What beach is best in May?

sansterre

We will arrive on HAL ship, docked in Hamilton for 3 nights.

DS and wife want to do beaches. Will the water be warm enough to swim May 22-24? What beaches tend to be warmer at this time of year?

The water was to cool for me when I went that week in May but that does not mean it will be to cool for you. YMMV. That week is borderline. If you are used to cool water like in New England it might be fine for you. I do beaches myself so I don’t do Bermuda until the middle of June if my plan there is to do beaches. May 24 is the date that local Bermudians consider the start of beach season. Bermuda is a small island in the Atlantic Ocean so I don’t think water temperature is going to be much different from one beach to another.

You’re right at the very very beginning of beach season. Always have found it’s too cold to really enjoy the water but the beaches are nice to hang out on that time of year. Really 2nd weekend of June is when it gets safe temperature wise. Know this isn’t helpful but while slow to warm up it’s also slow to get cold- the hangover the water temperature has into September is great. Tourists slow down and the water is nice and warm almost til October.

We will arrive on HAL ship, docked in Hamilton for 3 nights.

DS and wife want to do beaches. Will the water be warm enough to swim May 22-24? What beaches tend to be warmer at this time of year?

Horseshoe Bay and all of the other beaches in Bermuda but it’s in the Atlantic Ocean and cold water temps in May. Not the best time of year to swim in Bermuda generally.

We've been several times in May and always went swimming. If you're from the NE, Bermuda water temp is pretty much comparable to mid summer water temp off NY/NJ/MA/RI. If you're used to Fla water temps, it might be a bit cool, but not "undoable" for you. My Fla friends don't go in the ocean (pools only) in Jan/Feb in Fla, but the vacationers do.

Horsehoe Bay is a popular, nice long beach area, but with 3 cruise ships in port and that being Bermuda Day week, that beach will be busy. I'm not a fan of crowds, so I like going to Elbow Beach less crowds and clean restroom facilities right on the beach.

• 3 weeks later...