Thinking of leaving my good camera at home

Jakemedic

Good is a 10 yr old Nikon with exchangeable lenses. 10 mp, my iPad and iPhone are rated higher and do take decent photos. Other than telephoto shots, any other downfall of not bringing it? I love taking photos, but don’t love lugging the backpack with all the photography equipment. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Depends where you are going. Last cruise was 7 nights with three sea days. 1 port day was a beach and two were ports we had been to before. First time my DLSR stayed at home. However, when we did a European cruise I brought three cameras with me for different situations. Used a pocket camera around the ship.

As shocking as this may sound... a new phone (iPhone 8 plus for example) is a better camera than a 10 year old dslr with kit lenses on auto.

Unless you’re shooting with manual settings and upgraded lenses, you’re better off with the phone.

I have started only taking my iPhone & have not regretted it. I was once on a cruise with a family & the mom was taking hundreds of photos & only seemed to care about getting the perfect shot & not at all about enjoying the moments with her family. I decided then that I would rather live the experience than to have photos to look at after. (And let’s be honest how many times do you really get those photos out & look at them?) so now I just take a few pics with my phone & really pay attention to what’s going on around me.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As shocking as this may sound... a new phone (iPhone 8 plus for example) is a better camera than a 10 year old dslr with kit lenses on auto.

Unless you’re shooting with manual settings and upgraded lenses, you’re better off with the phone.

Depends on your point of view. As a retired professional photographer, for me, phones are fine for informal pics with the grandkids. For images I really care about, for example, on my last cruise to the Galápagos Islands, phones dont come close to the quality of images from a DSLR, even an older one.

Depends on your point of view. As a retired professional photographer, for me, phones are fine for informal pics with the grandkids. For images I really care about, for example, on my last cruise to the Galápagos Islands, phones dont come close to the quality of images from a DSLR, even an older one.

As a retired professional photographer — you aren’t relying on a kit lens and shooting full auto.

Take a 10 year old dslr — set it on auto with the kit lens. You’ll get a 4 - 6.3 aperture... if light isn’t great... your shutter speed will be slowed down and you won’t likely have good stabilization to counter it. Your ISO will quickly hit the upper limits of the camera capability. So you’ll get a blurry grainy photo.

Meanwhile, the iPhone 8+ will take that photo at F1.8, with fantastic stabilization and extremely advanced processing... even compositing images to improve IQ. So you’ll get a clean bright crisp photo from the phone.

Now, stick a prime lens on the dslr and take manual control, of course you can get better results. But if you’re sticking to auto with kit lenses and a 10 year old body... it won’t even be close. The phone will blow sway the old dslr.

Putting aside all of the technical issues regarding resolution, stabilization, processing, speed of the lens, etc., I would still rather shoot with a 10-year old DSLR than a modern phone. I think I will consistently get better photos. Why? Because I will compose better. I compose photos better by putting the viewfinder up to my eye than I do looking at the screen of a phone. It gives me a better opportunity to run my eye around the periphery of the frame, and eliminate distracting elements in the photo.

The Galápagos Islands is not your normal cruise IMHO. Bring it on...

framer

Since my primary reason for cruising is to go places to take pictures, leaving the "good" camera(s) home isn't up for discussion. I will say that on this last few trips, I didn't always sling the camera over my shoulder whenever I left the room like I used to. The P&S I used to carry is long gone since I picked up a Nokia Icon about five years and later, my current Pixel XL. The cameras on these are so good that a phone has become my NLHWAC* choice.

Bottom line is that I carry cameras and good lenses and love to spend my time on cruises (or just about anywhere) taking pictures, so cameras aren't a burden. If photos aren't paramount in your travel planning, a good, modern phone can do literal magic standing in as a travel camera and add nothing to the luggage list. I would, however add some kind of tether to it since an unexpected fumble could end with your phone 14,000 ft. past it's waterproof rating.

Dave

*Never Leave Home Without A Camera

Putting aside all of the technical issues regarding resolution, stabilization, processing, speed of the lens, etc., I would still rather shoot with a 10-year old DSLR than a modern phone. I think I will consistently get better photos. Why? Because I will compose better. I compose photos better by putting the viewfinder up to my eye than I do looking at the screen of a phone. It gives me a better opportunity to run my eye around the periphery of the frame, and eliminate distracting elements in the photo.

