False advertising/pricing?!

teamflames

We are playing around with the X website (when it works ... btw much better in IE than chrome). We select a cruise and then stateroom and a price is displayed, we select continue and on the very next page it shows the go better options but the cruise price is $200 more even though it says "upgrade for only $0" ????? You don't have the option of selecting the original price!! If you proceed further it even has the gall to tell you the original price was $300 higher and therefore you are saving $200 per cabin even though that "original " price was nowhere to be seen.

This seems highly misleading and deceptive

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

You don't say which cruise or what Country you are from. Assuming it's North America you should see a link titled "I would like to keep my current discount" or perhaps one asking if you want to look for different discounts. When you click on that link it will bring you to pricing without perks which seems to be the pricing that is showing on the first page.

We are playing around with the X website (when it works ... btw much better in IE than chrome). We select a cruise and then stateroom and a price is displayed, we select continue and on the very next page it shows the go better options but the cruise price is $200 more even though it says "upgrade for only $0" ????? You don't have the option of selecting the original price!! If you proceed further it even has the gall to tell you the original price was $300 higher and therefore you are saving $200 per cabin even though that "original " price was nowhere to be seen.

Unfortunately, this happens way too many times. i feel your pain, as I am dealing with then on a huge reduction due to my actual final payment date. If you are able to take a screen shot, that may help. i always find that even with evidence, one still has to fight to get things corrected. Then, it depends on the person you get on the phone. You can always hang up and call again/get your TA involved...good luck! I realize you may not have a TA, as you are just at the very beginning of the booking process.

Edited by Lastdance

You don't say which cruise or what Country you are from. Assuming it's North America you should see a link titled "I would like to keep my current discount" or perhaps one asking if you want to look for different discounts. When you click on that link it will bring you to pricing without perks which seems to be the pricing that is showing on the first page.

Hi Rick,

We are Australians but overseas so we are directed to the US website. I managed to replicate what you said and can see the advertised rate without perks, so that is reasonable.

I still can't see how increasing the fare and then saying you can "upgrade" free is conscionable.

Also not sure how simply quoting an original price out of thin air is proof you are saving.

Another interesting thing we noticed is that the extra taxes and fees are different when pricing the exact same cruise, cabin and offer with a TA (higher) than with X?

I've noticed the same thing when I was considering switching to a Sky suite. I suspect that the first price you're seeing is the price for the lowest category for that type of stateroom. So while I was at first seeing the price for an S2 suite, when I clicked through the price jumped to the price of an S1 which is what they had available.

More a case of bad website design rather than false advertising. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by cdn_tbird

We were given the opportunity to book a cruise with 3 perks plus 1/2 off second passenger if booked before a certain date so I went on the Celebrity website and found a cruise that worked well for us and called our TA and had her book this cruise . I had printed the page from the Celebrity website with the pricing on it assuming that my 1/2 off second passenger would be on the website price. When I received my invoice from my TA the cost of the cruise was WAY over the price on my printed page. Needless to say I marched right down to my TA's office and after much discussion I was informed that it was not dishonest and unethical as I thought it was - it was good marketing on their part and well within "good marketing" to highly inflate their prices to cover the perks that they offer.

We were given the opportunity to book a cruise with 3 perks plus 1/2 off second passenger if booked before a certain date so I went on the Celebrity website and found a cruise that worked well for us and called our TA and had her book this cruise . I had printed the page from the Celebrity website with the pricing on it assuming that my 1/2 off second passenger would be on the website price. When I received my invoice from my TA the cost of the cruise was WAY over the price on my printed page. Needless to say I marched right down to my TA's office and after much discussion I was informed that it was not dishonest and unethical as I thought it was - it was good marketing on their part and well within "good marketing" to highly inflate their prices to cover the perks that they offer.

The perks aren't free- cheaper than if you booked the barebones price and then paid for the perks. But as the old saying goes "there are no free lunches".

The perks aren't free- cheaper than if you booked the barebones price and then paid for the perks. But as the old saying goes "there are no free lunches".

