Costa Rica Excursions

sb44

We are seasoned Windstar travelers and normally do our own excursions however, the Costa Rica trip that we are doing in March has us a little stumped. As I read more, I have realized that all landings are wet (zodiac) and there is not a lot of opportunity to arrange private excursions in these areas. So - I'm looking for some advice from those of you who have "done" CR on Windstar. We cannot do the "strenuous" excursions as walking for a mile or more on old feet isn't fun anymore so would like to know experiences on the mangrove tours, culinary experiences, chocolate farm, etc. Would really like to know if the 7 hour Balboa, Panama Canal excursion is worth the day and the money at $159 each. All thoughts appreciate.

We did the chocolate farm a couple of years ago with our two college age sons at the time. We all really enjoyed the tour. There was a bit of walking around the farm but it was all flat. We didn’t know anything about the process and learned a lot. And the chocolate and fresh fruit at the end of the tour were delicious!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did the chocolate farm a couple of years ago with our two college age sons at the time. We all really enjoyed the tour. There was a bit of walking around the farm but it was all flat. We didn’t know anything about the process and learned a lot. And the chocolate and fresh fruit at the end of the tour were delicious!

Thanks. Yes, saw that and looks interesting. Especially to a chocolate freak like me. We'll probably do mangrove boat tour just to be out on water. Other than that will probably stay on board and enjoy the ship and crew. Really making this trip because of lifelong dream to transit canal. My husband has been down on the Caribbean coast fishing but only with the guys. Looked at a charter but they're expensive and we fish at home. The excursion director is someone we've been on with before so he may have a great recommendation.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yes the canal transit was on my bucket list and we all enjoyed the day. And being on the small ship (we were on Wind Spirit) made it so easy to wander to any part of the ship without any trouble or hoards of people (ah the advantages of a Wind Star yacht!).

Skip Manuel Antonio. We were disappointed. Although interesting, it turned out to not be such a big deal. Lots of walking, not a lot of critters seen, and you end up at a beach with no place to sit and not much to do unless you go swimming.

An option might be to do it on your own, walk as far as you want/can and head out

Skip Manuel Antonio. We were disappointed. Although interesting, it turned out to not be such a big deal. Lots of walking, not a lot of critters seen, and you end up at a beach with no place to sit and not much to do unless you go swimming.

An option might be to do it on your own, walk as far as you want/can and head out

Thanks. I think that's the day they offer a mangrove boat tour with a local naturalist that sounds far more interesting. We live in a mangrove area and love to get close to all the birds and critters that live in them. That and the chocolate farm seem like our best two options since we are way past zip lining days. We have a lovely balcony suite and can play off the swim platform if the seas are kind. Otherwise there is always a cold beer to be had somewhere.

We did the mangroves in the morning and then took a taxi to Manuel Antonio in the afternoon and did it ourselves. The mangroves were really interesting, but be prepared for minimal wildlife encounters.

Thanks. I kind of figured that it is more mangrove than critters. Did you do tour of Miraflores center (sp?). Seems like long day of 7 hours with lots of bus time but interested in the mechanics of it all.

We did the Miraflores visitor center on our own after the cruise this past December and it was really interesting. Not sure I would want to be on a bus for 7 hours, but the folks that did the tour liked seeing both centers. The excursion that day we did was the monkey island one. We weren't as interested in seeing the monkeys, although we saw quite a few, as we were in being in a small boat on Gatun Lake seeing the huge cargo ships making their passage. We did uber after the tour brought us back to Balboa and based off of our cost, I would think getting to Miraflores would be $10-15 or so each way.

We did the Miraflores visitor center on our own after the cruise this past December and it was really interesting. Not sure I would want to be on a bus for 7 hours, but the folks that did the tour liked seeing both centers. The excursion that day we did was the monkey island one. We weren't as interested in seeing the monkeys, although we saw quite a few, as we were in being in a small boat on Gatun Lake seeing the huge cargo ships making their passage. We did uber after the tour brought us back to Balboa and based off of our cost, I would think getting to Miraflores would be $10-15 or so each way.

Great information. Thanks so much.

Manuel Antonio is good one. Depends on the guide you get how interesting it gets.

We have been able to spot all kinds of animals, plants and flowers.

Carara Ntl Park is not that interesting.

Don’t do orquid garden in Golfito. Just very poor.

Over all quality of Windstar tours is low in Panama & Costa Rica. The places are amazing and we were able to spot many wildlife but looks very difficult to frame it on a cruise on this destination. For better or worse wildlife still it is very much protected.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Forums