Formal nights

Reggiebandit

Viking has a preferred dress code in their documentation/website, which is what they want in order to encourage a degree of ambience in their restaurants, of which they are proud. If you look back in this board, you will see all sorts of threads with individual and personal interpretations from people who want to dress in other ways, their own ways, usually more scruffily. This is obviously not what Viking wants. But there are those who object to being asked politely by Viking to make an effort at dinner time, and they WILL wear whatever THEY want (jeans, t-shirts, trainers, flip-flops, etc). Pity, really.

I believe Viking describes its dinner dress code as “elegant casual,” a rather confusing oxymoron. They go on to define it, fortunately, as collared shirts for men and dresses or slacks with blouses for women. No jeans. So not fancy but not strictly casual, either.

Basically, I interpret it to mean dress like you would for a semi-traditional office. Which is not appealing to me, since it just reminds me of work, which I’m trying to get away from. But I get that some people (probably mostly retired) see drsssing like this as “making an occasion,” and I will conform accordingly. I do wish they allowed dark jeans, though, which can look quite nice when drsssed up with a nice jacket or dressy cardigan.

I believe Viking describes its dinner dress code as “elegant casual,” a rather confusing oxymoron. They go on to define it, fortunately, as collared shirts for men and dresses or slacks with blouses for women. No jeans. So not fancy but not strictly casual, either.

Basically, I interpret it to mean dress like you would for a semi-traditional office. Which is not appealing to me, since it just reminds me of work, which I’m trying to get away from. But I get that some people (probably mostly retired) see drsssing like this as “making an occasion,” and I will conform accordingly. I do wish they allowed dark jeans, though, which can look quite nice when drsssed up with a nice jacket or dressy cardigan.

I'm not retired....yet....but soon! I have no problem at all wearing clothes similar to what I wear to work. I'm not into dressing up and never have been. So if you have a nice pair of dressy jeans, have at it. Viking passengers are a relaxed tolerant lot. Quite a few are retired but a goodly number aren't. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A few people do dress up on an occasion like Captain's night before cruise ends and enjoy it but Viking certainly does not require or promote it.

And dark jeans despite written policy are common. I'd go right ahead and wear 'em if it's important to your wardrobe. Since I've seen that Viking allows shorts & T shirts in The Restaurant, dark jeans would be relatively formal.

As a guy, I was somewhat oblivious to dress issues before joining Cruise Critic and my 1st cruise as a "woke" observer was last June's Homelands.

Viking has a preferred dress code in their documentation/website, which is what they want in order to encourage a degree of ambience in their restaurants, of which they are proud. If you look back in this board, you will see all sorts of threads with individual and personal interpretations from people who want to dress in other ways, their own ways, usually more scruffily. This is obviously not what Viking wants. But there are those who object to being asked politely by Viking to make an effort at dinner time, and they WILL wear whatever THEY want (jeans, t-shirts, trainers, flip-flops, etc). Pity, really.

Per my own experience I have not seen anybody wear flip-flops or scruffy clothing to the specialty restaurants or even to the World Cafe at dinner time. Things at the Cafe at breakfast and lunch can be more casual - sandals, shorts, t- shirts but never utter scruffy. Movie night with popcorn supplied is also a little more casual. Things can be a tad more casual in the Explorer lounge after 6 - more "elegant casual" than casual -depends on where they were before - eating at one of the specialty restaurants, taking in a show at Torshavn or the Star Theater, etc. Bottom line - I think you're being a little harsh with regards to how Viking passengersa comport themselves onboard ship.

Here we go again.......unfortunately. Not once on our cruise did we see anyone dressed inappropriately at meal times. Scruffy seems a bit exaggerated to make a point. It's quite sad that some think that choice of clothing makes or breaks a cruise. I'm too busy enjoying my cruise to let anything so silly ruin it.

Here we go again.......unfortunately. Not once on our cruise did we see anyone dressed inappropriately at meal times. Scruffy seems a bit exaggerated to make a point. It's quite sad that some think that choice of clothing makes or breaks a cruise. I'm too busy enjoying my cruise to let anything so silly ruin it.

[emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I just got off the Sea from a Caribbean trip. Lots of shorts, capris, flip flops in the buffet for dinner. Some men wore a jacket now and then in the dining rooms. Lots of polos. Definitely nice jeans. Casual sandals in dining rooms. Really, not much in the way of dressy clothes.

I think a lot depends on the cruise location and the weather. We have done two Viking Mediterranean itineraries. On both occasions I would categorise the normal evening attire as 'smart casual'.

The huge majority of fellow cruisers looked as if they were going out to an elegant restaurant in the evening. There were one or two 'jarring' outfits. I recall one middle aged lady in torn jeans (possibly designer) dancing at the New Years Eve Party. She was in amongst others in sparkly tops and a couple of long dresses. I don't think anyone cared too much - we were all having too much fun.

2 years ago on our Med Ody cruise, we had a woman who never wore shoes to the World Cafe. I thought it couldn't be topped, but oh how wrong I was. In the theater one night, she proceeded to take the pillows off the couch, put them on the table and put her feet on them. Then she removed the pillows after a while and just left her feet on the table.ugg, gross.

2 years ago on our Med Ody cruise, we had a woman who never wore shoes to the World Cafe. I thought it couldn't be topped, but oh how wrong I was. In the theater one night, she proceeded to take the pillows off the couch, put them on the table and put her feet on them. Then she removed the pillows after a while and just left her feet on the table.ugg, gross.

As a fellow southerner, Teah, I’m sure you’ll understand when my reply to your post is “Well, bless her heart!” ;)

Note to the Fashion Police: sometimes it’s eccentricity or ignorance (perhaps as in Teah’s example) and sometimes people have more worthy places to spend their money than on “fancy casual” clothes that might not be worn very often.

These types of threads do not bring out the best in some folks.

I will just add my experience, which I am posting from the Star right now.

The attire in The Restaurant in the evening has ranged from sharp and appropriate, all the way down to faded jeans and sneakers. The majority of guests respect the dress code, but there has been a noticeable number of guests who, in my opinion, should have been turned away at the door. This is our first Viking cruise, so I can't compare to other Viking Ocean or River cruises. Perhaps it is the nature of these very port intensive Mediterranean itineraries.

Thanks for the laugh Geosez!! Unfortunately it wasn't ignorance, happened more then once and she announced to anyone who could hear her (after she was told to wear shoes) lets see them make me. She was dressed nicely. Go figure. Maybe she just liked the attention.

Thanks for the laugh Geosez!! Unfortunately it wasn't ignorance, happened more then once and she announced to anyone who could hear her (after she was told to wear shoes) lets see them make me. She was dressed nicely. Go figure. Maybe she just liked the attention.

Wow, I am at a loss for words. She was certainly a attention seeker. You aren't even allowed in ANY restaurant off ship without shoes. I wish I they would have enforced it. Clothes I am forgiving but going without shoes, not so much. :eek:

Wow, I am at a loss for words. She was certainly a attention seeker. You aren't even allowed in ANY restaurant off ship without shoes. I wish I they would have enforced it. Clothes I am forgiving but going without shoes, not so much. :eek:

No shoes. No shirt. No service. [emoji12]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Where's the sign saying "no shirt, no shoes, no service" when you need it?? Gawd! I can't believe it. Her behavior was seriously over the top.

We never saw anyone inappropriately dressed. Some jeans at dinner, but worn with nice tops and seemed appropriate. I gather that now there is a "no jeans" in the dining room rule somewhere, but it was not in effect on our Sky cruise last year, the Barcelona, the Baltics, and Beyond. The restaurant manager told us the only rule was no shorts. But everyone looked nice to me. Some dressed up more than others, but that's personal choice....I guess I must say that I am from Tucson, and we wear jeans everywhere...there is no restaurant in town that requires a jacket or a tie....we are very casual here. That being said, I did dress up more for our cruise....leggings and tunic tops. Dress "codes and expectations" I believe vary by where you live. Here my husband's big "dress up" is putting on his khakis.