Flu Virus

DCLCrazy

With all the talk in the news about how bad the flu virus is this year, does anyone know if dcl is taking extra precautions (more frequent cleanings etc) during this season? We will be on the Wonder next week. I’m nervous about close quarters. I know it’ll be warm down there in the southern Caribbean. I’m pretty sure it’s hard for the virus to live in warm areas. (Or is that just an old wives tale?) we caught the flu (or what seemed like it) while in Canada last October. Hopefully that’s it for us. I’m still nervous. [emoji31] Has anyone been on one of the ships lately and noticed an inordinate amount of coughing?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It would be difficult for them to clean more than they normally do, and yet they manage it if there is a noro outbreak. Flu is an airborn virus. You get it when someone coughs or sneezes it into the air. This is MUCH harder to control than an intestinal virus which is spread by hand to mouth contact.

They can't sterilize the air. Your cabin is cleaned and sanitized daily and has a second touch up cleaning in the evening (this is more of a pick up and turn down service, but any obvious stuff is cleaned). Elevators and public restrooms are cleaned hourly. Restaurants are cleaned after each seating. Pools are drained and cleaned nightly. Tables on the pool deck, etc are wiped down regularly.....and all the wipe downs are with anti-viral and anti bacterial cleaners.

Flu is most likely to come onto the ship via guests. It has a several day incubation period, so people can pick it up at the last minute shopping trip, on the plane, etc. and not feel sick when they board...but they'll be sharing it with you. Want to decrease your risk? Wear a surgical mask with a filter in it. Everywhere. All the time. That will make you less likely to inhale someone's airborn droplets.

Bottom line...you'll get sick or you won't. You could get sick at home or on the ship. You'll cruise and take your chances or you won't. Worrying won't help.

as already said, flu is airborne....there is very little you can do...

although being careful about washing your hands etc, won't hurt...

if you're flying to your cruise, that closed space on the airplane is an even bigger risk than a cruise ship...

yes, the flu this year is very bad....i caught it 3 weeks ago (don't worry, you can't catch it on the forum :D )

haven't ever felt that sick...

i still haven't completely recovered....

a friend who's a doctor said his hospital is completely full of flu patients and from what he's seeing it takes from 2 to 4 weeks - and most likely closer to 4...

if you've already had flu this season and it was the worst strain flu (forgot the numbers but h whatever n whatever), then you won't catch it again...although of course, there are other strains of flu out there that you can contract...though they're not as bad as the bad bad one this year...

bottom line, you can't live in a box....you're just as likely to catch it at home just by going shopping for groceries....

there is a lot of flu out there....you'll either catch it or you won't....

that said, if someone near you starts coughing - walk away from him/her.....better to be rude than at risk...

and the flu this year is accompanied by a very bad cough....so again, if someone near you is coughing put as much distance from him/her as you can....

i caught it from my daughter from all her coughing....she claimed she was covering her mouth, but it's impossible to really cover your cough sufficiently...

and then hubbie caught it from me for the same reason..

so be rude and turn around and walk far far away!!!!!

as already said, flu is airborne....there is very little you can do...

although being careful about washing your hands etc, won't hurt...

if you're flying to your cruise, that closed space on the airplane is an even bigger risk than a cruise ship...

yes, the flu this year is very bad....i caught it 3 weeks ago (don't worry, you can't catch it on the forum :D )

haven't ever felt that sick...

i still haven't completely recovered....

a friend who's a doctor said his hospital is completely full of flu patients and from what he's seeing it takes from 2 to 4 weeks - and most likely closer to 4...

if you've already had flu this season and it was the worst strain flu (forgot the numbers but h whatever n whatever), then you won't catch it again...although of course, there are other strains of flu out there that you can contract...though they're not as bad as the bad bad one this year...

bottom line, you can't live in a box....you're just as likely to catch it at home just by going shopping for groceries....

there is a lot of flu out there....you'll either catch it or you won't....

that said, if someone near you starts coughing - walk away from him/her.....better to be rude than at risk...

and the flu this year is accompanied by a very bad cough....so again, if someone near you is coughing put as much distance from him/her as you can....

i caught it from my daughter from all her coughing....she claimed she was covering her mouth, but it's impossible to really cover your cough sufficiently...

and then hubbie caught it from me for the same reason..

so be rude and turn around and walk far far away!!!!!