Problem is, depending on the 10-year-old dSLR, you may not actually see the periphery of the frame, as most OVFs would likely only give you about 95% coverage. Look at the Nikon D60 for example, only 95% coverage. .80 magnification, so very small. Only 3 AF points, so your composition is very limited unless you focus and re-compose.

So while you may be more subjectively comfortable holding an OVF to your eye, the new phone actually would give you far more compositional freedom, including the ability to view the entire frame (not just 95%), to see it bright and clearly, and to focus anywhere you want.

I've found that when shooting a auto-kit lens versus the iphone (iphone 7 in my experiments), at still not-moving subjects, the iphone will have about a 4-6 stop advantage. That's pretty huge.

In other words.... the phone will get a clear photo at 1/10 F1.8 ISO 100 (4mm but effectively 28mm). The camera with kit lens will take the same image at F4.5, 1/60 (minimum shutter speed for Sony cameras when left on full auto as long as allowed by the ISO), and ISO 4000. That's a 5 1/2 stop difference. That's on a current aps-c dSLR...

Take the Nikon D60 -- ISO 1600 was the highest native ISO.

So to get the same image as the iphone at ISO 100 1/10 F1.8 -- the D60 would be shooting at the camera's maximum ISO while having to drop the shutter speed to about 1/20. Now, the D60 kit lens did have first generation stabilization -- so *maybe* your 28mm effective image would be stable. Maybe not.

It's all about the love of taking the photos vs the willingness to carry the gear...I don't think anyone should be hauling around a bunch of lenses or cameras if the process is making them enjoy taking photos less - so by all means if bringing just the phone makes you enjoy yourself, your trip, and even your photography, then that's the way to go.

Like Dave, I love taking photos, and moreso, I actually love handling, manipulating, and playing with cameras...part of the joy for me is having controls, and having flexibility and variability especially with regards to focal length. Stick me with a phone as my only camera, and I honestly wouldn't end up taking very many photos - no matter how great the phone camera's ability - because I don't derive any real enjoyment or physical/emotional feedback from the phone. I like lenses with rings on them, buttons and dials that allow me to make adjustments, and sticking my eye up to a viewfinder, both to control the view and the light through the lens and also to provide stability and accuracy.

My 'compromise' to not wanting to haul a big heavy bag of gear is to just lighten my load to what I think I'll need for that particular shoot on any given day...for me, it's a better option than going with a phone. For example, with Dave's NLHWAC situation, I'll bring my mirrorless camera with one very compact lens - either a rangefinder fixed prime or compact kit. That's small enough for me to barely notice - squeeze in a baggy pocket, or throw around my neck, so I can bring it anywhere. Often, I won't even end up using it (I'll bring it with me as I walk around the ship, go to lunch, or sit in a deck chair and read a book - it's there for that 'what if' moment that might catch my interest). If I'm headed to a not-as-scenic port, or a place I have no plans to photograph anything specific, I might just bring the camera with one attached zoom lens, or a small bag with maybe 2 lenses. If I'm headed someplace really scenic, on a cool tour, or have specific plans to shoot, I'll increase the kit as needed - maybe bring 3-4 lenses along in a medium bag, or a sling bag with a big wildlife telephoto plus a few wider options.

I rarely ever bring my entire kit with me - it's one of my favorite things about cruising - my room comes with me, so I can bring my camera backpack stuffed with 2 camera bodies and 10-15 lenses, tripods, all the extras - and it all stays in my room as a 'homebase' - each day I pick and choose the camera/lenses I think I'll want to use, and can custom-tailor to almost any size.

But it's only because that's what brings me pleasure. If I came back from an 8 mile walk on Aruba, having hauled my 100-400mm telephoto, 10-18mm UWA, 30mm F1.4, and 16mm F1.4 primes, and kit lens plus body, and was in a bad mood, with a headache, a shoulder ache, and cursing my decision - then it would be stupid to continue hauling such kit around. But when I come back from that trip with that gear, I usually have a big smile on my face and feel contented and can't wait to go through the shots I captured...most of which would be shots completely impossible with any manner of phone no matter how excellent. So for me, hauling that gear isn't a chore or a pain - but pure pleasure and enjoyment and the primary purpose of my travels.

I, too, couldn’t imagine not traveling with my backpack full of camera gear. I do think since you’ve asked the question you’d do fine with your iPad and iPhone. They can take very good photos these days. Besides the lack of a good zoom you should also look at what kind of storage those devices have. It would be a bummer to run out of room.

