Pocket Wifi for Japan

molly2kit

Hello, hoping someone can give me some advice.

I land at Haneda airport in Tokyo April 20 and will be there for about a week. Leaving on Golden Princess from Yokohama April 27. We have several ports in Japan before going transpacific to Whittier Alaska.

I would like to rent a pocket wifi at the airport and use it to get to my hotel and for sightseeing before the cruise as well as at the 5 ports in Japan. Last port is Sapporo on May 5. I think I will need wifi for walking around the ports as so far only one excursion arranged.

I think I have read that they will give me an envelope to mail the device back from a mailbox. I thought I could just mail it back from the last port in Japan.

Can someone who has experience with pocket wifi advise me please.

Ports are Shimuzu, Osaka, Sakaiminato, Hakodate and Sapporo.

Thanks very much

I rented a pocket Wi-Fi for a week when we took land vacation in Japan last year. I received the information from Trip Advisor web site and I’m not sure if I can mention the name here. When I ordered it, I chose to mail it to my hotel and I received it when I checked in the hotel. It’s fully charged BTW.

Yes, they included a return envelope to mail it back and we mailedit back at Haneda airport.

You may want to also consider a local SIM card. Most new phones will let you tether other devices to them. Cuts down on items you have to carry and you continue to use your existing phone, just with a local number if you choose the voice and data option.

If you are not traveling alone two SIM cards would allow you to call each other if you are out and want to look at different things and meet up later.

Thanks for the advice. I was concerned about what would happen if we missed the last port due to weather or ? And then I couldn't mail it back. I will investigate the SIM card for Japan but unfortunately my carrier locks the sim to them and it costs $ 35 to unlock it, at least they did when I gave my last phone to a friend.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What type of phone and carrier? Most can be unlocked by codes you can find online. And some carriers will even help you unlock your phone if you explain what you are doing.

I'm in British Columbia Canada. When I got this IPhone 6 a few years ago I paid $35 to unlock my iPhone 4 so I could give it to a friend who was activating on a different network. It may be different now so I will check with my carrier tomorrow

I'm in British Columbia Canada. When I got this IPhone 6 a few years ago I paid $35 to unlock my iPhone 4 so I could give it to a friend who was activating on a different network. It may be different now so I will check with my carrier tomorrow

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/iphone/how-unlock-an-iphone-2017-uk-3501427/