Silver Spirits Drinks Package.

English Voyager

I have booked a cruise for 2018, and part of the promotion was a free upgrade to the Silver Spirits Drinks package.

How does this operate on board.

I am thinking particularly of wines accompanying lunch or dinner-- how is one identified as being entitled to an enhanced choice?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

You say you have it and give them your cabin number. For wine, they give you a menu of three whites and three reds.

Thank you for the information.

Is the wine steward knowledgeable enough to give advice on the selection, or does one have to seek advice from a sommelier?

I presume that the selection changes daily.

The choice changed twice during our recent 10 day West Indies Explorer cruise. If you are not sure what you would like, they are very happy to provide a tasting, along with the "included wine". We found you quickly found your preferred white or red. They are listed on a small wine menu placed on each table. They are priced at $6.5 if you are not on the package.

There is no need to state that you are on the package, just give them your cabin number when you order and their system takes care of the rest. This applies to other bars as well. In addition, if you eat in the Chefs Table, they already know that you are on the drinks package and automatically give you the premium flight of wines.

• 11 months later...

We had bought a silver spirits package but have to admit to being disappointed. There just isn't any clear answer even on the ship about what is included and what not. And the selection, depending on which server we deal with, gets very very limited. At the Italian restaurant we were told it covered only wine that was specifically sold by the glass -- which is rather limited and that we could get 15 percent off a bottle if we bought one only if that bottle cost $50 or less. That seemed a bit more restrictive than we'd like so we have been trying to cancel ever since -- a rather slow process (and I notice that the more expensive bottle that we did buy had 15 percent off....). We visited the front desk last night and had to visit it again today -- and still no package cancel. We're not upset but definitely don't find the plan meets what we had thought it would. I rather wish the line had a clear outline about what was in the plan so we could have not bought it in the first place.

I have sailed both with and without the Drinks Package. I like the opportunity to choose wine from an extensive list. Yes it is only by the glass, but the bottle is then located at the station near to your table. If you like it your glass is then refilled liberally. Otherwise you can then change your mind and try something different. In addition I liked being able to order cocktails etc when I felt like it, before dinner and during the shows etc. I developed a huge liking for the lemon drop martinis.

I drink very little normally but this was just lovely. I think the package is excellent.

We too have had the package as part of a promotion and have enjoyed it very much. As has already been said the only places you have to tell them you are in it are the restaurants otherwise everything happens automatically. Upgraded wines are on offer from the wine waiter in the Chef’s table , from a list in Manfredis and the Restaurant and from the bar in the world Cafe . It is all straightforward. Do not expect knowledgeable sommeliers!! The wine waiters are just part of the regular team - the chefs table sommelier was doing the mini bars during the day!! Also the upgraded wines can typically be found in Majestic in the Uk for about £10 a bottle ! The house wines are about half that price. I hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have sailed both with and without the Drinks Package. I like the opportunity to choose wine from an extensive list. Yes it is only by the glass, but the bottle is then located at the station near to your table. If you like it your glass is then refilled liberally. Otherwise you can then change your mind and try something different. In addition I liked being able to order cocktails etc when I felt like it, before dinner and during the shows etc. I developed a huge liking for the lemon drop martinis.

I drink very little normally but this was just lovely. I think the package is excellent.

We will be purchasing the drink package for the same reasons.

I love a good lemon drop, cosmo, or classic gin martini before going to dinner. :)

We will be purchasing the drink package for the same reasons.

I love a good lemon drop, cosmo, or classic gin martini before going to dinner. :)

We’re getting it so I can have a tropical drink by the pool in the Caribbean [emoji16][emoji484] I know Viking doesn’t do umbrella drinks but I saw plenty to choose from on their beverage menu.

I can do a martini before dinner but I prefer the classic.

We will explore the additional wines at dinner and DH likes a cognac after dinner.

We probably won’t get it for our river cruise in the fall because it’s a different kind of experience and we were happy with the standard wine and beer with meals.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Cyber Kat,

Looking forward to sun, warm weather, and a mojito sitting around the pool on the Viking Sea in another month.

I am so sick of winter , colds, coughs and being chilled since Christmas.

I perfer dry white wine but also a really good red now and then with my meal when I am on vacation.

We bought the pkg but wish we had done more research before doing that. We like wine and are told now that we can't give the package back that there are only three red wines and three whites covered by the silver package. That's just not a lot of variety for someone who likes wine and is on a three week cruise. Perhaps the plan is worth it if you drink a lot of mixed drinks.

We bought the pkg but wish we had done more research before doing that. We like wine and are told now that we can't give the package back that there are only three red wines and three whites covered by the silver package. That's just not a lot of variety for someone who likes wine and is on a three week cruise. Perhaps the plan is worth it if you drink a lot of mixed drinks.

What are the current reds and whites offered in the package? I will be on a 15 day TA cruise next month.

What are the current reds and whites offered in the package? I will be on a 15 day TA cruise next month.

