Fresh off Fantasy w/ Star Wars Day, Some Comparisons with RCCL

coldflame

We just disembarked the Fantasy after a wonderful week through the Eastern Caribbean. Instead of one more reviews of which there are hundreds, I'm going to do a brief comparison between DCL and RCCL. Note that I'm only going to mention and highlight things that are different one way or another and will omit those which I think are similar or have little difference worth nothing.

Embarkation/Disembarkation

Without a doubt Royal takes the cake in this area. In the oasis with some 1500 extra people on board we've done car door to ship in 20 minutes or less both times. On DCL, I've absolutely no idea how they can mess this up so much, but of 8 times on their ships none has been less than 1-1.5 hours. And this last one it took 2:15 literally standing outside the terminal. Disembarkation is always super hectic on DCL -- even when self-carrying. In contrast RCCL is super relaxed, no jams, no standing in line, etc.

MDR + Buffet Food

In terms of quality, taste and texture of the food, DCL is heads and shoulders above RCCL in this criteria. DCL MDR and Buffet food is on par or better than RCCL "fine dining". Surely appreciated daily boiled shrimp, muscles and crab legs at the Cabanas and just in general I didn't eat anything I was unhappy with. Food aside, The Cabanas experience is SO MUCH FRIGGIN better than RCCL's Windjammer, much like I don't understand why DCL is so bad with boarding/disembarking, I cannot fathom how RCCL can mess up the buffet experience like that.

Service

Generally the service of DCL was a notch better than RCCL's. Not a substantial difference, mind you, but credit where credit is due and DCL service is A+ whereas I'd rank RCCL's at A- or B+.

Theater Plays

In this regard, RCCL has the upper hand. Their plays are thoroughbred Broadway shows with an insane display of talent and technical theater. DCL plays on the other hand feel juvenile, in spite of great cast and potential with theater facilities, they feel flakey, cheesey (and not in the good way) as well as pretty underwhelming writing. And it's not necessarily an age thing because both of our kids made us walk out in the middle of Wishes whereas they both *loved* the musical (a 2h30m show!) and the acrobatic show on the Oasis.

Loyalty Program

DCL might as well discontinue the Castaway Club program. They have gutted any value it once had. In the latest cut, they have eliminated the small reception for gold and platinum members on cruises less than 10 days long -- guess how many 10-day cruises the Fantasy does a year? Yup, NONE. In contrast the Crown & Anchor program has tangible benefits even at lower tiers, they aren't spectacular, but WAY better than DCL has -- which is nothing.

Miscellaneous Notes

• Star Wars Day at Sea is absolutely NOT worth the premium over non-SW sailings. My daughter, son and I are pretty big fans of the franchise and were looking forward to it. My son put our experience well "it was fun, but not really impressive". So, my advice for folks considering forking the sometimes ridiculous premium (some times in the $thousands) -- which I've seen in this forums a lot -- is save the money and go on a regular sailing. You can celebrate 5/4 and go all out at home :)
  • Because DCL isn't interested in nickel and diming, our final balance was about $300 less than on Royal (and this is including the 10-picture pack). Granted, DCL charges it all upfront, but it's nice to have a predictable balance at the end of the cruise.
  • The replacement of the Aarrrrrcade with the "premium" gelato shop was a big bummer for both of my kids. They both enjoyed the arcade and the gelato is good, but not worth the extra when you have so many good option already included in the price.

I'm surprised at the embarkation issues. 5 Disney cruises so far, I think the longest it took from curb to stepping onto the ship was 1 hour, usually about 40 minutes. Our last disembark it took us 5 minutes to find our bags in the terminal, 5 minute line to customs, 2 minutes there and done. Maybe we have just been lucky.

While there is a sort of corny component (although to me it is in an enjoyable way, maybe since I am used to it and expect it) to the Disney stage productions on the Fantasy some of my favorite memories are sharing those shows with my kids, particularly when they were elementary school age, watching our daughter scramble around to try to scoop up all the confetti or streamers she could after the show as keepsakes. My main complaint with the Disney stage productions is that they don't change them or rotate them among ships often enough. I definitely think the stage productions we saw on Royal had more to offer for the adults and for a wider range of show patrons.

