Fighting thar urge to get a new camera body

framer

My 2nd body it pushing 9 YO. It;s a Nikon D3s a great camera for somethings but not cruise/travel friendly. I'm currently using a Nikon D810 for 80-90% of my photography. I considering a D500 or the new D850. On odd days it's the D500 on even days it's the D850. The D500 would work but it's also dated. The newest one is the D850 but the $$$$ one. Keep telling myself I really don't need it but that 'want' keeps banging away at me...

We see what next week brings.

framer

My wife and I take a lot of cameras when we cruise. Usually 5 to Alaska and 3 to Mexico. My "rule" is that I won't take more than two kinds of chargers/batteries. Right now, we're holding steady within that rule...

My guess is that mirrorless is about to turn the corner. I'd hold out for another year or two. Something new always pops up. With an 810, that's new enough to wait another year or two. Nikon's mirrorless, upcoming Sony A7 III variations, etc. I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on mirrorless, but not yet.

I picked up a D500 last summer on sale and it included a grip. I had been using a D750 as my primary and was surprised at the how much faster the D500 obtained focus. I was out waiting for an eagle to take off last week and was easily able to fire off 30 RAW shots without interruption.

I do a lot of birding/wildlife so the extra reach with the D500 is great. The D750 is used mostly for landscapes and interiors now. It’s a great combo. Although I’d love the D850 my spousal leash isn’t that long. I keep reminding myself that it’s not the camera that takes the great shot.

Wouldn’t it be nice to have some diversity in your quiver? DX & FX.

Wouldn’t it be nice to have some diversity in your quiver? DX & FX.

Hmmm, that's a very good point. I still think the 810 is quite good (we've sort of hit that "they're all so amazing" point). For a 2nd body, a DX for the increased distance might be a great idea.

Back and forth I go. This morning I was leaning toward the figuring a way to swing a D850 but after some study I'm back to a D500. If I get the D500 I could keep my D3s. When it comes to low light and fast the D3s can still get a great image. What the D3s lacks is that fine small detail because the the 12MB resolution. I'm seriously considering the D500 as a 2nd carry in wildlife setting w/ a Nikkor 300mm F4 AFS which I already own. It should do similar to the quality I get with my D3s w/Nikkor 400mm 2.8 at 1/3 the weight. Plus can you imagine the quality of the D500 w/that 400mm combo if I need it.

Still thinking...

framer

I have the D7200 and D810 after reading, watching reviews etc. decided to upgrade to D850. I now know why it was selected for camera of the year. Simply put it is amazing loves low light. Most say the for wildlife shooting the D500 is better because you do not need the to buy a battery grip to get the higher FPS. If you are like me (getting a little OLD, sorry for the three letter word of profanity) the grip gives you more stability and you can shoot better vertical shots, especially with a 200-500 lens ( a beast) mounted on it. I have grips for all my cameras so to me the added expense was the battery and charger to get the extra FPS, still thinking on that and wondering if anyone has experience with third party chargers? I will as they say let the pictures do the talking.

D850 w/200-500 5.6VR (hand held) 1/4000sec, 500mm, f10, ISO6400

26062265488_7557858eb0_k.jpgD850 Trial_2017_1761.jpg

D850 w/28-70 2.8 VR (hand held) 1/640sec,70mm, f2.8, ISO1250

28155064549_4433c19439_z.jpgD850 trials_2018_1975.jpg

Thanks! I forgot there is another down side to get one you have to be patient, very patient because you cannot just go; ‘oh now I want one’ and go get it or punch up B&H or one of the other big camera houses and get it. The demand is so great, you have to go on a waiting list. I was on B&H and Adorama for a month, then someone suggested trying a local camera store within two weeks had one, would have it sooner if the power had not gone out in Atlanta airport. The grip took another 6 weeks to come in, order was placed same time as camera everywhere, once again to the local dealer first. But good things come to those who wait, which has been my life’s motto.

I just went to nikon school and both teachers said that they travel with one DX body for distance and one FX body for wide shots. I'd suggest a 7000 series instead. And it's a bit cheaper :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just went to nikon school and both teachers said that they travel with one DX body for distance and one FX body for wide shots. I'd suggest a 7000 series instead. And it's a bit cheaper :)

I've been there, and hated it. Great if you're going with two cameras and two lenses, but unless both lenses are FX compatible, you're in trouble if the DX body dies for any reason. Now, go with 3+ lenses, and this all breaks down. Let's say 16-35 on FX and 70-200 on DX. Now you decide to use a 50/1.2, so you put it on FX. Oops, now you want wide angle, so you have to switch FX to 16-35 and DX to 50, but now the 50 behaves like a 75. I don't know how many times my wife shot with a 16-35 on (Canon EF-S) and 24-105 on (Canon FF), and I just stood there thinking "WHY?".

