A couple questions about scooters.

Billzilla66

I'll be in Bermuda for three days and I was considering renting a scooter to get around, but I do have a couple of questions.

1) Is there anywhere around the Royal Navy Dockyard that I can park it overnight so that it will stay safe?

2) Can you take the scooters on the Railway Trails? I was playing with Google maps and saw signs that read "bicycles, electric bicycles, and equestrian only", nothing about scooters (nor pedestrians for that matter).

Thank you in advance for any info.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

I'll be in Bermuda for three days and I was considering renting a scooter to get around, but I do have a couple of questions.

1) Is there anywhere around the Royal Navy Dockyard that I can park it overnight so that it will stay safe?

2) Can you take the scooters on the Railway Trails? I was playing with Google maps and saw signs that read "bicycles, electric bicycles, and equestrian only", nothing about scooters (nor pedestrians for that matter).

If you’re talking about renting a street legal scooter here is our experience. We rented a motor scooter on Bermuda about 5 years ago. My wife rode on the back. We were in our late 50’s at that time and i had a motorcycle license w/ a good amount of experience. There were PRO’s & CON’s to it:

PRO- It was a really fun way to see the entire island on our own. We stopped at the shopping district, locked it up, had lunch & shopped. Then we rode thru normal living neighborhoods, & we checked out a beach. Made wonderful memories doing it. The people that n Bermuda we’re great. Very friendly.

CON: If you don’t have experience on a motor scooter, or driving on the left side of the road, Bermuda isn’t a place to learn. Do a quick Google search and you’ll find they have a high accident rate with rented scooters.

Although we really enjoyed it, I probably would not do it again.

Have fun

Bob

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can park on the wharf near your cruise ship. At this time, motor scooters are not allowed on the Rail Trail.

Suggest you read the post by member Hamlettm titled -Should You Rent a Scooter in Bermuda

SBtS

Roads are extremely narrow with a lot of oncoming traffic (the oncoming busses are the scariest on a scooter). There are accidents with tours constantly. We rented a scooter the first time we went and wouldn’t do it again. You can easily get around the island using ferries and taxis. We discovered the app Hitch a few years ago which is like local Uber and it allows you to pay for the taxis with credit card. Overall a combo of bus, ferry and taxi was much more enjoyable than renting a scooter.

[/url]

Scooters are not allowed on the trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, we are regular visitors to Bermuda and in fact we are on a six week visit now. "Back in the day" we rented a scooter and it was OK, often a little scary given the buses and transport trucks can be right on your tail. These days the traffic is heavier, faster and the cars and trucks are larger. The roads are still narrow and there are Bermuda stone walls either side in many areas.

If you are comfortable driving on the left side and have experience riding a scooter or motor cycle then you would enjoy this unique Bermuda experience. There's a scooter rental office a five minute walk from the Dockyard cruise ship terminal. Scooter rental companies will deliver to your hotel or guest house and pick up afterwards. They will even given a short safety lesson. No scooter riding on the railway trail however. The buses and ferries are great, not expensive and generally on time.

New this past year in Bermuda are rental vehicles called Twizzys. We see more and more on the road. Check out this link for one business offering them. Curentvehicles.com They are two seater (tandem) electric "cars". Looks like great fun. Hope you enjoy your visit to this beautiful Island.

OK, so renting a scooter sounds like I would be playing with death. What about mountain bikes? Just as bad? At least those are allowed on the rail trail.

Generally roads are narrow, winding and have no shoulders. The main roads can be congested. Personally the only place I would ride a mountain bike is on the Railway Trail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
Wow I thought about renting a scooter and now I am bit scared. Is it slower in October?

It is a year around problem. Congestion has been getting worse.There are articles every week in their local press about the road situation and carnage. Today there is an article in the Royal Gazette “Road deaths like American Mass Shootings”. Not really the best analogy but they need to do something, speed cameras and better DUI enforcement would likely help. Can’t change the geography. You can read the article, link below, from Bermuda's Royal Gazette and draw your own conclusions.

http://www.royalgazette.com/drive-for-change/article/20180226/road-deaths-like-american-mass-shootings

Edited by Charles4515

We also are regular visitors to Bermuda and have rented scooters in the past. We never had a issue with driving on the "wrong" side of the road and keeping speed down helps. However, the cost of the rental seems to keep going up year after year and we found the 3 day bus/ferry pass a much better and way less expensive option. Service is extensive and frequent, the bus/ferry system can take you to just about anywhere and it's a great opportunity to strike up a conversation with some Bermudians.