Princess cruises - cruise card - no more hole punching for lanyard?

NSWP

OK you Princess cruisers, now I hear via the Princess grapevine that the new Princess Cruise Card has a chip in it so you like 'pay wave' it in the ship's shop and 'wave' it at your cabin door. As a result no more holes are to be punched in them, thus you canot proudly display it on your lanyard, as most Aussies currently do, part of the cruise uniform, so to speak.

Now not sure if the above applies to our ancient Princess Fleet here or just to the more modern 'overseas Princess ships.:o Can anybody very recently on Princess in Australia, report thereon? :hearteyes:

There sure will be some disappointed cruisers not being able to 'show the card'., particularly if it is Black for Elite.:mad:

I think the cruise cards are the same as always, they certainly were on Royal in September. However Princess is starting to roll out it's new Ocean Medallion which will replace cruise cards. They have started with Regal and it is a slow roll out. The Medallions can be worn on wrists or as a pendant but I'm not sure if they are colour to indicate status. The only examples I've seen have been blue.

I think the cruise cards are the same as always, they certainly were on Royal in September. However Princess is starting to roll out it's new Ocean Medallion which will replace cruise cards. They have started with Regal and it is a slow roll out. The Medallions can be worn on wrists or as a pendant but I'm not sure if they are colour to indicate status. The only examples I've seen have been blue.

Yes, I have read all about the Medallion and its failures. The North Americans are claiming compo you know.:rolleyes:Advertised as ***** cruise, but it is not.

BTW did you like Royal Princess? As we are on her next June.

OK you Princess cruisers, now I hear via the Princess grapevine that the new Princess Cruise Card has a chip in it so you like 'pay wave' it in the ship's shop and 'wave' it at your cabin door. As a result no more holes are to be punched in them, thus you canot proudly display it on your lanyard, as most Aussies currently do, part of the cruise uniform, so to speak.

I'm not sure why it's too difficult for Princess to use a card that comes pre-punched.:confused:

If P&O can manage it, it can't be that hard.

That sounds the same RFID tech as on the new RCL ships e.g. Ovation which visits here.

BTW, there is a trick to putting a hole in, for those desperate to do it.

Yes, I have read all about the Medallion and its failures. The North Americans are claiming compo you know.:rolleyes:Advertised as ***** cruise, but it is not.

BTW did you like Royal Princess? As we are on her next June.

They have slowed the roll out of the medallions as there are still many teething issues.

There you go folks, Zeta are you giving any discount for CC members?:halo::');p

If I were selling them absolutely. But no, I’m not a vendor I just own a bunch from years of attending tech conferences. Office Depot, Amazon, Walmart all carry them. I actually don’t use a lanyard on a ship even though they do seem to be official cruise wear LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'd find a medallion that could be worn on wrist or as a pendant okay but with the cruise cards I always wore them on a lanyard and so they needed a hole. I couldn't care less about displaying them as such. My concern is not losing them. It's not as if most people on a cruise walk around with a handbag, so if you haven't a pocket (and a lot of women's clothing won't have one) where do you put them if not on a lanyard?

I'd find a medallion that could be worn on wrist or as a pendant okay but with the cruise cards I always wore them on a lanyard and so they needed a hole. I couldn't care less about displaying them as such. My concern is not losing them. It's not as if most people on a cruise walk around with a handbag, so if you haven't a pocket (and a lot of women's clothing won't have one) where do you put them if not on a lanyard?

We have the pouch on the lanyard so easy to use.

I have never worn a lanyard ever on a cruise ship with my cruise card around my neck. I would rather not look like a sheep and follow a trend but would rather be myself.

Princess is going towards the medallion system so soon there will not be those plastic cards anyway and people can wear it around their wrist like a wristwatch if you have seen the adverts Princess are pushing out for it.

Perhaps because some people, like us, prefer it unpunched?

I swear if Princess Cruises puts a hole in my cruise card on the Diamond Princess on the 11th January then I am going straight to reception to ask them to print a new card because I do not like the hole in it.

I swear if Princess Cruises puts a hole in my cruise card on the Diamond Princess on the 11th January then I am going straight to reception to ask them to print a new card because I do not like the hole in it.

But remember the hole is free, you don't get much for free on Princess. No 15% gratuity payable on the hole either. When we boarded Island Princess in Nov last year in San Pedro -LA - doing Panama Canal, the check in chick punched the hole in it.

Now I do believe the new cards are wired up or for the Ocean Medallion, something like that. Hot topic on Princess section of CC.:halo:

But then they might put a hole in it and charge you 15% gratuity on the new card and hole.:rolleyes:

I'm not sure why it's too difficult for Princess to use a card that comes pre-punched.:confused:

If P&O can manage it, it can't be that hard.

Check in were punching them for Island Princess in Nov last year, LA for Panama Canal. No 15% gratuity either. lol.:halo:

Check in were punching them for Island Princess in Nov last year, LA for Panama Canal. No 15% gratuity either. lol.:halo:

The lanyard and punched cruise card is very handy for those promenading the ship in nothing else but ye olde 'Budge Smugglers.' (No pockets you know.):halo::*

But then they might put a hole in it and charge you 15% gratuity on the new card and hole.:rolleyes:

But then again, thou art Elite, so free replacement card and free hole. :hearteyes::')

Is it because you paid for a full card and not one with a hole in it?