what a difference 3 years has made! Back in the "good old days" the dining was elegant, food was delicious and presentation impeccable. Gone are the days when we would have a drink on our table when we arrived and the bar waiter would pass our table frequently. At the end of the meal, we would have the opportunity to have the after-dinner-drink of the day and who could pass these up in the pretty little glasses? The food served was so delicious there was no need to pay extra for eating in a special place on board. In fact, as I recall, there were no separate restaurants. On formal nights there was either a pianist or string quartet, and other nights as well. Our last night on the Harmony, I swear my selection was a frozen dinner! And don't even get me started of the lack of dress code. Are we the only ones objecting to this and should we just move on to another cruise line for older and stuffier cruisers?

We have cruised for over 15 years and have noticed subtle changes over the years. We tend to sail with either RCCL, Celebrity or Princess. All of these cruise companies have sadly become less formal and cut down to make financial savings. I recently was looking at photographs of our first cruise with Princess and noticed that the appearance of lobster in the MDR was a regular occurrence, you now need to pay extra for that treat.

We were on the same cruise. I agree with the alternative additional fee restaurants options. The menu choices on the last night were not favorable. We did get a little tipsy because we didn’t have anything in our bellies. This was our first Mega ship, we weren’t happy with the ordeal to book entertainment. We booked everything we could ahead of time but the things we couldn’t until we got on board wasn’t available.

In many ways you are right that as a society we have changed and therefore our travel logs have changed as well. I can accept change, it happens all the time in corporations and what they offer. But overall the cruising experience for US, is still a great way to vacation. What disappoints me personally is how crude and rude too many cruisers have become, and unfortunately this is also reflective in how our society has changed. It isn't just the poor etiquette at elevators or the chair hogs at the pool or the lack of manners at dinner, it is in so many other areas. Pushing and shoving to arguing with a crew/staff member about something that the crew/staff member has no oversight ability on. I watched a cruiser argue with a member of the gym staff over a class schedule and the cruiser would not back off. The cruise line keeps the same schedule of classes on 'at sea' days....but the cruiser would not accept the fact that perhaps she had picked up the wrong clipboard when signing up for the class. The cruiser literally was pointing her finger right at the staff members nose.

I would have reported that abuse to the appropriate supervisor.

There is no way I would stand by and watch some innocent employee be berated.

Why is it "lazy" to not play dress up? After a day around the pool I'm going to shower and shave and I'm going to put on clean clothes, What's "lazy" about a collared shirt and khakis as opposed to suit and tie? I'll never wear a tie again if I don't have to. Why is that "lazy"?

Perhaps "lazy" was a poor choice of words. Probably "lack of class" would have been more appropriate.

If you received a wedding invitation, or any invitation and the instructions were to wear "formal attire," you would adhere to the request, out of respect, right? I sure would hope so.

A cruise is no different. Formal attire is instructed for MDR on formal night. That's the whole purpose of said formal night. Don't like it, go to the buffet.

I'm aware my statements will cause a backlash, but if you don't like formal nights, perhaps Carnival is more your cup of tea.

Perhaps "lazy" was a poor choice of words. Probably "lack of class" would have been more appropriate.

If you received a wedding invitation, or any invitation and the instructions were to wear "formal attire," you would adhere to the request, out of respect, right? I sure would hope so.

A cruise is no different. Formal attire is instructed for MDR on formal night. That's the whole purpose of said formal night. Don't like it, go to the buffet.

I'm aware my statements will cause a backlash, but if you don't like formal nights, perhaps Carnival is more your cup of tea.

Suggested is not instructed.

“Lack of class” .... really? Who defines what that really means?

Dress codes are suggested and not enforced. Time to get over it.

Too funny and just out of touch. Formal night is still there for people who want it, but many don't. Don't like it, move on to a cruise line that enforces it if you can find one.:p

For a wedding, you have a point.

