Uber tipping?

8mma

I know you don't tip in AU but my question is does that include Uber too? In the states you tip for Uber and I just want to do the right thing (and not tip if that is the WRONG thing). Sorry to have to ask the question but I know lots of you here have the answer. I tried searching the threads but could not find the answer. Hopefully AU makes Uber pay a decent wage so no tipping is necessary (I wish our country did that). Thanks ahead of time!

There is a tipping option in the Uber App and an Uber Driver is not going to refund you if you do tip but generally Australians don't like American tourists practising their tipping culture here as there is an opinion that if it becomes common minimum wages will drop or not be protected. Tipping is only for those who go beyond the expected service.

On a side note have you considered using an Australian owned ride share? There is Go Catch and HOP in Sydney and if your a woman there is Shebah, in Melbourne there is Oiii, Perth and Darwin has Hi Oscar.

When we say there is NO TIPPING in Aus - we genuinely mean there is no tipping.

We don't mean "except for this? and "except for that". It really truly is no tipping.

We really do not want US culture imposed on us. I know plenty of uber drivers - and they are making an extremely decent income even from just 3 days a week.

Note that all of the Aus companies mentioned above - most drivers are registered with all of them and take jobs from all. I have a friend who drives Uber during the day but at night she accepts jobs only from the female companies She Safe and Shebah.

Unless they are morons or poor drivers I always tip cabbies inc Uber plus transfer/shuttle bus drivers, but then I am a generous person.:halo: Normally about 10% of the fare or a rounding it out, i.e. fare $35, give 'em $40. They are appreciative.

Remember ye olde saying...'Made round to go round.'

I think it's standard to round up a fare in a taxi if you're paying cash (if it's $18 give a $20 and say "keep the change"), but I've never tipped Uber in Australia.

Throughout December & Jan I was in the UK and the Uber app after my ride would ask if I'd like to tip - so I don't know if the Australian one does now, I haven't used it here in awhile. In the UK I added about 10% for the tip. The point of Uber is to be cashless, so if I visit the US again, hopefully the option is in the app (and I would tip 20%, in keeping with the culture).

But to actually answer your question, you won't be the odd one out for not tipping - I suspect most Aussies wouldn't, we're just not a tipping culture overall. You just say thanks and get out of the car. If it doesn't give the option in the app, then I definitely wouldn't offer a cash tip, I think that would be odd. I never have cash anyway!

Thank you all for your answers - your opinions are much appreciated! We will be in Perth and Sydney. I just checked Hi Oscar for Perth and that sounds great. It's good to know about all of the alternatives out there - and now I know that NO TIPPING means NO TIPPING :-)

Thank you all for your answers - your opinions are much appreciated! We will be in Perth and Sydney. I just checked Hi Oscar for Perth and that sounds great. It's good to know about all of the alternatives out there - and now I know that NO TIPPING means NO TIPPING :-)

No Tipping

Isn’t 100% correct.

For example as others have said in a taxi many round up, though I sometimes think that is for the passengers benefit as much as the driver, no waiting for change, less coins in the pocket

No Tipping

Isn’t 100% correct.

For example as others have said in a taxi many round up, though I sometimes think that is for the passengers benefit as much as the driver, no waiting for change, less coins in the pocket

People still use cash ?? How prehistoric!! I haven't had cash of any description in my purse since the day PayPass came into existence.

No need for "rounding up" to avoid coins etc. Purse weighs practically nothing. Can't get mugged or conned by beggars as I tell them genuinely "get with the times mate - who carries cash!".

BUT - even when I did carry cash - as someone who catches taxi's multiple times per week for many decades - I have never ever rounded up a fare. I pay exactly what is on the meter.

Being cashless doesn't stop muggings, your credit cards, phone, watch, etc are all still valuable. At least for a few hours anyway.

Credit cards can be cancelled in a nano second and even if they are used in that time - pay pass is restricted to $100 and credit card companies re-imburse for loss almost instantaneously.

