? Listening to TV sound on Balcony ??

Bevv

We have a balcony on an upcoming Star Princess Cruise. There will be times when we will be on the balcony rather than in public spaces. I have heard that the narration is on the TV. Has anyone been successful in hearing the narration on the balcony without leaving the balcony door open? I don't want to make the ship's heater work harder than it should. Maybe something like a wireless microphone/speaker setup?

What I was thinking was to get a baby monitor to use on the Balcony when we are out there to get sound on the balcony... no blasting the neighbors, no messing with the heating of the room by keeping balcony open ... etc.

What I was thinking was to get a baby monitor to use on the Balcony when we are out there to get sound on the balcony... no blasting the neighbors, no messing with the heating of the room by keeping balcony open ... etc.
In an area interesting enough for narration, everybody with a balcony will likely be on it listening with their door open. That's been my experience, anyway. It becomes kind of like a block party, complete with passing binoculars back and forth.

Maybe Princess should look at adding an option on Princess at Sea app to hear announcements as they’re made. We’ve found that many announcements are inaudible in our cabin, and over before we can get to the hallway.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Maybe a good idea to consider your neighbours.

They may be sleeping and not want to hear a narration !

You can watch on bridgecam with narration, inside your cabin and look out through balcony doors to avoid disturbing others.

Agree....we have been on several Princess cruises where people put speakers on their balconies and play music while docked....it really seems inconsiderate of all those around them who may not want to hear it.....I have no problem calling Guest Services and reporting them....it seems to work!! :evilsmile:

We have a balcony on an upcoming Star Princess Cruise. There will be times when we will be on the balcony rather than in public spaces. I have heard that the narration is on the TV. Has anyone been successful in hearing the narration on the balcony without leaving the balcony door open? I don't want to make the ship's heater work harder than it should. Maybe something like a wireless microphone/speaker setup?

Why bother the neighbors with your loud TV.

This thread makes me want to give up my balcony cabin and get an OV. I would be really annoyed if people on balconies around me were blaring their TV’s to hear out there. And speakers with music out there too? So much for enjoying my balcony.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If the ship is having narration during the scenic part of the cruise, there is no reason not to have the TV loud enough to hear on your balcony.

It is not like this is 3 in the morning. And the reason most people will book that cruise is for the scenic cruising included.

This is quite different from playing loud music on speakers on your balcony which is inconsiderate of your neighbors.

It could be worse. On one cruise we constantly heard the very loud TV in the next cabin. It came on very early in the morning and played the Wake Show over and over and over and... I tend to stay up late and don't want to hear someone else's TV through the wall early in the morning.

This thread makes me want to give up my balcony cabin and get an OV. I would be really annoyed if people on balconies around me were blaring their TV’s to hear out there. And speakers with music out there too? So much for enjoying my balcony.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In the middle of Glacier Bay, you would object to hearing the ranger explain what you are seeing and It's significance in the ecosystem? At Cape Horn, you would object to hearing the historian talk about Magellan and the significance of his voyage, and and then go on to talk about the monument?

Those, specifically, are the times narration is done on the television. The whole reason we were all hanging off of our balconies in miserable weather was to see Cape Horn, and learn about it. I'm not talking about blaring some movie while soaking up rays.

And I would wonder why everybody isn't up and excited to see such a magnificent place. We all travel differently. (I have never gone to any of the evening shows. They don't interest me. I'm there for the ports and the scenery onshore.)

It takes a few hours to get from the mouth of the bay to where the glaciers start. On my Alaskan cruise, years ago, the narration didn't start until 8:30 or so. People were up and talking excitedly much earlier, however.

I have Apple "airpods" which are wireless Bluetooth ear buds. You plug in a Bluetooth transmitter to the head phone jack of the TV (or any headphone jack for that matter) and it broadcasts the sound to the airpods wirelessly. No bothering anyone else. Works great for late night TV too.

This is the one I have, works great and has great range. It can handle two sets of airpods so you and your mate can listen at the same time. (or just use one airpod for each of you)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0769Q8YW1/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On our upcoming cruise the Glacier Bay scenic cruising begins at 6am. I would hope people wouldn't start broadcasting the commentary on their balconies that early.