Just returned from 7 wonderful days on the Viking Sky. We had the spirits package. There were three reds and three whites. We typically drank the Allegrini Pinot Grigio at dinner. We did not care for the New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc as it lacked the complexity in flavor one normally tastes in a Kim Crawford wine. The Chardonnay was from California but we are not drinkers of this and did not try. We only tried one red while dining at Manfredi's; it is Sicilian and was quite drinkable. Don't recall the other two reds. The ship ran out of the Pinot Grigio around day six at least in the Restaurant and Aquavit Bar on deck seven. We were disappointed in the lack of variety in the wines by the glass but felt the package was good since we typically drink during non dining hours (beer, scotch, Bailey's.) The process in identifying spirits package holders was really quite seamless and a non issue for me although my husband disliked having to educate servers which wine they should pour.

Edited by offtoalaska
Additional comment

We were on the Viking Star last month and my wife and I had the silver spirits package for drinks. We are both not big drinkers but this is vacation. we enjoyed lemon drop martinis, negronis, mai tais, and mojitos every night before dinner. There are a few more beers available on the list too. We ate twice at Manfredi's and it was nice to have more choices of wine from the list plus limoncello's and grappa's after the meal. There were a few days after our tours we lounged and read by the indoor pool and had an afternoon drink too. We were in cabin 6010 with a complimentary mini bar and never touched any of it. At The Chef's Table we also had their premium wines with dinner. The Torshavn bar opens at 9:00 PM and they have a much better selection of rums and vodkas, the package allows you to have any wine or cocktail up to 15.00. Granted they will not give the table a bottle of wine unless you purchase it but most time the wine was opened in front of us, allowed to taste it and was kept close to the table and the glasses never emptied. Also you received a better stem glass with the package too

grappa.pdf

beer.jpg.aa06d5e3ac3eea01a3fc4e825257f560.jpg

Just returned from 7 wonderful days on the Viking Sky. We had the spirits package. There were three reds and three whites. We typically drank the Allegrini Pinot Grigio at dinner. We did not care for the New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc as it lacked the complexity in flavor one normally tastes in a Kim Crawford wine. The Chardonnay was from California but we are not drinkers of this and did not try. We only tried one red while dining at Manfredi's; it is Sicilian and was quite drinkable. Don't recall the other two reds. The ship ran out of the Pinot Grigio around day six at least in the Restaurant and Aquavit Bar on deck seven. We were disappointed in the lack of variety in the wines by the glass but felt the package was good since we typically drink during non dining hours (beer, scotch, Bailey's.) The process in identifying spirits package holders was really quite seamless and a non issue for me although my husband disliked having to educate servers which wine they should pour.

Thanks so much for your informative post. Look forward to cocktails and other spirits.

I love NZ Savignon Blanc, but not all of them. I lprefer Itailan white wine, favorite is Vernacchia or Orvieto. But a good Grigio is fine.

I will buy myself a bottle of Cava when we get to a Spanish port, like Spanish wines too.

I will try some reds, and the one from Sicly sounds good. Of course,a Brunello is the best for a relaxing evening with good company. I did bring a bottle with me on a previous celebrity cruise, but had to pay a $25.corkage fee to have it with friends at a special dinner. Love that Viking does not do that nonsense.

Fortunately, the "premium" wines by the glass are not that expensive. On one Viking River cruise we were stuck with Malbec 24/7 which my wife did not like. Buying her one or 2 glasses on a red wine dinner night was very reasonable compared to the package which we'd both need to purchase. My occasional Bombay martini was also affordable.

I used to recommend the package to serious wine drinkers, but IF the selection is not that broad or high quality, maybe it's better to go a-la-cart.

Penthouse Veranda guests get their mini-bar stocked with varied liquor mini-bottles every day if they wish.

Hi all,

We leave next month on the Star.. we purchased the SS beverage package.

This was posted in July... was anyone able to get alcohol replenished in their minibar in a cat DV4, as these are the new additions to the package.

Thanks

imagejpeg

imagejpeg

I hope the above attachment prints for u.

I used to work for the importer of Allegrini wines. I like the Pinot Grigio. Sauvignon Blanc is one of my favorites and I’ll be a happy camper if they have a bubbly - especially Prosecco. I often like cheap wines and expensive wines equally.

I think we will probably break even on the package, but we’re looking for a “no worries, mon” 10 days so anything that eases the way is good. [emoji41]

Hi all,

We leave next month on the Star.. we purchased the SS beverage package.

This was posted in July... was anyone able to get alcohol replenished in their minibar in a cat DV4, as these are the new additions to the package.

Thanks

imagejpeg

imagejpeg

I hope the above attachment prints for u.

The images are showing as broken.

The answer I got from the Viking rep in response to an email sent to tellus@vikingcruises.com is that the Silver Spirits package has NO influence on the mini bar. It is as described in the cabin description.

The images are showing as broken.

The answer I got from the Viking rep in response to an email sent to tellus@vikingcruises.com is that the Silver Spirits package has NO influence on the mini bar. It is as described in the cabin description.

I don’t know why I can’t get the attachment to print, but the response was from Viking directly. I will bring a copy onboard.

I don’t know why I can’t get the attachment to print, but the response was from Viking directly. I will bring a copy onboard.

Were you sent the documents you are trying to post from Viking or did you find them on their website site?

I love the Viking experience, but the inconsistencies in their communications are very frustrating. I wish all of their reps and management would get on the same page

I’m okay with the package not covering the mini bars in DV cabins, but if some people are getting this, while others are not - that doesn’t sit well. It should be the same policy for all.

I have noticed that no one from Viking has chimed in on this discussion as they often do.