Alternative to tripod on cruise ship

The Viking

I have often had problems taking photos of the colorful top decks and pool areas of ships at night. My main issue is the often heavy winds and gusts.

For my last cruise, I purchased a Platypod Ultra with accessories. I attached it firmly to the railing after some practice and was very pleased with the photos compared to handheld and I could keep the ISO low.

It will also work very well in case you want to take time lapse videos and do not want to bring a tripod.

Of course you can not take long exposures with this set up because of ships vibrations.

https://platypod.com/ I think the MXX will be too large to attach to the rounded top of the railings.

Edited by The Viking

• 1 month later...

The gorillapod is your best friend. It can be a tripod or grip pod easily. I love using it for wonky angled ledges or on hand rails. Best $20 bucks you can spend. Get crafty and bend the legs in a wave to provide extra stability.

Or wait for calm seas and winds. I used a tripod on a front facing balcony with strong winds 30+ mph and used it for 10 - 30 second shots at night.

http://www.fastpictureframing.com/ak/sm2l.jpg

I only got a couple with sharp star points. Any ship vertical or horizontal movement showed in the stars. Someday I hope to try this with moonlight on the water.

Only a real solid support could do this.

framer