I am very appreciative of all your comments! I do love taking photographs on vacation. Last trip, 95% of my photos were taken with either my iPad or IPhone. I do shoot the majority of my photos in auto. Main reason is my rx in my glasses interferes with manual focus. I think I should at least bring the camera with. I would hate wanting to take photos that need a dslr camera and only have my iPhone or iPad. Maybe I can look around and see what an upgraded body would cost me.

One last question, has anyone tried with any success the clip on lenses that are showing up?

Thanks again!

I have some pictures hanging on our walls in the house, a few on my desk at work but most sitting on my hard drive (and of course two backup drives). Not huge on social media. I do send some to friends and family, some to my bride to brighten her days! Thanks for the advice folks!

One last question, has anyone tried with any success the clip on lenses that are showing up?

I attend an annual Disney Photography get together for many years now - a lot of folks with serious cameras there...but also some folks who are beginners or just use basic kit. One of the regulars at the event who usually shoots with a mirrorless camera and has 4-6 lenses, decided this year to attend with just his iPhone 8 and some clip on lenses, just to see how it would work out. Check out his comments in this thread:

http://wdw360.com/threads/pixelmania-from-the-iphone-perspective.18609/

He gives the good and bad of the experience and the clip on lenses.

There is no question that smartphones can take excellent photos but I would still have to have something with me that had an optical zoom. Something like the Canon Powershot ELPH 190 that weighs less than 5 ounces, has a 10X optical zoom, can be bought for less than $150, and is small enough to truly be called a shirt pocket camera. It’s great for taking vacation pictures and leaving the IPhone in the safe. Don’t get me wrong, the ELPH camera has its limitations but if it’s lost, stolen, or damaged it’s not the end of the world and it doesn’t cost $699 to replace.

I attend an annual Disney Photography get together for many years now - a lot of folks with serious cameras there...but also some folks who are beginners or just use basic kit. One of the regulars at the event who usually shoots with a mirrorless camera and has 4-6 lenses, decided this year to attend with just his iPhone 8 and some clip on lenses, just to see how it would work out. Check out his comments in this thread:

http://wdw360.com/threads/pixelmania-from-the-iphone-perspective.18609/

He gives the good and bad of the experience and the clip on lenses.

Thanks. Those pictures were helpful.

We like making photo books so we'll be taking our big camera for the foreseeable future. Still hoping someone overcomes physics and somehow shrinks lenses to at least half their size/weight. A body the size of a Sony a6XXX with lenses half their current size/weight would be my dream travel camera system.

Check out Olympus and Panasonic micro four thirds!

I wasn't very impressed with the image quality of the Sony a6000 (got spoiled). Are the new 4/3rds systems better than the a6000? I thought the newer a6300 and a6500 had essentially the same image quality as the a6000, or did the sensor get better in the later models on top of the newer features (like in body stabilization).

My dream is full frame dropping to the size of an a6000 (or just slightly bigger, but not much). I can live without a deep grip if it's overall size is small. I can live with so-so battery life. I just want small size, but full frame image quality with high end lenses that stick out a max of 3-4 inches. Basically, image quality equal to or better than my Nikon D750, but like half the size/weight. I don't see why the body can't get there, but from what little I know of how lenses are constructed, I'm not sure how they shrink the really good lenses.

I wasn't very impressed with the image quality of the Sony a6000 (got spoiled). Are the new 4/3rds systems better than the a6000? I thought the newer a6300 and a6500 had essentially the same image quality as the a6000, or did the sensor get better in the later models on top of the newer features (like in body stabilization).

My dream is full frame dropping to the size of an a6000 (or just slightly bigger, but not much). I can live without a deep grip if it's overall size is small. I can live with so-so battery life. I just want small size, but full frame image quality with high end lenses that stick out a max of 3-4 inches. Basically, image quality equal to or better than my Nikon D750, but like half the size/weight. I don't see why the body can't get there, but from what little I know of how lenses are constructed, I'm not sure how they shrink the really good lenses.

The A6300 is slightly better as is the A6500 (same sensor). Image quality is noticeably better than the M4/3 cameras due to the 1.5x larger sensors. The A6300 actually nudges out the full-frame Lieca Q-series on DxOMark's ratings.

The new 18-135 APS-C Sony zoom is very sharp and fairly compact. It covers about 98% of what I shoot on a cruise (I use the 18-105 f/4 and rarely take it off the a6300).

Dave.