Haven't worn a watch since I got a mobile phone in 1993.

The last mugging I experienced was exactly 8 days ago here in Melb - and I told the twit exactly where to stuff himself so he cowered off with his tail between his legs. 15 min later he was in the back seat of a cop car. I don't hand my phone over to anyone who isn't prepared to pay cash for it! Pretty sure he won't be trying that again on any female again soon. ;p:halo:

Suffice to say - the only real muggings that occur are people in Aus accepting tips in a non-tipping country - as they are taking the customer for a mug!! :hot-beverage:

Credit cards can be cancelled in a nano second and even if they are used in that time - pay pass is restricted to $100 and credit card companies re-imburse for loss almost instantaneously.

The last mugging I experienced was exactly 8 days ago here in Melb - and I told the twit exactly where to stuff himself so he cowered off with his tail between his legs. 15 min later he was in the back seat of a cop car. I don't hand my phone over to anyone who isn't prepared to pay cash for it! Pretty sure he won't be trying that again on any female again soon. ;p:halo:

Suffice to say - the only real muggings that occur are people in Aus accepting tips in a non-tipping country - as they are taking the customer for a mug!! :hot-beverage:

Tipping is a personal thing, I tip and am no mug, nor do I consider those accepting my tips, a mug. Crikey, Melbourne sounds a dangerous place these days, I think I will stay away.:halo:

Tipping is a personal thing, I tip and am no mug, nor do I consider those accepting my tips, a mug. Crikey, Melbourne sounds a dangerous place these days, I think I will stay away.:halo:

It was a first for me in Melb - just a loser ice addict in my local CBD park. He quaked in his boots when I let rip at him.

People still use cash ?? How prehistoric!! I haven't had cash of any description in my purse since the day PayPass came into existence.

No need for "rounding up" to avoid coins etc. Purse weighs practically nothing. Can't get mugged or conned by beggars as I tell them genuinely "get with the times mate - who carries cash!".

BUT - even when I did carry cash - as someone who catches taxi's multiple times per week for many decades - I have never ever rounded up a fare. I pay exactly what is on the meter.

Yep I use cash almost exclusively.

It was a first for me in Melb - just a loser ice addict in my local CBD park. He quaked in his boots when I let rip at him.

I can understand your concerns then. :cool::*:hearteyes:I hope he gets convicted and sent to Pentridge, if it is still open for miscreants.

It is hard to cancel your cards quickly, if they took the phone as well and the cards may be limited to $100 transactions but they can do multiple transactions in minutes. I know the CC offer reimbursement but it is still inconvenient.

In any case, you were lucky the mugger wasn't armed and you have it all sorted.:D

Absolutely. It's false to say there's no tipping here.

It's more accurate to say it's not (mostly) expected. But tipping has been around here for decades, mostly in taxis and restaurants.

Walked around by myself last night didn't feel in safe at all have gone in many times by myself things can happen anywhere anytime not just Melbourne I hope it never happens to me that someone Rob's me so far so good , I tip sometimes for good food I can't afford much but I'll give what I can sometimes if I get great service and food

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Forums mobile app

Absolutely. It's false to say there's no tipping here.

It's more accurate to say it's not (mostly) expected. But tipping has been around here for decades, mostly in taxis and restaurants.

The expectation of tips in Australia exists in direct relation to the density of American tourists in any particular situation.

In any case, you were lucky the mugger wasn't armed and you have it all sorted.:D

Neither he nor his 2 mates would have been game to try any kind of weapon near me. His mates turned and sprinted the second I started verbally laying into him - he himself was too shocked to do anything other than stand there mute. Sorry - I don't kowtow to vermin !!

Note also this was 10am on a Saturday morning.

I walk the entire distance of the CBD very late at night after the theatre every single week without any issue at all in the entire time I have lived in Melb.