I would agree on the service issue. Service on our Royal sailing was good but it just did not come across with quite the same sense of warmth and effortlessness as it does on Disney. I don't know if it is a difference in the what they pay or training or their screening process or just a more clearly defined set of expectations for staff but we have always been very impressed with service on Disney. I still remember a few times when our daughter was younger, having a bad day or just in a bad mood and staff in Cabanas would notice and go out of their way to find a way to bring a smile to her, little things but they leave a real impression.

I appreciate your comparison although we have no intention of doing anything other than Disney when with family but enjoy crystal or silver sea for adult only cruises. A couple of issues though I’m just curious about.

We are doing an 11 night fantasy cruise on June 30 so there are cruises 10 days and over. We could care less about the reception but we do enjoy the free dinner in Palo and the gifts for platinum.

Sorry you don’t like the Disney shows. Having been to many broadway shows I personally find the production value and talent excellent. And way better than on an adult oriented small ship like crystal. Guess I wouldn’t sit through a two and half hour show anyway on a cruise. But I do like as much variety as possible including magicians and musicians. Last year we did a 10 night fantasy cruise and the entertainment was the best we have seen. I hope for the same in June,

Glad you found the food better. Even with comparing to a luxury ship like crystal, I have always thought the Disney food was excellent. And we rarely do cabanas. During the day we do the quick service deli and grill outside and hang by the pool and always do the dining rooms at night.

As for service, we have done a couple of celebrity cruises and princess cruises years ago. Worst service ever. Disney is always top notch even compared to a small line like crystal where every staff member knows your name and drink preference within a day of boarding.

For us the intangible is the entire Disney experience. We have an adult disabled daughter. We take her on a cruise every year and always bring her best friend. As long as they still enjoy the characters and as long as the staff treats them like princesses, which they always do, we will always do Disney regardless of price or destination.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm curious about the embarkation issues. Did you arrive at your scheduled Port Arrival Time? Or did you show up whenever it worked for you?

The only time we've had significant waiting since they went to the PAT system was when we were on the first bus from the airport. The bus got in about 10:15; we walked right into the terminal and checked in but boarding didn't start till 11:15. Thus, we did hang out in the terminal for about an hour.

They biggest problem with DCL's check in system is that there are huge numbers of people who are convinced that they must be at the terminal at 10:30. The point of the PAT system is to spread them out, but people just don't listen. They also don't realize that being at the terminal early doesn't mean that you'll be on the ship any earlier. We haven't seen this to the same extent on any other line. Yes, most others have some early birds, but not to the extent that DCL does. Others tend to have a large number of people arrive shortly after 11 when they are required to be out of their hotels.

Our embarkation on DCL has normally been smooth, but we've had a couple bad experiences. These were usually caused by Customs issues, not by DCL.

We are platinum, and I agree that the only worthwhile perks are the Palo dinner and the goodie bag in the room. The reception has been going downhill for years (but then I remember the era of coconut shrimp). The other perks went from real discounts to "bonus with purchase" stuff, which we have no real interest in. I do like the free internet perk on Princess.

Thanks for your good review.

I'm curious about the embarkation issues. Did you arrive at your scheduled Port Arrival Time? Or did you show up whenever it worked for you?

We've been 8 times on DCL. The first two times we arrived ~ 30 minutes before PAT. we've then varied between right one time' date=' some times slightly before and sometimes a few minutes after. This latest time we arrive at 12:30 on the clock, our PAT.

They biggest problem with DCL's check in system is that there are huge numbers of people who are convinced that they must be at the terminal at 10:30. The point of the PAT system is to spread them out, but people just don't listen. They also don't realize that being at the terminal early doesn't mean that you'll be on the ship any earlier. We haven't seen this to the same extent on any other line. Yes, most others have some early birds, but not to the extent that DCL does. Others tend to have a large number of people arrive shortly after 11 when they are required to be out of their hotels.

