Lobster

jerseymermaid

Normally, lobster is served on the second formal night. You can usually get a second serving.

Or a third.;)

DH usually asks for extra lobster with his meal rather than the steak (when it's surf & turf). I don't bother. It's lobster, but not all that great IMHO.

If you ask for lobster with a meal in Crown Grill, they'll charge you $10 extra.:(And some report they're only given one piece (can you spell rip off?). When we did it, we got more than one. YMMV

I’m probably a lobster snob having lived on the coast of Massachusetts for over 35 years but I never order lobster on the ship. It’s frozen lobster and is nothing like fresh caught steamed lobster.

Hi Pam,

I totally agree with you. There was nothing like a fresh Main Lobster from Jimmy’s Harbor side restaurant at the pier in Boston.

Tony

I’m probably a lobster snob having lived on the coast of Massachusetts for over 35 years but I never order lobster on the ship. It’s frozen lobster and is nothing like fresh caught steamed lobster.

Someday I will get to try good East Coast lobster. I certainly hope it is as good as I expect. I have had lobster that was fantastic - once. Other times have had lobster that was good but not often and never on a cruise. The lobster on Princess ships is tiny. Really tiny. Also mostly flavorless and either rubbery or still translucent. <shudder>

As for more than one... One man at our dinner table on our last cruise ordered multiple lobster tails on lobster night. He also ordered more than one main other times. It's never a problem in MDR. Just ask up front for extra or else ask for more later. I think it's easier on the serving staff to simply order multiples up front rather than asking for more later though.

Come visit Canada's east coast - Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. Guaranteed you will LOVE the lobster available here. :D

You got that right! Just heading out to buy it live for dinner guests. $8 CDN a pound! Love living in NS!!!

I've had lobster in the main dining rooms on Carnival, Disney and RCI a few times. It's been anywhere from just OK to very good. On my last Disney cruise I had them bring me 4 tails with a bowl of hot butter. All 4 were very good. You can order as many entrees, appetizers, and desserts as you desire on any of the major lines in the main dining rooms at no additional charge. I normally order 2 appetizers, 3 or 4 entrees and two desserts for dinner.

I'm looking forward to experiencing the food on the Ruby next spring.

We are just off the Regal and the lobster was not very good. Tiny tails and they are now serving a sauce over it instead of drawn butter. People were complaining loudly. I felt sorry for the servers. We were told this was a change in the menu. They used to serve prawns with the lobster. No more prawns.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I totally agree with you. There was nothing like a fresh Main Lobster from Jimmy’s Harbor side restaurant at the pier in Boston.
Tony, as you know and I try to explain to people, lobsters north of Cape Cod are all the same cold water lobsters. The lobsters don’t know they’re in Massachusetts, New Hampshire or Maine.

My business partner had a couple of lobster pots in Marblehead harbor (our company was in downtown M’head) and in the summer, he’d go out early in the morning, bring them in and hand them out to whoever wanted them.

We are just off the Regal and the lobster was not very good. Tiny tails and they are now serving a sauce over it instead of drawn butter. People were complaining loudly. I felt sorry for the servers. We were told this was a change in the menu. They used to serve prawns with the lobster. No more prawns.

Sounds like the dining continues to go downhill.

I've had lobster in the main dining rooms on Carnival, Disney and RCI a few times. It's been anywhere from just OK to very good. On my last Disney cruise I had them bring me 4 tails with a bowl of hot butter. All 4 were very good. You can order as many entrees, appetizers, and desserts as you desire on any of the major lines in the main dining rooms at no additional charge. I normally order 2 appetizers, 3 or 4 entrees and two desserts for dinner.

I'm looking forward to experiencing the food on the Ruby next spring.

Burp...

I can barely make it through the regular dinner. There is no way I can eat that much food! When I was young I'd order things like a 22 oz. Porterhouse with everything and scarf it all down. These days I avoid the specialty restaurants as I can't finish the regular dinner even when I order the smallest steak. I miss being able to eat like I used to but I don't burn the calories I used to burn and would end up as a huge blimp if I was still eating that way. I do love food but hate wasting it by ordering more than I can eat. It was kind of amazing on our last cruise to watch one of our dinner mates ordering double entrees on some nights and eating it all. He was maybe 10 or 15 years older than me and not porky. He must have a very different metabolism from mine. (Maybe he also exercises much more...)

As for those who urge me to try the eastern Canadian lobster... Someday. We had a fantastic trip through western Canada (Alberta, British Columbia, and Yukon) last summer. One of these days we will make it to the east coast of the US and Canada. We definitely look forward to it - and not only for the lobster. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had the prawns with the lobster on both the Sun and the Diamond Princess this month, so it's not on all ships yet.

Burp...

I can barely make it through the regular dinner. There is no way I can eat that much food! When I was young I'd order things like a 22 oz. Porterhouse with everything and scarf it all down. These days I avoid the specialty restaurants as I can't finish the regular dinner even when I order the smallest steak. I miss being able to eat like I used to but I don't burn the calories I used to burn and would end up as a huge blimp if I was still eating that way. I do love food but hate wasting it by ordering more than I can eat. It was kind of amazing on our last cruise to watch one of our dinner mates ordering double entrees on some nights and eating it all. He was maybe 10 or 15 years older than me and not porky. He must have a very different metabolism from mine. (Maybe he also exercises much more...)

As for those who urge me to try the eastern Canadian lobster... Someday. We had a fantastic trip through western Canada (Alberta, British Columbia, and Yukon) last summer. One of these days we will make it to the east coast of the US and Canada. We definitely look forward to it - and not only for the lobster. :D

I don't waste any food! If the food is good I clear all my plates and with rare exception it usually all good. I have to say serving tiny lobster tails without butter is pathetic and the person that approved that change should be fired!

Sunny and 85 today...how's the weather in NS while eating your lobster?...;p

Not too bad. The South Shore of NS is much warmer than most of Canada. That said, Heading out of here Tuesday for the Royal, Feb 28-March 10. Lobsters were delish!!!;p;p;p;p

Hi Pam,

Tony

Yes, I remember Jimmy's well. My father used to entertain bus. clients there. I went with my partner about a year before they closed. The Lobster was awful. I felt so bad about all the bragging. The last year Anthony's was open I got the best Baked Stuffed lobster I ever had.(4 times!) The same with the Soft Shell Crab. The last Sunday they were open, the Lobster was exquisite. The "Windsor" chair I was in, however, completely fell apart! They really kept up the food till the end. The furniture..Not so much!