We're now all-FF except one ancient 1.3x crop body that was my first and I can't let it get sold, but it never gets used anyway.

Well it's bought. I was still going back and forth then today was shown a LN D500 in box and paid $1400.00. If It not what I want after the AK trip I'll sell it and should not be out much. That only 40% of what a D850 would have cost. I may keep the D3s as the D3s D500 combo would be great when I do sports.

framer

I've been reading this since I got back from our cruise and it is so similar to my struggle to stick with APS-C. There's a little guy with a pitchfork sitting on my shoulder whispering about all the A7rIII reviews and his haloed counterpart on the other shoulder isn't doing his job worth a damn.

Keep this thread going and update it with your dual format/single mount evaluation.

Thanks.

Dave

My 2nd body it pushing 9 YO. It;s a Nikon D3s a great camera for somethings but not cruise/travel friendly. I'm currently using a Nikon D810 for 80-90% of my photography. I considering a D500 or the new D850. On odd days it's the D500 on even days it's the D850. The D500 would work but it's also dated. The newest one is the D850 but the $$$$ one. Keep telling myself I really don't need it but that 'want' keeps banging away at me...

We see what next week brings.

framer

I've got the D810 and I absolutely LOVE the damned thing! The thing that I have been noticing (for the last 10 years or so) is that Nikon and Canon are continually bringing out new bodies that (seemingly) do, the same things. And, for a guy (like me) that only uses manual mode - I have to ask myself do I actual NEED an upgrade every 3-4 months?

But, that having been said - I STILL have the F2AS somewhere in the back of my closet.... :D

But, that having been said - I STILL have the F2AS somewhere in the back of my closet.... :D

I got that beat... I still got a Nikon64 if you know what is. Nikon F with plain prism and a 1st year serial number starts with 64. Loved the F2A and F2AS had both. Still have the F4s. Still have and use three old manual lenses from the 70's 16mm AI'd f/3.5, 15mm AIs f/3.5 and a 28mm f/2.8 Ais. Use them on the D810 from time to time. All three from my F2 days.

I really feel I will have a 2nd hi-performance body that should work nice to complement the D810. The D3s just misses that fine detail you want in landscapes and wildlife images. The D500 should excel at BIF and whale watching excursions.

framer

Framer

I will also be going to Alaska in May 23 on the Coral for a B2B. When are you going? I will be taking a D7200, D810 and D850. On the whale watch (Harv and Marv)was thinking using the 200-500 on the D850 (9fps) and the 70-200 on the D810 or a 24-70. Any suggestions?

Framer

I will also be going to Alaska in May 23 on the Coral for a B2B. When are you going? I will be taking a D7200, D810 and D850. On the whale watch (Harv and Marv)was thinking using the 200-500 on the D850 (9fps) and the 70-200 on the D810 or a 24-70. Any suggestions?

Don't you usually get pretty close to the whales? I'm thinking 70-200 on the D850 and 24-70 on the D810 in case you need to pan out and try and catch a flying bird or something. But keep the 200-500 in the bag in case you get advanced warning of something far away.

Best lens would be the 200-500 w/no converter. I've used the 70-200 on the D810 it's IMHO a little light with few exceptions for whale watching. I've also used the a 400 f/2.8 but it was a beast to handle in a rocking boat, other issue a whale started breaching and it was hard to get it on target fast enough. Being able to scan the water at ~300 and zoom to 400-500 when needed would have been nice. Plus that lens has killer VR so depending on light might come into play.

framer

Framer

Done H&M all three times to AK. I'm on the May 26th Ruby. 200-500 on one and the 70-200 on the other. Don't forget about taking a few of the folks with you. Take that 24-70 with you for those shots.

Say Hi to Capt Steve if you go with him.

A sample from the 400 of a spinning breach. It a crop from a FF taken with the D3s. This is why I'm recommending the 200-500 because you are more likely to be far away.

a-spinner.jpg

framer

Great shot of the whale! Thanks for the advice, I am really looking forward to this trip. We have been 11 times to Hawaii, a month each time, saw whales 3 times from the cliff over looking the ocean, just spouts, no tails or breaches. Gone to the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta 2 twice, scheduled each time to go up in a balloon, day before our ride weather is great, wind wrong direction, canceled 2 twice. So we are doing a B2B to get two shots at at least seeing one whale. The prize will be getting the photo I maybe too stunned to push the button on the shutter my luck.

As to getting the background shots and video I have, I am sorry to say a Canon G7 Mark II, I bleed black and yellow and have since the F2 with motor drive (loved the sound that made).