You might be right about this. I think DCL is not strict enough to enforce PAT and the people abuse it. If DCL would be stricter and turn people away who are > 30 minutes before PAT; at first you'd see hell break loose, but after a while the word would spread and we might see an improvement in the overall experience.

Thanks for your good review.

Thanks for your thoughts and reply.

your comparison was actually between DCL and Royal's big ships, not royal in general......

we sail both DCL and Royal and enjoy both, but there is a markedly different experience on Royal when you sail their big showstopper ships and the rest of their fleet - especially in the theater experience.....

the smaller royal ships have very cringeworthy lounge lizardy sort of shows that are excruciatingly difficult for me to sit through and i typically don't anymore other than when they have outside comedians/ventriloquists/etc.....

but their regular theater shows on the non-mega-big ships?...really horrible..

as for embarkation - i was indeed impressed by how quickly royal managed to get 6,000 on board the allure....

and our other royal boarding experiences have also been good....

but then again, our DCL embarkation experiences have also been very good....so for us there hasn't been any difference..

and the same for disembarkation....we haven't noticed a difference...

we tend to disembark last....or close to last....as late as possible....

so there really aren't very many people left by the time we leave the ship....perhaps this makes it easier...

one area where Royal was better in our experience was in handling handicapped issues..

i have to qualify this by saying i'm comparing only one royal experience and 1 DCL experience...

i took my mom on the Disney Dream back in 2012 and on the Radiance of the Seas in 2015...

since the DCL cruise was 6 years ago, perhaps they've improved, but this was our experience..

She is extremely low vision (legally blind)....

i notified both cruise lines in advance....

royal got back to me with the various services they offered and i assume it was marked on our reservation...

on DCL, we were actually concierge (in a 1 bedroom suite), so i notified both the cruise line and concierge....

i never really got much of a response from DCL and on board the ship, the ONE time i asked for assistance from concierge and guest services i got nothing.

And i'm still disappointed.

As i said, my mother is extremely low vision....in a theater, her only chance of seeing anything is from the front row..

she can't see much from there, but she can see a little bit....

and she also of course walks slowly - not due to health, but so she won't fall over and kill herself...

she uses a cane just for balance because of her vision, not because of mobility...

my sister was also with us, and she's very slow walking (after fighting 3 kinds of cancer for 14 years - yes, that would slow you down too)..

anyway, so i asked DCL if they could somehow either save my mom a front row seat so that she could see..

and if not that, at least let me into the theater early so that i could get my mom to the front row before the mad rush of people..

so what did they tell me?

get in line early so that you can be the first...

so i'm supposed to stand in line for a half hour with my elderly, blind mom and cancer ridden sister

then race to the front when the doors open to try to beat the mad dash of people going to the front????????

and yes, i actually tried doing it..

we ended up in the fourth row and my mom couldn't see anything..

so she didn't come to the theater after that....

DCL was useless in this situation...totally useless..

and i found out just how useless they were in comparison to royal a few years later when i took my mom on the radiance of the seas in alaska...

talk about a completely opposite experience....unbelievably so...

we boarded the radiance in seward, alaska....

the terminal there is obviously very basic...

we arrived at the terminal at about 1 pm - we wanted to board when the rooms were already open so we aimed for 1:00.

this also allowed us to spend the morning at exit glacier...

since we'd walked from our hotel (after picking up our carry-ons from hotel storage), i had my mom in her wheelchair (we had a wheelchair with us just in case and for long distances)...

so my daughter, son in law, my mom in her wheelchair and i walked up to the terminal...

we were immediately shown to the HA check in desk - which in this terminal was a regular desk - so that it was at wheelchair height...

they had my daughter and son in law check in at the other HA check in desk right next to us, so that we could stay together..

as they checked us in, they told us the various services Royal offers low vision...

someone will read through the entire menu at every meal if you need....she didn't need that as she had me..

but if she'd wanted it, someone would have gone through the entire menu with her at every meal....

also, special low vision cruise compasses were left in our stateroom each night....

and one was already in our stateroom when we got there....

