Change in Vendor for Onboard Shops

stickey_mouse

I've read in a few recent posts/reviews that HAL's shops are getting a new vendor. When will the change take place, and will it be an immediate turnaround?

It's in progress but will take a bit of time until all fourteen ships are converted

Just off the Veendam. They had the new vendor. Seemed to be little activity in the shops. We bought a couple things from the shop that was focused on the Cuba itinerary.

None of the standard t-shirts for the other ports. No t-shirt sale by the lido pool. No $10 bargain sale. Ship-specific t-shirts were available.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In my opinion, having ship specific logo items are something that I would be much more likely to buy than generic HAL stuff. Having destination identified items for my cruise would also tempt me to spend some dollars. And, what about post cards? Relatives and friends of mine still like to receive these even if I have have returned days/weeks before they arrive.

We never buy the souvenir items and dislike corporate branded merchandise. I had so much of it free during my working career that I am loathe to pay dime one for it. Even if they are perpetually 50 percent off.

Having said that, DW still wears a high quality cover up that she purchased in a HAL shop years ago. We have not seen the same quality/price ratio on any garment on any cruise since.

We would like the stores stock better product and fewer trinkets and trash.

If only a new vendor would consider selling more Holland America memorabilia and I do not mean the usual magnets, pens and keychains, but (photo) books about history of HAL, prints and or books from the ships art (the ones by Stephen J. Card), ships models etc. I think they would sell!

if only a new vendor would consider selling more holland america memorabilia and i do not mean the usual magnets, pens and keychains, but (photo) books about history of hal, prints and or books from the ships art (the ones by stephen j. Card), ships models etc. I think they would sell!

yes!

If only a new vendor would consider selling more Holland America memorabilia and I do not mean the usual magnets, pens and keychains, but (photo) books about history of HAL, prints and or books from the ships art (the ones by Stephen J. Card), ships models etc. I think they would sell!

We agree with you.

You and me both! At one time, we're talking 15+ years ago, you could buy a calendar with twelve of Capt. Card's awesome prints in the gift shops

I am a shopper and cruise atfer HAL rfuise, I have walked through the shops and there is nohingi n the shops I would give suitcase spactgo e. . The merchandise has been so boring, unappealing and not a thing to even look at for a very long time. Too late now, for me, as I am done b uying more stuff. I want to get rid of my 'stuf'f at this point, not load more into my house.

Edited by sail7seas

Out of all the mass market cruise lines we have sailed, we found that the shops on NCL had by far the best offerings in clothing. Far superior to Princess, Celebrity, Carnival, RCI, or HAL. May not still be the case as vendors do change however this has been our experience.

As for watches and/or jewelry we don't even bother looking. Prices are as good or better at home with far better follow up service from a local vendor.

Agree completely. So much trashy junk in the stores on many cruise ships. And it is costly trash as well.

After years of frequent travel, business and pleasure,, and a major downsize, we rarely bring home anything. Not that we have any room either. Not unusual for us to come home after two or three months of travel and have nothing to declare.

Plus...we no longer need or want garage sale inventory.

You and me both! At one time, we're talking 15+ years ago, you could buy a calendar with twelve of Capt. Card's awesome prints in the gift shops

I hope I will remember to make note of it when filling in the past cruise survey the next time!

I remember those! They were fabulous. And, yes I bought one. If they brought those back I bet they would be sold out in no time ;)

I remember those! They were fabulous. And, yes I bought one. If they brought those back I bet they would be sold out in no time ;)

Absoluely,,,,,,,,, people would want for themselves and as GREAT gifts.