Quai-Evil review Celebrity Equinox Eastern Med Feb 17-24-my .02

Tommy3putts

Greetings

I’ve done a few “My .02” Post Cruise Reviews but never really tried a “live” review or blog. We’ve got quite a bit of time at sea so I figured I’d give you a a Quasi-Evil attempt at a review, that will include many flashbacks. So what follows is a ; semi live; the margarine of reviews or Diet Coke of live reviews.

No guarantees on the frequency of posts, but in any event I’ll complete my review at some point.

Cheers

Tom

A bit of background about me and my wife. This is our third cruise on celebrity our first on the Equinox. Our previous two cruises were on the Reflection. So much of what follows will be a comparison between the two ships.

We are fifty somethings who currently live in Northern Virginia in the DMV area. We try to do at least one preferably two cruises a year. But often times we have to waive that for our desire to do extended European land vacations, so sometimes we don’t get to cruise as much as we’d like.

We were lucky enough to be able to come down to Miami two days before the cruise to enjoy a brief stay in South Beach. I will share pre-cruise review of our stay in a later post.

Okay we’ll get going in the next post.

I started this thread today which is actually day 2 of our cruise. We left Miami yesterday at 3:30 and are on our first Seas Day. We arrive in San Juan at 3:30 tomorrow afternoon. So I decided to start this review now.

FLASHBACK: Pre Cruise in Miami. I had a ton of Marriott points just waiting to be used so we decided to stay 2 night s in South Beach at the Marriott Stanton. The rooms were nice and you can’t beat the location but that’s it! Wow it was a huge disappointment. Basically it’s being transformed into a boutique type resort. It is no longer a true Marriott. See my TA & FB reviews for more info.

We enjoyed the 2 days in South Beach. Perfect weather. d6899a0e04b2d09ee5214f004a0f25ea.jpg

0c132ce9ed356f7416767b07898afcc9.jpg2e16b3e3887311d32fefc97e9b694524.jpg

b2fc35369e9dca31b51371d26b80857e.jpg

We did the "Irma" cruise in late January, but Equinox had not returned yet to St. Maarten, sadly, that was one of the draws of the itinerary for us. We enjoyed the sea days, hope you do as well - bon voyage!

Oooooo, this is candy; I'm having fun!

Hi thanks for following. We booked this cruise in October of 2016 and never gave a thought to changing after Irma. I’m looking forward to spending my beer money on the islands.

Cheers

Tom

Other random thoughts about our pre-cruise in no particular order

We flew on SWA from Reagan to Ft Lauderdale. Not a yuge fan of SWA but the airfare was considerably cheaper than AA or JB to Miami. Actually was a great easy flight.

Ubered from FLL to Miami Beach. It was $40. It took over an hour due to the Thursday am traffic but still worth it. We had a great driver. (Although not required we tipped our driver extra, it was worth it. Felt bad for him that it was so cheap)

Note that the Uber pick up spot is in between terminal 1 and 2 and 3 and 4. Follow signs for “ride share limo”

Also note in South Beach most all establishments will add 18-20% gratuity to your bar or food tabs. Be sure and ask.

Up next: Flashback back to Cruise day.

Fun! Thanks for the “real time” reviews.

Side note: We stayed at that Marriott in 2012? Or maybe 2013 but it was still just a regular Marriott and it was an as expected stay. Nothing spectacular but I did love the views and the roof top areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fun! Thanks for the “real time” reviews.

Side note: We stayed at that Marriott in 2012? Or maybe 2013 but it was still just a regular Marriott and it was an as expected stay. Nothing spectacular but I did love the views and the roof top areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From some of the other reviews of the hotel and based on my experience it’s apparent that they are in the middle of updating the hotel and doing some sort of transformation. Half of the public spaces were not in use. They no longer are using the space that housed the main restaurant and bar by the pool. It’s prime revenue space and it’s empty! Not sure if it will be in the Marriott family much longer (my speculation). Too bad.

It's probably too late to amend your title, but I'm assuming you actually meant E. Caribbean. Not Med.

Yeah Phat thumbs. Sorry, it should be “Quasi Evil.” I will also will choose to blame the internet, just because it’s the popular thing to do.

So another random comment before cruise day thoughts.

Kudos to RCCL, RCI and X for the new app. It’s not fully functional and deployed for all ships yet but it is available for the Equinox. I like!!! All the daily ship stuff at your fingertips. 6a921d2bc59504c255adb7f472e915e5.jpge2aca3fdd2d0e857f7333409e410da25.jpgit’s a great step in the right direction. Download it and check it out. Here are a few shots

FLASHBACK Cruise Day.

Gorgeous morning in South Beach. We took advantage of extra points for early check out and were out of our room by 0940ish. After I had a nice chat with the Manager on Duty we grabbed a cab and headed to terminal G. Easy! Took 15 -20 minutes door to door. Cab fare was &23.00 plus tip. We were checked in and were waiting (Aqua Class-more later) to board by 10:15. Boarding started at 10:50. Beer in hand at Sunset Bar by 1100.

36aeb9ec73db4de84985459e914cc510.jpg

A view from South Pointe Park towards Dodge Island

5d735122707df6aaa354d5fb290d6ded.jpg

Thanks for the time taken to post a live review. It is always fun to come along.

Thanks. Just paying it forward. Many great live thread posters out there. I’m just sticking my toe in the water on this one. Can’t guarantee the quality and quantity as we get deeper into our journey. Taking a beer break for a while.