it's a cruise compass in massively large print, on special paper...pretty cool....she still wasn't able to read it as her vision has gone too much, but still very cool that they do that....

they also told us that someone would be meeting her on board to take her on a personal tour of the entire ship to give her the lay of the land so to speak....

and they said to please be sure to ask guest services for anything else we might need...

when we boarded the ship, at some point - i don't know when and i don't know how she found us, but a member of guest services (or maybe the cruise directors staff? not sure) came and found my mom, gave her a gift...which was lovely in and of itself and took my mom (and me) on a full tour of the ship...

it was just amazing....she was lovely and sweet and told my mom to please contact her if she needed anything...

oh and she gave my mom a lanyard to put her key in (i forget what it's called on royal) to wear around her neck...

at that moment, i didn't think about the theater, so i didn't ask about it at that time...

later in the day, i remembered the theater issue, so i went down to guest services and asked if there was any way for them to reserve a seat for my mom in the front row due to the vision issue...

the person at guest services said she would check and get back to me..

they later told me that we should just go to the theater and there would be seats held for her..

so that evening, we of course got to the theater early as we always do...

the four of us went in, and discovered they had marked four seats in the front row center for my mom and the rest of us..

that was soooooooooooooooo nice.....my mom was sooooooooooooooo happy.....

and every night they had those seats marked reserved for us...

i can't tell you how helpful that was...

we didn't have to worry and my mom could actually see something from there...

not that the shows are so great or anything..

but even just when the CD is talking, it's nice for her to see a body moving..

she can't make out detail (even when she's standing right in front of you, she can't see your facial details), but she can see there's someone there moving around....it made it so much nicer..

i thanked guest services profusely.....just that little thing made such a difference to her cruise experience...

i should add that on royal we were in a regular verandah stateroom, not suite or concierge or anything like that..

anyway, royal was just overall so very helpful and thoughtful...

again, i'm only comparing one experience with each cruise line..

i only took my mom on those two cruises...

so perhaps those were outliers....i don't know...

but that was our experience between the disney dream and the radiance of the seas...

i will say that in general - other than that HA issue - we prefer DCL to Royal, though we also enjoy Royal very much...

Edited by alaska_planner

we must have been on the same Star Wars cruise and we loved it! So much better compared to our last RCCL cruise on one of their smaller ships and we have cruised about the same times with both lines at 5+ cruises each line. We are cancelling future RCCL cruises after the comparisn. I would say Disney puts out a fairly consistent product regardless of ship while RCCL seems to have gone downhill at least for non-Oasis or Allure cruises.

I do find it odd that DCL couldn't or wouldn't reserve at least 2 seats for you in the front row. I know those are prime seats, but they have no problem reserving a section of seats for deaf cruisers---typically front starboard area.

As to HA services on DCL...when they happen, it is from the courtesy of one CM rather than a "policy." My first time cruising with a friend who used a wheelchair full time, the check in CM authorized us to board when we had checked in without waiting till our number was called. She signed our boarding card and said that if there was any problem to ask the person supervising boarding to check with her. The other nice thing was that we happened to see the officer in charge of dining while we were at lunch on embarkation day. It doesn't hurt that I've known him since he was an assistant server, but he did ask if there was anything he could do to assist with her dining experience. I asked for a table on an aisle so that she could more easily wheel in and transfer to a dinner seat; it was done.

They were completely confused as to the muster drill. I called GS to ask if there was anything we needed to know and to be sure they were aware that she'd need an elevator; the individual I spoke with said that she would be excused from the drill. Then, after the 7 horns sounded, someone called the room to see whether we'd need assistance for the drill. Ummmm....get your act together people. Yes, if you expect her to attend, we need elevator assistance. If you are going to excuse her, stick to that plan. And as you know, the general rule in a chair is to get there early and avoid the crowds.