On the 4 cruises (Alaska X2, South America, and the Panama Canal) we've been on with broadcasted commentary I've never been bothered. Nor have I heard any of my fellow passengers complain about the broadcasted narration; in fact it most of us appreciate it greatly.

We'll be doing our 3rd Alaska cruise with Glacier Bay this summer. We will be up early and I encourage you to do so too. Don't be out on your balcony - get up on deck or on the promenade so you can move from side to side. On our first cruise the captain spotted a grizzly bear on the beach, made an announcement over the speaker, and then slowed the ship down so everyone could get a look at it. The on board naturalist made it to the bridge to do an impromptu narration about grizzlies. The scenery is spectacular. Enjoy your cruise!

On the 4 cruises (Alaska X2, South America, and the Panama Canal) we've been on with broadcasted commentary I've never been bothered. Nor have I heard any of my fellow passengers complain about the broadcasted narration; in fact it most of us appreciate it greatly.

We'll be doing our 3rd Alaska cruise with Glacier Bay this summer. We will be up early and I encourage you to do so too. Don't be out on your balcony - get up on deck or on the promenade so you can move from side to side. On our first cruise the captain spotted a grizzly bear on the beach, made an announcement over the speaker, and then slowed the ship down so everyone could get a look at it. The on board naturalist made it to the bridge to do an impromptu narration about grizzlies. The scenery is spectacular. Enjoy your cruise!

Everyone cruises for their own reasons, and no one should be forced to listen to the narration if they aren't interested in it.

The Bluetooth idea sounds like the best way to hear the narration without forcing it on anyone else.

Everyone cruises for their own reasons, and no one should be forced to listen to the narration if they aren't interested in it.

The Bluetooth idea sounds like the best way to hear the narration without forcing it on anyone else.

Agree. Unfortunately we had One NCL Alaska cruise glacier passage, RUINED when they allowed Ranger Elmer Fudd,

free reign of the ships speaker system!!! Elmer broadcast over EVERY Ship Speaker! You heard him Everywhere you went!

On Deck, Restaurants, Hallways, INSIDE and Outside your cabin. :o

You could NOT Get away from him droning on..... it went on for about 4 HOURS!:mad:

HORRIBLE.

Many people complained. I remember standing in line a t Cust. Serv. with my hands over my ears.

The crew looked Miserable, because you could NOT carry on a conversation,

or conduct business, with Elmer blasting for HOURS.

I Never want to be held hostage by Ranger Elmer, ever again.

The TV option is at least a safe bet, If you are in your cabin.

Or want to stroll the decks Looking at the Scenery in

Peace and QUIET. Thats what Alaska is about. Serenity Now.

We Need a Choice to Listen or Not. NO ELMER!

I think that’s a great idea!!!

Tony

The star has brand new TV's with Bluetooth connectivity so they can be used as speakers. They can get LOUD..but it's a very nice feature for enjoying music on something more robust than a phone speaker. I'd say the TV speakers are above average.

One note, carefully read the directions on the TV screen when in Bluetooth mode to connect. All the TV's have similar "names" and all will show up on your phone. I counted 15 different TV's showing up on my phone. Obviously you have to pair it to play the first them, then its easy. Overall a nice touch by princess.

Photos of the TV's are near the bottom of this post.

http://cruisingrobsblog.blogspot.com/2017/12/pictures-of-star-post-drydock-121617.html?m=1

The star has brand new TV's with Bluetooth connectivity so they can be used as speakers. They can get LOUD..but it's a very nice feature for enjoying music on something more robust than a phone speaker. I'd say the TV speakers are above average.

One note, carefully read the directions on the TV screen when in Bluetooth mode to connect. All the TV's have similar "names" and all will show up on your phone. I counted 15 different TV's showing up on my phone. Obviously you have to pair it to play the first them, then its easy. Overall a nice touch by princess.

Photos of the TV's are near the bottom of this post.

http://cruisingrobsblog.blogspot.com/2017/12/pictures-of-star-post-drydock-121617.html?m=1

Pretty cool. Bluetooth headsets aren't expensive and you could listen as loud as you liked with nobody else hearing a thing. Or... Were you saying the TV can be used as a speaker and didn't mean that they can also broadcast? Hopefully they can go both ways.