Backpack for excursions

thehams

Hi everyone. I'm looking for backpack recommendations that I can use for our excursions. Previously I used my Kipling travel purse, but this time around our 5yr old is coming with and we need a little more room for things. So I'm looking for a recommendations.

We need one big enough to hold a towel or two, some small items and a water bottle. Please share the ones you love that are cute, can fit a number of items (but not too big), that is comfortable to wear and maybe even waterproof.

Hi everyone. I'm looking for backpack recommendations that I can use for our excursions. Previously I used my Kipling travel purse, but this time around our 5yr old is coming with and we need a little more room for things. So I'm looking for a recommendations.

We need one big enough to hold a towel or two, some small items and a water bottle. Please share the ones you love that are cute, can fit a number of items (but not too big), that is comfortable to wear and maybe even waterproof.

I wouldn't worry about recommendations. "Good" backpacks can be relatively heavy because of their quality construction. You don't need quality for this purpose.

For the last 10 years or so, we have been using a cheap promotional giveaway bag for our excursions. It easily holds shoes, jacket, rain ponchos, towels, waterbottles, sunscreen, etc. Best of all, no one would ever steal it and if they did, it would not be a major loss. It takes up very little room in a suitcase when folded flat. (Although black, it has a bit of green writing on it that makes it easily identifiable) Our better quality backpacks are just "too much" for light day excursions.

Go to any store that sells a wide selection of backpacks and pick any one that appeals to you. In fact, your five year old may already have one that would suit this purpose just fine. :)

I have a super lightweight (and cheap) backpack I picked up at IKEA we use as a daybag for travel. Not at all comfortable to carry a lot of weight for very long, but to carry a windbreaker, water bottle & other shopping bags - perfect. I've seen this sort of bag at Marshalls/TJ Maxx as well. I had been looking at Le SportSac options but decided I didn't want to spend that much money on something I knew I wouldn't use often (as opposed to LeSportsac purses or duffel bags, which I travel with constantly:D)

I'm far more likely to carry my nylon crossbody purse with a couple of shopping bags stuffed in http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80330493/ but I'm not going on beach excursions in the Caribbean so my needs are probably different.

For waterproof - depending on what you need to waterproof- you could use a ziploc or a dry bag (check Sierra Trading Post) inside whatever you use as a day pack. I have a waterproof camera but like a ziploc for my phone if it's going to rain. I also have a waterproof case for my kindle (from Amazon) We have a bunch of dry bags (various sizes) from sailing trips so I try to remember to throw one in if the weather looks wet...

Edited by Hoyaheel

My husband and I like to bring two bags for island stops: One tote bag, which I use as my carry-on, and one backpack, which he uses as his carry-on. That way we're set for a beach trip or any other type of excursion ... and on any given excursion, we only take one bag -- and we share it. What backpack does he bring? He has several, none of them special, and he brings whichever suits his fancy.

I notice from your post that you live in California. So do I!:D I shop a lot at TJ Maxx and they carry many different styles and brands of backpacks. They also have a great variety of styles of the Baggalini brand which I personally love. Prices are very modest compared to what you'd pay for a Baggalini item on the internet. I recently bought a really nice backpack there for $20. It has lots of outside compartments for carrying items like water bottles and your cellphone within easy reach. It's very very roomy on the inside. It's faux leather and I've already traveled with it several times so it's proven to be sturdy as well. My DH and DS (21) love it and would have had me get them one but it has a couple of pyramid-shaped studs on the handle at the top that they considered too feminine for them. LOL! Otherwise they both love it.

I prefer Timbuk2 bags, they have many lightweight styles, hold alot and will last forever. That said, you may just need a gear bag which is basically a plain bag with straps or strings to wear like a backpack. The ones i have were promotional items given away by stores like Sketchers or schools. Perfect for just carrying bottles of water and a towel. And small enough for your child to carry an item or two.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Forums mobile app

• 1 year later...

I found a backpack at Costco many years ago, it's small - not a full size and I've washed it and used it on nearly every trip we've taken as a family. In my opinion, a "good" backpack has a few features but mostly comfortable straps! Those string bags do not work for me, they dig into my shoulders. I also try to get a unisex one, so that my husband or boys can carry too! I also look for water-proof or resistant. I'm currently looking for a "perfect" bag for a Europe trip and 12 day cruise! I would like to be able to hold my iPad, maybe a book and necessities that I don't want to have to dig into my carry-on for. But more sophisticated than my typical bag for the beach or the zoo with the kids. I'm searching on eBags now and like several of the Travelon ones.