They do have wheelchair seating in the first row IF you get there soon enough to be taken thru the crew hallways and get a seat and you can transfer. They take the chair to a hallway and bring it to you after the show. Well, one night they forgot to bring the chair. We sat and waited. They made an announcement about clearing the theatre so they could get ready for the next show. We sat. Finally the house manager came down and politely told us that we'd have to leave. I replied that we were waiting for her wheelchair to be brought to her. They were majorly apologetic. It seems that the CMs had changed shift and no one was told that there was a chair that would be needed after the show. No biggie, but definitely dropped the ball.

Bottom line--we didn't need much, but got essentially nothing in terms of planned assistance.

I do contrast this with Princess where without asking, we are provided with a muscular gentleman who pushes my daughter's wheelchair to her cabin. That's a great thing because I don't think I could handle some of those gangways.

I will say upfront that I have not sailed on Disney. Still looking for a nice cruise to go on. I have sailed RCCL, and have been on small, medium, and large ships. All the shows were very good on all size ships. There is a lot more to do on the larger ships like Freedom and Oasis class. So anyone out there answer this. What perks does Disney have for suite guests? On Royal, they have reserved seats at the pool and in the theater, concierge lounge with concierge who takes care of the small things. On larger ships they have Coastal Kitchen for meals. Just asking for a comparison; thanks and have a great Sunday

I will say upfront that I have not sailed on Disney. Still looking for a nice cruise to go on. I have sailed RCCL, and have been on small, medium, and large ships. All the shows were very good on all size ships. There is a lot more to do on the larger ships like Freedom and Oasis class. So anyone out there answer this. What perks does Disney have for suite guests? On Royal, they have reserved seats at the pool and in the theater, concierge lounge with concierge who takes care of the small things. On larger ships they have Coastal Kitchen for meals. Just asking for a comparison; thanks and have a great Sunday

DCL has a concierge class - not a suite class - as there are also regular verandah rooms that are concierge (in addition to the bigger staterooms).

DCL has a concierge lounge and a concierge section of the sundeck.

In the concierge lounge, there are several concierge staff who are in charge of taking care of concierge guest requests.

Also, before the cruise, there is a shoreside concierge staff that takes care of requests.

the concierge lounge has food offerings throughout the day as well as drinks and specialty coffee.

there is no special restaurant.

The Embarkation Process for Disney has gotten worse especially if you ride the DCL Bus to get to the port. On our last cruise, we took the DCL Bus and arrived at 11am. No PAT is picked during online check-in if taking the DCL Bus. We were traveling with another family, registered at the same time at Port Canaveral. We got Boarding Number 19 and they got boarding number 2. They are Silver and We are Gold Castaway Club Members. We weren't expecting that at all. But we didn't let that bring us down.

The Embarkation Process for Disney has gotten worse especially if you ride the DCL Bus to get to the port. On our last cruise, we took the DCL Bus and arrived at 11am. No PAT is picked during online check-in if taking the DCL Bus. We were traveling with another family, registered at the same time at Port Canaveral. We got Boarding Number 19 and they got boarding number 2. They are Silver and We are Gold Castaway Club Members. We weren't expecting that at all. But we didn't let that bring us down.

That may be why we haven't ever had a problem with boarding. We take our own transportation and while in the past we used to rush to get to the port as early as allowable, we've gotten wiser and time our arrival so that we can just walk on the ship after registration. Being platinum helps, since we don't need a boarding number.

As far as the Castaway Club goes, I agree with all the previous posters. Disney needs to up their game with recognizing loyalty. Maybe if they changed the system on how guests attain the various levels would help make it more exclusive.

DCL has a concierge class - not a suite class - as there are also regular verandah rooms that are concierge (in addition to the bigger staterooms).

DCL has a concierge lounge and a concierge section of the sundeck.

In the concierge lounge, there are several concierge staff who are in charge of taking care of concierge guest requests.

Also, before the cruise, there is a shoreside concierge staff that takes care of requests.

the concierge lounge has food offerings throughout the day as well as drinks and specialty coffee.

there is no special restaurant.

Beth thank you for your excellent explanation

I’ve seen more than one person in our roll calls say they book concierge because it guarantees them a cabana on Castaway Cay. Those are very popular and very limited.