I completely agree with this but when you select a price eg $1,249 and then on the next page it still shows this price and below it shows 2 perks to upgrade for $0 but then below that adds $200 to the selected fare that is straight out lying!

The upgrade was not $0.

Not always.

For example, on a cruise I am booked on later this year. You can book it today with two perks at one price and with four perks at a higher price. To be specific:

case a) with two perks (classic beverage package and tips) at one price

case b) adding internet and OBC worth a total of $432 for $540 more than booking with only two perks.

I would hardly call paying $108/person more being cheaper.

I agree! The to book all 4 perks is not normally a good value. By barebones I meant the price with no perks; which is available but not easy to find on the website. The Go Big price if one selects the Beverage package is generally a savings over the barebones price and purchasing the beverage package. Beyond that it is a numbers game, and the edge goes to X.

Call me old fashioned, but if you call something free, you shouldn't be able to charge a couple of hundred dollars for it. That's not good marketing IMO and it's certainly not bad website programming. It's bait and switch.

Call me old fashioned, but if you call something free, you shouldn't be able to charge a couple of hundred dollars for it. That's not good marketing IMO and it's certainly not bad website programming. It's bait and switch.

Thanks, exactly how I feel trying to use the website.

I wasn't implying what the OP was experiencing was bad website design, simply providing a possible explanation based on what I was seeing.

Having done more than my fair share of programming for a living, I can assure you that it's much simpler to query a static price list than it is to query a live inventory database to find out what cabin categories are available for each cruise in the search result and then what the cheapest cabins for each cruise are going for.

Easier to let the customer pick a cruise first and then hit the inventory database once not multiple times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by cdn_tbird

I wasn't implying what the OP was experiencing was bad website design, simply providing a possible explanation based on what I was seeing.

Having done more than my fair share of programming for a living, I can assure you that it's much simpler to query a static price list than it is to query a live inventory database to find out what cabin categories are available for each cruise in the search result and then what the cheapest cabins for each cruise are going for.

Easier to let the customer pick a cruise first and then hit the inventory database once not multiple times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to be a programmer too so I completely understand what you're saying and I know that Celebrities website is horrible, but I doubt that's what is going on in this case.

We were just on board the Eclipse and there were 3 of us sitting and looking at potential future cruises - each with our own tablet connected to the internet. In more than one case we each had different prices display for the same cruise - same cabin class, same dates, etc. The differences were between $50 and $200 each time it happened (some sailings did match exactly)

We finally went to the future cruise staff and asked about the variance in pricing and were told "you can't reply on the website to be accurate" and they offered to print out "correct pricing"

I like many things about Celebrity, but their website isn't one of them. It's in need of a complete overhaul.

Edited by WestCoastFlyer

Even more "interesting " is when you get a breakdown of your cruise total gratuities are being added despite selecting prepaid gratuities as a perk!

They certainly do take liberties with the word "perks". As someone else mentioned none of the so-called "perks" are free.

We've got the go best package for our cruise so unless DW goes overboard and spends more than our OBC, our bill had better be a total of $0.00. Really don't care how they write it up.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Edited by cdn_tbird

Even more "interesting " is when you get a breakdown of your cruise total gratuities are being added despite selecting prepaid gratuities as a perk!

The same happens with the beverage package and Internet promotions. There will be a corresponding negative offset charge added to the booking for the perk, thus making it free. Sometimes the addition of the offset can take 7-10 days to post and show on an invoice.

• 1 year later...

Hi -- When you see this on the Celebrity web page,what would you think?

pricing.jpg

cabinprice.JPG

then the total --

pricing.JPG

I was able to get an agent at Celebrity to explain this to me. The two items in the image directly above here had nothing to do with each other. I had foolishly assumed that they were part of the same offer. Two free perks were ONE thing, or the starting price was something completely different. The same with the top picture.

The banner and the price directly below it were not related -- go figure! The super-low California resident rate was at the bottom, and the free perks were just a different idea.

