Japan JR Pass - Temporary Visa Stamp in Passport on Arrival?

chrissie p

Hi

My husband and I are travelling to Japan on the Millennium in April this year. We are staying on for a week and basing ourselves in Kyoto but plan on travelling each day by train to various places using the JR Pass. We are ready to purchase this from the UK but have noticed that to activate the pass in Japan we need to have the Temporary Visitor stamp in our passport. As we will be arriving in the country on the cruise ship I just wondered if anyone had done similar in the past and will our passports be stamped on arrival? Our first stop in Japan will be in Kobe.

Many thanks in advance

Chris

Yes, your passports will be stamped. The stamp will allow you to stay in Japan no more than 90 days and is different from other stamps. This allows any government agency to know the purpose of your visit and length of time allowed by just checking your passport, which you are required to have on you at all times.

The exchange process is simple for the pass, and takes about 15-20 minutes. I don't know if you can exchange at the port or not, but they can do it at almost any major JR station.

Hi

My husband and I are travelling to Japan on the Millennium in April this year. We are staying on for a week and basing ourselves in Kyoto but plan on travelling each day by train to various places using the JR Pass. We are ready to purchase this from the UK but have noticed that to activate the pass in Japan we need to have the Temporary Visitor stamp in our passport. As we will be arriving in the country on the cruise ship I just wondered if anyone had done similar in the past and will our passports be stamped on arrival? Our first stop in Japan will be in Kobe.

Many thanks in advance

Chris

You may be surprised to learn that every year, 10's of thousands of travelers do exactly the same thing you are planning. And somehow it all works out.

You may be surprised to learn that every year, 10's of thousands of travelers do exactly the same thing you are planning. And somehow it all works out.

I can understand their confusion, everything on the JR pass site talks about what to do when landing from the airport. Nothing really covers how this works when arriving by ship.

Thanks for your helpful replies and reassurances :D

They also staple a small piece of paper into your passport which is removed as you exit through customs. Generally if you are arriving by ship immigration officers board early and do all paperwork. Our passports were collected when we boarded and returned to us just before arriving in Yokohama.

As with all things Japanese highly efficient.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for your helpful replies and reassurances :D

When you purchase the JR voucher in your home country, the passenger name on the voucher must match, identically, the name on the passport, including any and all middle names that might be on the passport.

When we entered Japan on Millennium last September, the Japanese immigration officials "set up shop" on board and processed passports there. When we disembarked at our first Japanese port there was a JR station nearby and we exchanged our vouchers for the train pass. You can decide at that time when you want the train pass to begin; it need not be that same day.