Thought from our Princess Grand cruise of January 22

Micahs Grandad

Just back this past Tuesday from a great 15 day cruise on the Grand and some comments.

Spent 3 days in San Francisco (first time there) and enjoyed our time there including a day trip to Napa Value.

This was our first time on the Grand and the smallest Princess ship we have been on (previously on Ruby, Crown, Royal and Regal.

Ship was fine (in spite of its age) but do prefer Horizon Court on newer ships with larger Courts with more variety of its offerings.

Crew was outstanding. One of the best dining room staffs we have ever sailed with and very approachable chefs. Assistant waiter worked on Horizon breakfast hours and people sat in her section as she was that good and very funny.

Entertainment was good with extraordinarily good magician Alex (forgot his last name) doing shows on 3 days.

Lots of trivia and other games hosted by cruise staff on all the sea days.

Other than first day at sea (rather rocky) weather was good but somewhat cool with many days high of 60. Hawaii was generally high of 75 or so perfect for sightseeing.

Usually do private tours but did Princess tour Road to Hana and tour guide was excellent. Did it this way as it was the last port before heading back to Mexico and wife would not have wanted to swim out to the ship if we were late getting back.

Enhancement lecturers Hawaiian ambassador, Naturalist and Survival in the wilderness trainer all did a great job.

There was another one about the nature of laughing which we stayed for about 10 minutes and didnt go back.

Food in general was very good. Wish the pizza was better, would be if they used better quality cheese and a better tomato sauce but was just ok.

Happy to answer questions.

I agree that the Grand has such a fantastic crew/staff! I am surprised, though, to hear the pizza was substandard. The pizza on Princess has always been so very good. They probably switched something out to save some money ... and it probably won't fly with those that have touted how good the pizza is on this line.

I agree that the Grand has such a fantastic crew/staff! I am surprised, though, to hear the pizza was substandard. The pizza on Princess has always been so very good. They probably switched something out to save some money ... and it probably won't fly with those that have touted how good the pizza is on this line.

Friends of ours on our cruise from NYC thought the mozzarella was rather tasteless and we agreed.

Friends of ours on our cruise from NYC thought the mozzarella was rather tasteless and we agreed.

I have been on the Grand 5 times and agree with everything completely! I am assuming you are talking about the Piazza Pizza and not that awful Pool Pizza?

I have been on the Grand 5 times and agree with everything completely! I am assuming you are talking about the Piazza Pizza and not that awful Pool Pizza?

By piazaa thinking you mean Alfredo I believe. Ate there once for lunch and thought pizza was barely ok but they did put tons of veggies on mine.

Pizza on lido was rather pathetic.

By piazaa thinking you mean Alfredo I believe. Ate there once for lunch and thought pizza was barely ok but they did put tons of veggies on mine.

Pizza on lido was rather pathetic.

Thanks for your report.

We were on the cruise before yours (10-day to Mexico), and I could swear they changed cheese in the middle of the cruise. We went to Alfredo's once early in the trip and had pretty good pizza. A few days later, we got the same pizza and it was weird, kind of gooey, and not in a good way.

We also thought the ship was fine, though my wife pointed out a few flaws (old carpet, etc.). And we had probably the best MDR staff we've ever had. Jose and company in the Botticelli. Also loved the new muster drill with no life jackets.

Jim

I'm leaving on the same cruise on 3/23. What dining room was anytime dining?

Sent from my 2PS64 using Forums mobile app

Last time we were on the Grand, Anytime was in the Michelangelo MDR. The Da Vinci was used for early traditional and then became Anytime after 7:30pm. Botticelli was traditional only. Of course this could have changed in the last 2 ½ years.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Our experience in October was that the Michelangelo dining room had fairly long wait times and the service was very slow. We discovered that if we showed up at the Da Vinci dining room at 7:30 when they made the change over to ATD we could walk right in and pick the table of our choice. We found two waiters who were excellent and were seated at their table for the rest of the cruise. Service was efficient and personable. If you don't mind waiting until 7:30 for dinner, that is definitely the way to go.

We do think the newer Princess ships with larger Horizon Courts having more variety are more to our liking.

Captain did announce that the Grand was staying in San Francisco for another 18 months at least.

People on the ship were very happy but would have thought they would prefer a newer ship.

We do think the newer Princess ships with larger Horizon Courts having more variety are more to our liking.

Captain did announce that the Grand was staying in San Francisco for another 18 months at least.

People on the ship were very happy but would have thought they would prefer a newer ship.

San Francisco is what I'd have to call our "home port." I like the Grand just fine. I wouldn't mind seeing a different ship in SF, but I'd hope for another Grand Class ship, since I love that big wrap around promenade deck that the newest ships don't have.

That's too bad. I am sailing on her again in a couple months. I will cheat on my diet for that pizza. hahaha! And .... I'm not talking about Alfredos, either. That one I am not fond of .... but love the pizza up by the pool. I know I am probably in the minority here. Maybe the lines were getting too long so they decided to make it less delicious than before. ;)

San Francisco is what I'd have to call our "home port." I like the Grand just fine. I wouldn't mind seeing a different ship in SF, but I'd hope for another Grand Class ship, since I love that big wrap around promenade deck that the newest ships don't have.

That deck was the one I usually walked on if not too windy but you do have to go up and down a few stair cases to go around the bow.

A few other comments from the cruise

No classical music at all on the ship which is a first for us having now done 7 on Princess. Surprised not even a string trio or quartet.

Happy to see they often had entertainers or shows at same time both in Princess Theatre and Vista lounge. Had two shows for each so it made getting into shows easier. Very often performer would have show one night in the Theatre and than a different show in the lounge.

