NIkon Lens Help!

nyyhoneybee

I dunno how hard that budget line is, but I'd look for a wider angle range. With a DX, that 35mm puts you at more of a 50mm range. You're well covered with the 55-200mm for zoom, so I'd look at something at the extreme on the other end.

Something along the lines of these two:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072639587/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003A6NU3U/

Otherwise, bring what you got.

I travel with 3 lenses. A 18-300 (hoping to upgrade to 18-400), a 30mm F1.4 and a 8-16 rectilinear lens from sigma. I recommend them all, but the big zoom is out of your budget, and I agree that the wide angle would be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually ignore my post, I thought the 8-16 was cheaper than it is. Go with what codex57 recommends, they're a lot closer to your budget (unless you want to rent). The only reason I still haul around my dslr is for the stunning wide angle shots. For zoom, the point and shoots can get the same range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've narrowed my carry down to 2 base lenses plus 2 situational lenses. I now travel with a Sigma Art 18-105 and a Tamron 18-400. Situational are my Tamron 150-600 (wildlife) and Sigma 12-18 (Landscape). I would consider renting the 18-400, its the one that stays on my camera most of the time (the Sigma is more for staged shots an lower lighting). It is worth noting that I also carry a Sony A6000 with the 18-55 kit lens on me at all times, and for places like Alaska I will dual body). But for the Med and related ports you want something with a good wide base and the ability to zoom in for detail.

I couldn't survive without a "normal" zoom lens, 18ish-XX, especially inside a ship. Did your D3300 not come with an 18-55 kit lens ( I didn't think you could get one without it)?

I have the 18-55 but I don't touch it much. My go to is my 35mm so I'm thinking maybe I can get away without bringing it? I don't know if I really want to bring 3-4 lens for the ports.

I used the 24-120 f4 on my Med cruise in 2016. (16-80 crop equiv) and never felt the need for anything longer. The only thing I wish I had was something a bit wider. The 20mm f1.8 for indoor church shots might have been perfect. Yes, I'm using a FF body, but you can do the math for a crop body equivalent.

I used the 24-120 f4 on my Med cruise in 2016. (16-80 crop equiv) and never felt the need for anything longer. The only thing I wish I had was something a bit wider. The 20mm f1.8 for indoor church shots might have been perfect. Yes, I'm using a FF body, but you can do the math for a crop body equivalent.

+1

New photographers have been conditioned by years of camera advertising that spouted "20x... 30x... 50x zoom" that it led to the mistaken belief in the value of long telephoto. For most uses, long telephoto is totally unnecessary. Why do you need pictures of things you would need binoculars to see? How often do you bring binoculars on vacation?

If you're a big wildlife shooter, then you NEED long telephoto. But if you are trying to capture the sights from your cruise, the beautiful landscapes, the things you saw with your own eyes, then WIDE angle is far more important than telephoto.

That's what led to my lens recommendations:

http://enthusiastphotoblog.com/2018/01/25/the-two-lens-travel-solution/

Keeping it simple to 2 lenses, 1 "normal view" prime and 1 ultrawide angle.

I don't know if this will help you make a decision, but what I did was put the 18-55 lens on my D3200 and went for a walk taking pictures, then did the same with the 55-200 lens. I tried to simulate photo opportunities I might run into (Western Caribbean) and came to the conclusion that I will be just fine.

I eventually want to add a prime lens, probably 35mm f1.8 but it's not going to be in the budget for this trip unless I find a can't pass it up bargain.

I'll slightly disagree. If you like to capture architectural detail on larger buildings or slice of life scenes from a bit of a distance I think going to 300 or 400 is a good idea as your top range especially FF.

You really only need anything beyond 200mm if you're going for wildlife. Or a naked celebrity.