You can have a hamburger with free lettuce and tomato for $1 -- only the bill is $2 - you can get the discounted hamburger for a $1 -- just like we said, only no lettuce and tomato. But, the $2 hamburger has free lettuce and tomato.

See you on my next Princess Cruise!

Edited by CaliforniaDon
error in cabin selection

Not always.

For example, on a cruise I am booked on later this year. You can book it today with two perks at one price and with four perks at a higher price. To be specific:

case a) with two perks (classic beverage package and tips) at one price

case b) adding internet and OBC worth a total of $432 for $540 more than booking with only two perks.

I would hardly call paying $108/person more being cheaper.

You failed to include the upgrade to Premium with the 4 perks - which on your 12 night cruise would cost $141.60 thus paying $33.60 less!

pricing.jpg

cabinprice.JPG

then the total --

pricing.JPG

I was able to get an agent at Celebrity to explain this to me. The two items in the image directly above here had nothing to do with each other. I had foolishly assumed that they were part of the same offer. Two free perks were ONE thing, or the starting price was something completely different. The same with the top picture.

The banner and the price directly below it were not related -- go figure! The super-low California resident rate was at the bottom, and the free perks were just a different idea.

You can have a hamburger with free lettuce and tomato for $1 -- only the bill is $2 - you can get the discounted hamburger for a $1 -- just like we said, only no lettuce and tomato. But, the $2 hamburger has free lettuce and tomato.

I think people get confused when they see the different banners that advertise the current promo and also say free. The rate says STARTING FROM which is the key. They always advertise the discounted, bare bones rate that goes up from there depending on which cabin your choose and if you choose any of the perks. Also, taxes and port fees are always calculated on the last page of the booking too.

There are times, when the banners are legit, that your cruise fare is coming with the promo and perks since there isn't a discounted rate for that sailing yet.

It seems deceptive and misleading which it is but it's marketing. It's all in the little word that says "starting from". That's where they get you and from a legaltiy standpoint, Celebrity isn't doing anything wrong.

pricing.jpg

cabinprice.JPG

then the total --

pricing.JPG

Ok, I will briefly share what happened to me yesterday that is similar to this. I tried changing my stateroom from inside to veranda and got all the way to "pay now" and couldn't. Luckily I did it on my phone and took screenshots of each step. Called Celebrity. They said I couldn't get that great price because it was only for new bookings. The price to upgrade was $50 a person and Celebrity told me it was $150 a person. Wrong. I explained over and over that I had proof and the woman just wouldn't listen to my explanations. I hung up and tried again (since I was at work and really shouldn't be booking or changing cruises at work). The gentleman I talked to said that the pricing I had was not the same as his and they could not upgrade me for $50 a person. I said give me your email and I will send you what I have. he did and I sent the emails. THEN he emails me saying even though it's pretty clear what the price I have is there, I can't get the upgrade - drumroll - ITS FOR NEW BOOKINGS. By this point I was thinking, am I the only one who understands this. I emailed back and said - IF ITS AVAILABLE THROUGH MY CURRENT RESERVATION THEN THE PRICE IS NOT FOR NEW BOOKINGS! IT IS ASKING IF I WANT TO CHANGE MY STATEROOM AND HERE IS THE PRICE IF YOU WANT TO CHANGE!!! Luckily, they did change it and gave me the $50/person price. Sorry, I know I said I would be brief but I wanted to point out that 1. emails work and 2. get screenshots of everything.

I'm looking at the banner in the posts above (I don't want to include them here - they are taking up space :) ) and I see '+' signs. In my mind, those 'plus' signs mean you add them together. But what I am reading is that they are mutually exclusive.

If there is deception... then IMO, that's where it is. I would EXPECT ALL of the perks because of the plus signs... $25. deposit PLUS 50% off friends and family PLUS savings up to $300 PLUS free drinks and unlimited Wifi.

I like the hamburger analogy...helps to put pricing in perspective. I looked at that exact booking and price but at the end of booking it had increased. And in Canadian $$s it was substantial.