They did the Walk for he Cure on one of the last sea days. Little publicity and only 47 walkers. Asst CD who ran it only stayed for 2 of the 9 laps which surprised me. Also none of the younger women on the ship walked. Half men and half women on the walk also surprising.

Just back this past Tuesday from a great 15 day cruise on the Grand and some comments.

Spent 3 days in San Francisco (first time there) and enjoyed our time there including a day trip to Napa Value.

This was our first time on the Grand and the smallest Princess ship we have been on (previously on Ruby' date=' Crown, Royal and Regal.

Ship was fine (in spite of its age) but do prefer Horizon Court on newer ships with larger Courts with more variety of its offerings.

Crew was outstanding. One of the best dining room staffs we have ever sailed with and very approachable chefs. Assistant waiter worked on Horizon breakfast hours and people sat in her section as she was that good and very funny.

Entertainment was good with extraordinarily good magician Alex (forgot his last name) doing shows on 3 days.

Other than first day at sea (rather rocky) weather was good but somewhat cool with many days high of 60. Hawaii was generally high of 75 or so perfect for sightseeing.

Usually do private tours but did Princess tour Road to Hana and tour guide was excellent. Did it this way as it was the last port before heading back to Mexico and wife would not have wanted to swim out to the ship if we were late getting back.

Enhancement lecturers Hawaiian ambassador, Naturalist and Survival in the wilderness trainer all did a great job.

There was another one about the nature of laughing which we stayed for about 10 minutes and didnt go back.

Food in general was very good. Wish the pizza was better, would be if they used better quality cheese and a better tomato sauce but was just ok.

Happy to answer questions.[/quote']

Where, or what is Napa Value?

We were on the cruise.

To add a few comments.

First two days at sea were a bit rocky. Like a rolling 3.00 earthquake. ;)

Cuisine was OK. We are not picky eaters. Plenty of butter served at dinner each night in the MDR. Never needed to ask for refills. :)

We enjoyed the Hawaiian Ambassadors, Brian and Rowena Vasquez, and attended their performances in the Piazza, the Hawaianna lectures, Hula, and Ukulele workshops. We did not attend the lei making, pearl, or shark tooth pendant workshops. Brian and Rowena embodied a true Aloha spirit. And for us, the most enjoyable part of the cruise. :)

Shipboard entertainment was fine. No complaints from us.

There were two medical emergencies that we witnessed. And one we did not. First, going ashore in Nawilliwilli, we saw an ambulance on the pier. Later, another fellow PAX said a PAX had suffered a diabetic coma, and was found by her husband barely breathing. Ships medical personnel was able to provide medical assistance.

Second medical emergency, at about 11:00 p.m. on another evening, the Captain announced over the ships intercom rhar there wound be a medical evacuation operation at sea by helicopter and advised PAXs to stay in their staterooms and turn off the lights during the operation. Shortly thereafter, a USCG helicopter arrived, and about one hour later evacuated the sick PAX. We were sailing between islands. The following day, we were told by a PAX who knew the PAX who was evacuated, that the woman suffered a stroke or heart attack, and was air lifted to a hospital in Honolulu.

Third medical occurrence, we we told by a fellow PAX, that an elderly PAX had died of a heart attack on board. Unconfirmed.

Dress Code. We had late seating traditional dining in Botticelli DR. We saw a group of three men wearing their hats every evening at dinner in the MDR. They were with their wifes/girlfriends. We noticed on the of the men on the first night arguing with the Maitre D. My guess it was over their hats, Howevr, they were allowed to continue to wear their hats, and they did so. Every night.

Many men young and old wearing tuexedos on the three Formal Nights. Some ladies wearing long gowns.

We noticed no one dressed shabby in tee shirts, torn jeans, or shorts at dinner in the MDR. Although we had a laugh when we noticed from afar an elderly man wore a tuxedo tee shirt and jeans in the MDR on the three Formal Nights. Even more laughable because he and his (wife?} were seated at a 4 top with a couple where the man was dressed in real formal wear. :)

We enjoyed our cruise, and met many nice PAXs. We came into contact with only a few complainers or whinners.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Typo meant to write Napa Valley.

Saw ambulances on three separate occasions by the ship in Kaui.

Probably the oldest group of passengers we have ever seen on a ship. Just an observation.

Also must have been 12-15 service/comfort dogs on the ship. Very well behaved dogs performing a great service to the people that really needed it. Not sure if all really did.

When we first started with Princess would wear a suit for formal nights.

Due to weight restrictions on airlines and easier for us to take one large suitcase limiting weight to 50 pounds plus carryon, suit was relegated to staying home.

Wear dress shirt and slacks and never feel uncomfortable.

Typo meant to write Napa Valley.

Saw ambulances on three separate occasions by the ship in Kaui.

Probably the oldest group of passengers we have ever seen on a ship. Just an observation.

Also must have been 12-15 service/comfort dogs on the ship. Very well behaved dogs performing a great service to the people that really needed it. Not sure if all really did.

How old would you say the majority of the passengers were? And how was the food; did they hold back on salt and seasonings to accommodate the older passengers dietary requests? Just wondering as I will be on this cruise in a year, thanks.

How old would you say the majority of the passengers were? And how was the food; did they hold back on salt and seasonings to accommodate the older passengers dietary requests? Just wondering as I will be on this cruise in a year, thanks.

Average age over 65.

Think food was overly salted and normal for cruise lines. Wish they would cut down on the salt. Felt swelling in my fingers numerous times during the cruise.

Other seasonings about average. They did make a chili flake pasta in DR and that was less spicy than other times we have had it.

Hi Micah's Grandad.. can you tell me who the most traveled passenger was on your Hawaii cruise? Appreciate your reply.

This was our first time on the Grand and the smallest Princess ship we have been on (previously on Ruby' date=' Crown, Royal and Regal.

Happy to answer questions.[/quote']