Not worth it, IMO. Serenity Bay is so tranquil and quiet a cabana doesn't really add much value. Now a cabana in the family beach that I would pay for :D

As far as the Castaway Club goes, I agree with all the previous posters. Disney needs to up their game with recognizing loyalty. Maybe if they changed the system on how guests attain the various levels would help make it more exclusive.

They absolutely *have to*, specially in a very competitive market like cruising is now. From their perspective, of course, they know they have oodles of disney-heads drooling to be on DCL cruises so they **know** they can get away with anything which in this case means we get very little or nothing.

We were on the same cruise.

Just a quick note about the embarkation. We were told that there was a surprise Coast Guard inspection that was the cause of the delay. Every other time we have sailed DCL they started boarding between 11:30 and noon. This time it was after 1 pm. We were in the terminal but felt bad for everyone stuck outside.

I realize that DCL doesn't have any control over these inspections or delays but it sure would have been nice if they made any sort of announcement to everyone waiting as to why it was delayed. We only found out because we asked at the check in desk. Not very magical!

I realize that DCL doesn't have any control over these inspections or delays but it sure would have been nice if they made any sort of announcement to everyone waiting as to why it was delayed. We only found out because we asked at the check in desk. Not very magical!

Yes, this irked me a lot. They could have come out and told us what was going on instead of thousands of people frustrated wanting to know why they were outside for over an hour.

I had an absurdly long embarkation in Florida, but when I boarded in California, it was fine. Wasn't really at top of the mind until this post kind of highlighted it for me. Considering how great Disney controls crowds once on board, it does seem odd that embarkation was so slow. I don't remember disembarkation being slow as to be of any note.

We were on the same cruise.

Just a quick note about the embarkation. We were told that there was a surprise Coast Guard inspection that was the cause of the delay. Every other time we have sailed DCL they started boarding between 11:30 and noon. This time it was after 1 pm. We were in the terminal but felt bad for everyone stuck outside.

This makes sense. We are used to embarkation starting about 11:15; as noted, DCL has no control over Customs or Coast Guard.

As you noted, an announcement would have been nice. The other problem that can occur with embarkation is a Customs issue during the previous disembarkation--again, DCL can't help it.

One comment on the above--booking concierge does not guarantee a cabana on Castaway Cay although it markedly improves your chances. On the larger ships, there are more concierge cabins than there are cabanas. But I was at Castaway at least 10 times before they built the cabanas; you can have a great day without one.

As to the loyalty program--it has actually been reduced since inception. And compared to other lines, it stinks. I'm really looking forward to free internet that I'll qualify for on another line. From DCL's standpoint, cruisers with lower or no loyalty status spend more on the ship. And DCL has no problem with filling ships, so they don't have to reward loyalty. However, they've lost a lot of previous "frequent cruisers" thru their high prices and limited loyalty programs.

As to the loyalty program--it has actually been reduced since inception. And compared to other lines' date=' it stinks. I'm really looking forward to free internet that I'll qualify for on another line. From DCL's standpoint, cruisers with lower or no loyalty status spend more on the ship. And DCL has no problem with filling ships, so they don't have to reward loyalty. However, they've lost a lot of previous "frequent cruisers" thru their high prices and limited loyalty programs.[/quote']

Yup, as I mentioned above, it's a deliberate business decision. They *know* (as is, they have hard data) that they have multiple more 1st or 2nd time PAX than they do Gold or Platinum -- which is not the case with most other cruise lines, or if it is the difference is much, much narrower. So, instead of incentivizing loyalty, they focus on new PAX. My guess is they don't outright eliminate it because as-is costs them very little while not causing a big scene.

I totally agree with your comparisons. I posted a VERY similar comparison on the RCCL board when someone asked me how I could justify the price difference of a Disney cruise. For me, the 2 main areas in which they differ are food and service.

Until reading your post, I had actually forgotten how horrible embarkation AND debarkation was for Disney. YIKES! And we were the FIRST people to get on the ship because we were getting married....but we waited literally 4 times longer than it would have taken on RCCL. It was a complete zoo.