Snorkel Gear

4olivers

We are cruising Magic in late April/early May and will be snorkeling at three of our ports. We have snorkeled before at all-inclusive resorts and just used the gear provided. What is recommended… Should we splurge and get our own snorkel gear?If so I’m looking for recommendations! It will be my husband and myself along with our two teenage sons.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have my own, it's not great but it works. We snorkeled on our first cruise only once, and used what they had. Next cruise, took mine, never used it. If i were going 3x's, I would probably bring my own. But, it is a good idea to use it a few times before you get to your excursion. That way everyone has their masks and fins worked out and you dont waste vacay time working out your gear. Also, same thing applies if you have a ggopro, practice with it before yuou go. With 2 boys, work out the sched for who uses it when, unless you have more than one. If no gopro, consider a good waterproof bag/case for phone to use cam

We take our own. You can get pretty decent sets that will last years and don't cost a whole lot. We've had poor luck with the rental gear and prefer the time savings of just taking what we have. Just personal preference I'm sure, but it's always been more convenient for us, particularly with kids who may struggle to use the equipment at some locations.

We take our own. You can get pretty decent sets that will last years and don't cost a whole lot. We've had poor luck with the rental gear and prefer the time savings of just taking what we have. Just personal preference I'm sure, but it's always been more convenient for us, particularly with kids who may struggle to use the equipment at some locations.

Can you recommend brand?

I take my own gear...Went to my local dive shop and bought it but you could always buy it on line. Your local dive shop (if you have one) is a great place to decide on what you want even if you order on line. I take my gear on every cruise...It’s paid for itself over renting over the years.

If you decide to bring your own gear, smaller fins are better for packing in your luggage. We purchased travel fins from Amazon I believe. While you are shopping for gear don't forget the MOST IMPORTANT item. A good quality snorkel vest. Purchase your vest before you buy a mask, snorkel or fins. A vest will save a life. The other stuff just makes swimming more fun.

Seavenger makes a great short fin dry snorkel set that I love. Husband uses short fins and a full face snorkel. Kids use full face snorkel.

OctoberMoon makes a nice full face snorkel and Seavenger items are decent and easily packable. Both are on Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are cruising Magic in late April/early May and will be snorkeling at three of our ports. We have snorkeled before at all-inclusive resorts and just used the gear provided. What is recommended… Should we splurge and get our own snorkel gear?If so I’m looking for recommendations! It will be my husband and myself along with our two teenage sons.

Hi there

People bring their own equipment if they have their own equipment.

You say you are going snorkeling at your three ports. Have you already made plans? Are you going on excursions that have equipment included in the price, or are you going to any random beach or club/resort where you might be able to rent what you want, or are you just planning on going to some convenient beach, where if you don't have equipment you are out of luck? A lot of places have nice beaches for swimming but lousy for snorkeling.

Where are you going? Considering sometimes a ship doesn't make it to any given port. I wouldn't go overboard spending too much to equip a family of four. How often are you going to be using this equipment after this cruise?

If you do consider buying your own and don't want to spend much, you can find snorkel/fins/mask sets for low cost at Walmart. If one of your family want better equipment for the future they can buy individual pieces whenever they find something they like.

have a great cruise

We bring our own masks and snorkels, because 1) we clean them ourselves after we use them, and 2) we have masks that properly fit our faces. We don't mind using the flippers or vests provided on the tours.

One mask has a dry snorkel which prevents water from entering, and the other is a full face mask. Just recently we read of a potential Carbon dioxide buildup with the full face mask - think of breathing with a plastic bag around your head with just a few holes in it. We haven't had any issues so far, but the warning was about lengthy and repeated snorkeling. The warning also stated that one cannot swim quickly with a full face mask if you need to get away from a spot or make it to shore right away.

You can google the topic of safety and the full face mask, and lots of articles about potential dangers come up. Some articles are from regular snorkel masks providers so I suspect they may be biased. Others appear to be from parents or spouses or someone who drowned while using a full face mask. After reading the info, you can make a better informed choice of the type of mask that works best for you.

I have watched how tour guides and vendors clean/sanitize their equipment after use and most do a good job. We just want to not chance it since we have seen some just swoosh a snorkel through the sea water and return to be used by the next person. We wonder how many get sick this way and don't realize the source and blame it on something entirely different.

To the OP, enjoy your cruise and the snorkel tours!

Edited by evandbob

My husband and I bought our snorkel gear at Costco last year. We used it many, many times on our 21 day Caribbean cruise in December-worked great. Although we did a lot of ship snorkel excursions we used our own equipment which, at times, allowed us to be in the water before others. We also would take a taxi on our own to beaches and snorkel so needed our own stuff.

I take my own gear...Went to my local dive shop and bought it but you could always buy it on line. Your local dive shop (if you have one) is a great place to decide on what you want even if you order on line. I take my gear on every cruise...It’s paid for itself over renting over the years.

This is exactly what we did for our first set. Got good advice and had a chance to see what would fit both my husband and me. I use amazon now and just look at review online. Each model is a little different, but we like the ones that have shorter fins because it's easier to pack/transport. I don't even know what we have actually.

I'm going to keep watching the thread because my youngest needs a new set.

We have our own snorkel gear, but we never fly with our fins. They take up too much room in our luggage not to mention the extra weight. It’s easy and cheap to rent just the fins.

When we cruised around the Hawaiian islands we found a snorkel gear rental place where you rent your gear on one island and you can return it on any other island at no extra cost.

This explains so much so well for you:

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting