Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS100: Anyone with hands-on experience?

Bella0714

My wife and I are going to Alaska this summer and are looking to upgrade our camera, which won't be difficult since we have a Nikon CoolPix S8100. After much research, I've gotten it down to one camera: the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS100, a compact camera with a 1" sensor and range of 25mm-250mm. We decided against a super-zoom because we feel we would often be reluctant to carry it around. So, if we want a compact camera with a 1" sensor and good zoom range, the Panasonic is the only thing out there.

But I'm still reluctant to pull the plug because although most (but not all) expert reviews are positive, all of them note that the maximum aperture quickly drops off at 100mm and is 5.9 at 250mm. I know that's the trade-off with a compact camera, but does that put it on par with cheaper compacts at zoom range? Basically, can I expect the Panasonic to be better than a compact camera with a smaller sensor at lower focal lengths but not much better, if any better, at longer focal lengths?

In Alaska, we'll be going on several small-boat day cruises as well as to Denali and Katmai. But we do travel a lot, so this won't be the only time we'll use the camera.

Thanks,

Dave

• 2 months later...