Both my daughter and i got what seemed like the flu. High fever and lingering cough. No vomit though. We got it on our Canadian ncl Cruise this past October. So maybe i don’t have to worry.

Edited by DCLCrazy

Both my daughter and i got what seemed like the flu. High fever and lingering cough. No vomit though. We got it on our Canadian ncl Cruise this past October. So maybe i don’t have to worry.

There are multiple flu strains which render "wishful thinking" useless as a deterrent.

As for the ship doing extra, that wouldn't really help unless we all stop breathing:

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/influenza-might-spread-air-study-finds-n839166

We will also be on the Wonder next week. We were on the Fantasy at Christmas and my pet peeve was folks who don’t cover their mouths when they sneeze and cough. I did not get the flu, but had a terrible upper respiratory issue when we got back. It took a week or so, and a Z-pack, to work its way through my system.

I am just fine now, but am loading up on vitamin C (using Emergen-C) prior to this next cruise. I will also wash my hands regularly, and cover my mouth should I cough or sneeze. My wife always does the Emergen-C before and during the cruise, and she has not gotten sick. My doctor seemed to think it makes sense. Some posters think it is a scam, but our experience has been positive.

None of this seems to prohibit a flu that can come on from just breathing. We got our flu shots early, and understand they are not so great this year. I won’t wear a mask; we will just exercise good health and hygiene habits and encourage our fellow ship mates to do the same.

We also feel DCL does an excellent job keeping the ships very clean.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We will also be on the Wonder next week. We were on the Fantasy at Christmas and my pet peeve was folks who don’t cover their mouths when they sneeze and cough. I did not get the flu, but had a terrible upper respiratory issue when we got back. It took a week or so, and a Z-pack, to work its way through my system.

I am just fine now, but am loading up on vitamin C (using Emergen-C) prior to this next cruise. I will also wash my hands regularly, and cover my mouth should I cough or sneeze. My wife always does the Emergen-C before and during the cruise, and she has not gotten sick. My doctor seemed to think it makes sense. Some posters think it is a scam, but our experience has been positive.

None of this seems to prohibit a flu that can come on from just breathing. We got our flu shots early, and understand they are not so great this year. I won’t wear a mask; we will just exercise good health and hygiene habits and encourage our fellow ship mates to do the same.

I’ve been loading up on the emergenC as well. Its the first time I’ve taken it regularly. We will see how it works.

vitamin C can't hurt....and if it helps, great..

the flu shot this year was supposedly only 10% effective....it's against four different strains of flu, but apparently they really missed the worst of the bunch....it's all a guessing game when they're making up the new vaccine each year....they simply guessed wrong this year....

but even that 10% is better than nothing......and who's to say that i wouldn't have been worse had i not gotten the vaccine...although i can't imagine feeling worse (five days of high fever, and three weeks of coughing - so far)...

• 2 weeks later...

Leaving on a cruise this Sunday, and of course my son (not booked to cruise) swabs positive this week for flu! I kid you not, I’m wearing a mask at all times while in the house, and I’m making him wear a mask when he’s out of his room. And my partner and I are chewing our Airborne immune boosters like mints. Fingers crossed! (At lease there will be no chance of us acquiring scurvy while at sea!) Lol:D

The 10% effective number is from Australia who is now having summer and their flu season is well over. The US is see much better effectiveness. Efficacy rate for US has yet to be published. I hope everyone wasting money on Emergen-C (which is just snake oil that does nothing) have vaccinated themselves and their families. Virtually all deaths this year (and every year) occurred in the unvaccinated.

Sent from my HTC U Ultra using Tapatalk

OP here and I’m back from my cruise. It was wonderful and no one in my party got even the slightest tickle in their throat much less the flu. Yay! I saw very few people who were openly sick, which was nice and Disney does a nice job keeping the ship clean.