Cruise ships are not weddings, they are vacations. Some people have to dress nice on a daily basis, and want to get away from that. Others are looking for as much of a beach retreat as possible. And others want to pack as little as they can get away with and still have a good time.

We love to dress up- but I would hardly call it formal.

Here's what I don't get- why do people get bent out of shape based on what other people do and look like? (assuming, of course, it does not actually impact you) How people dress does not impact you what so ever. So why care about it- I'm on MY vacation, I'm NOT going to take the time to give a crap about how you dress or look. And I don't expect you to care about my loud shirt that is not tucked in on formal night.

When you go to a wedding, it's out of respect for the invitation that you received. When you go on vacation, it's your time.

Formal attire is suggested.

And telling people they have "lack of class" is no better. One might say it shows a "lack of class" to talk down to people you don't know just becaus ethey have a different opinion of how they would like to dress for dinner on a cruise. Remember, non-formal doesn't automatically mean dirty, smelly, gymwear, swim suits, etc.

I'll try, however I figure I'll surely do something after I get back.

I am expecting the world from this sailing so we'll see if it lives up to expectations. From communicating with previous O cruisers they all treat the ship like a big DL/CL, getting together every night to visit and talk about their day just like we do in the DL/CL.

Fyi, Oceania revenue called me 3 weeks ago to upsell me from an interior to a Concierge veranda ($400).... then last week called me again (Revenue again... I asked to confirm who was calling) to upsell again from that veranda to a penthouse (another $500).

I am so damn lucky and super grateful! :)

Wondering without the upsell the price of the penthouse must have been a lot more than what you are now paying or you would have booked it to begin with. So originally this Oceania penthouse was way more than the gs on harmony.

Your experience with your price point cannot be compared to actual pricing for both lines. This is like comparing apples to oranges as your price is an upsell. This is like a fellow passenger on our oasis cruise got a star loft for $1000 more than their balcony room. So total for a 7 night cruise it cost them under $3000 for two with drink package, specialty dining, grats, internet and genie. Their cabin was a 1000 square ft with 300 sq ft balcony. I dont expect to get a star loft cabin that usually goes for $15k for $3k without an extremely generous upsell and we should not expect to get a Oceania penthouse for your price of $3500 either.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Why don’t you make opportunities to “dress up” at home? Many of us dressed up or wore some uniform for our working lives. Now I only wear my suits/tux for weddings, funerals, and big parties/events. When we cruise, we are on vacation.

Same here.

Sounds like you're about readyto join the Cunard club.

Impeccable service, beautifully presented food, formal, well everynight is a chance to dress up. To top it off there is an abundance of stuffiness.

Be sure to bring along a therapy emotional support dog and anelectric wheelchair and you will fit right in. ;)

We were on the same cruise. I agree with the alternative additional fee restaurants options. The menu choices on the last night were not favorable. We did get a little tipsy because we didn’t have anything in our bellies. This was our first Mega ship, we weren’t happy with the ordeal to book entertainment. We booked everything we could ahead of time but the things we couldn’t until we got on board wasn’t available.

I am wondering what entertainment you were not able to book ahead of time? 7 cruises on Oasis class ships in 16 months and I have been able to book every entertainment venue ahead of time, even the comedy club. Of course I check and book a few months ahead of time. If all else fails you need to arrive 30 minutes before show and use the standby line. Should get in for all venues except for comedy club as the seating area is so limited.

Hopefully you give it a try again. If not there are many other cruise ships and lines tpntry out there.

Royal Caribbean is a mass market cruise, always has been. As society has become less formal, it is reflected in the cruise products being offered. If you consider that cruising today on Carnival, NCL & RCCL is much cheaper than it was 20 or 30 years ago none of this should come as a surprise. You get what you pay for.

As an alternative cruise product, I would recommend HAL, Windstar, Seabourne, Crystal, Cunard, Disney, Viking Ocean, Regent Seven Seas & Silversea Cruises as steps up from the masses. Several of these are truly "all inclusive".